Annoying media buzz words.

arguably

personally I

I personally

I feel (rather than I think)

step up to the plate (grrrrrrr)

stone-wall(ed) - when it's really stone-cold

The overuse of all superlatives; as though describing something as "superb" or "brilliant" makes it so.

"Step up to the plate" has certainly risen from nothing and is everywhere now.

Like a lot of these cliches, it's entered the business world too.

worst of the lot.............wake up and smell the coffee

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

will people on here stop using it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate "he ran his socks off".

I also hate it when someone scores a penalty and they say "he sent the keeper the wrong way." No he didn't. The keeper guessed incorrectly. I admit, there are occassions when players accentuate their body position and use their eyes to decieve, but 9 times out of 10, it is a case of the keeper incorrectly guessing which way he was going to shoot.

And it grates me when you hear someone say "he's got a hamstring" when talking about someone who has a hamstring injury. Of course he has a hamstring you plank.

And it annoys me when people say "away goals count double." Err... no they don't. If the first leg is 0-0 and the second leg is 2-1 to the home team, the aggregate score is not 2-2.

And don't get me started on "110%". Grrrrrrr!

I hate the "....understands"

BBC Sports Understands
Sky Sources Understands
The daily mail understands

I still don't think anything trumps 'big ask'.

In a non footballing context the most misused word of the last two years in the media has been "culture" (particularly at the BBC); which seems to encompass just about anything!

I also cannot stand the way some youths sentences are constituted almost entirely by the word 'like'.

Nor any portmanteau; seriously, has anyone every heard one that isn't entirely cringeworthy?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.