Another blue gone too soon | RIP Barry James

That's him mate. One of his hero's was Phil Lynot from Thin Lizzy fame. He had a few different names for his bands while he was sorting out his favoured line up. He played Phil Lynot 10th anniversary gig at the point theatre in Dublin in front of about 7000 and was a real gigging guy. Always working, always smiling never too busy to say hello and have a chat. He had a navy blue transit van and he had an electronic ramp fitted to transport his Mum in her wheelchair. He would pick up every band member before a gig and drop them home afterwards. Had a big head of afro hair, great musician and singer. Had a huge repertoire of songs, purple rain from Prince being one of his covers but he wrote stuff too. Played loads in the osheas and the 32 club in town with a few Irish musos. If nothing else it'd be nice for his family to be able to read comments from fellow blues who may have seen him play over the years. I think brasingamans in Alderley Edge and the galleon in Gatley were another couple of his gigs. He supported Georgie Fame at Blackpool Tower ballrooms years ago too.
Saw them a lot - old stomping grounds of mine - v sad to hear. RIP!

I was gutted to hear the news a couple of days ago, but it’s so nice to see a thread for Baz on here. I got to know him when he was with Toss the Feathers, and then later he was a regular at O’Sheas. Absolute gem of a bloke, great musician and a big blue. He even played at our wedding nearly 20 years ago. I sorted him a ticket for a game last season, forget which game but he must have been ill then. A really sad loss, Baz was genuinely the kind of person that lit the room up. RIP Baz

The season after Gillingham but the same year, December 1999 we won 4-1. Great night in there at the end of the season when we beat Blackburn 4-1 on a Sunday. I got back, straight into Didsbury. The band played Blue moon. All the roads were full of Blues, stopped the traffic, the police had to clear the road.
Remember it well mate I was cab driving and all my mates were on the piss blocking the road. Not my best decision that night.

It's the measure of the man that once I realised who it was who'd passed I have been quite upset all evening, in spite of not seeing him for probably fifteen years, maybe more. If you met him once and chatted, no matter how briefly, you felt like you'd know him all your life. His enthusiasm, kindness and big smile instantly put you at ease. In spite of being a superbly talented artist he had absolutely no airs about him. He was just a lovely human being as anybody who has met him will readily testify.

I found his Facebook page and it has some links to videos of him playing on YouTube. Do yourselves a favour and watch them. There is a heartbreaking video of him on the Facebook page entitled his last performance. He is in the hospice playing his guitar to an audience of his family, friends and nurses. In spite of being so ill his performance is remarkable and the humour and smile never leaves his face. What a human being. Rest in peace Barry.

Really lovely words guys. I'll be sure to pass them on.

I was gutted to hear the news a couple of days ago, but it’s so nice to see a thread for Baz on here. I got to know him when he was with Toss the Feathers, and then later he was a regular at O’Sheas. Absolute gem of a bloke, great musician and a big blue. He even played at our wedding nearly 20 years ago. I sorted him a ticket for a game last season, forget which game but he must have been ill then. A really sad loss, Baz was genuinely the kind of person that lit the room up. RIP Baz
Really lovely words guys. I'll be sure to pass them on.

RIP Barry James.

Not sure if this is the right place but I heard this morning that Barry James the younger brother of the late Dougie James (of soultrain fame) has passed away. He was a big blue.
I'd lost touch over the years but he joined the band toss the feathers as lead singer for a few years in the late 90's and had his own bands for years before and after that. He also played often with Dougie James and the soul train.
He was a top bloke and I'm sure he will be sadly missed by his long time partner Jane, his daughter Dominique and any other offspring and relatives. If anyone knows any more details please post and I'll try and get messages to the family through contacts I have. He lived a long time in Wythenshawe but last I heard he had been playing a residency in Amsterdam. He played at Knutsford wine bar a lot when I knew him as well as around Wilmslow, Alderley Edge, Didsbury, City centre Manchester, as well as touring the UK, Ireland and Europe. I'm trying to get more details and will try and post but I think he was only about 60 years of age. RIP Baz.
Sorry to hear this. My cousin used to play along side him in Toss the Feathers.

RIP Barry James.

Not sure if this is the right place but I heard this morning that Barry James the younger brother of the late Dougie James (of soultrain fame) has passed away. He was a big blue.
I'd lost touch over the years but he joined the band toss the feathers as lead singer for a few years in the late 90's and had his own bands for years before and after that. He also played often with Dougie James and the soul train.
He was a top bloke and I'm sure he will be sadly missed by his long time partner Jane, his daughter Dominique and any other offspring and relatives. If anyone knows any more details please post and I'll try and get messages to the family through contacts I have. He lived a long time in Wythenshawe but last I heard he had been playing a residency in Amsterdam. He played at Knutsford wine bar a lot when I knew him as well as around Wilmslow, Alderley Edge, Didsbury, City centre Manchester, as well as touring the UK, Ireland and Europe. I'm trying to get more details and will try and post but I think he was only about 60 years of age. RIP Baz.
He was a top top Blue and he used to play with my late brother Andrew in O’sheas for years. He was the sort of bloke who would go out of his way for you no bother. Even though I left Mcr a few years ago we kept in touch and I was in Italy on cup final day this year and he phoned up for a chat and told me he was stage 4 with cancer. Not one for sympathy he said I’m going in the Red Lion in Withington dressed as full kit wanker to see the game he didn’t give a fiddlers fart!. He knew everyone and used to be good Pals with Phil Lynott and used to be his gardener till Phil’s death. He was probably one of the best frontmen I ever saw and there was nothing he couldn’t sing if you shouted it up. One of my many happy memories with him was Sheff Wed away (6-2) when Bernabia was playing. He phoned me last week for a good chat and did the same on Monday.What a sad loss I’m still coming to terms with he’s not around. RIP Baz. .

Attachments

• IMG_4205.jpeg
    IMG_4205.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.