Another Maine Road watering hole goes

Victory Street, that was the place to be, both the Osbourne and the Gardeners both great little pubs with plenty of atmosphere, and at the end of Victory street, you had the Sherwood on Claremont Road all within two minutes distance of one another, we had some great times great memories.
Great ambush territory on Derby Day, remember rags getting trapped between Sherwood and Osbourne/Gardeners/Lord Lyon. Suddenly lost their voices and scattered...shithouses

Are the Ducie Arms and the Old Abbey (in the science park) still going?
Used to go to the Ducie and leave the car there. Final pint after the game and then the traffic had gone.
They spent a while doing it up and it was closed so we decamped across the road to the Old Abbey until the Ducie reopened.
I was talking about the old Abbey and the Ducie just last night. Great memories of the old abbey in particular.i loved the place ,as tumbledown as it was.a proper boozer where i met blue mates im still in touch with today from the late 80s.
Loved the place.Great jukebox and long long opening hours.
Off the beaten track,rough and ready.felt like a 2nd home and you never wanted to leave.

When I started going first, you could get a drink before the match but the licensing laws meant that it had to close at 3:00pm and couldn’t reopen until 5:30.

Rather than hang around, the usual plan would be to walk into town, by which time the pubs would be open, and get a drink at the City Arms.

The City Arms is still there except that the outside colour has been changed from pale blue to green.

Are the Ducie Arms and the Old Abbey (in the science park) still going?
Used to go to the Ducie and leave the car there. Final pint after the game and then the traffic had gone.
They spent a while doing it up and it was closed so we decamped across the road to the Old Abbey until the Ducie reopened.
The Guinness in the Ducie... it's been gentrified for years now, but what a pub it was.

Anyone use the Robin Hood on Maine Rd itself ? Only went in once we were tho only white faces in the place, very quiet to say it was two o clock on a Saturday we were playing Stoke. Older regulars really friendly young lads at pool table made it plain we weren't welcome. Had quick two pints and left.
My uncle was born / brought up a stones throw from Maine Road and then in Wythenshawe. One game in the late 80's we were walking back to his car and he suggested a quick pint in the Robin Hood... I suggested not but he said it was a boozer of choice in his late teens. I reminded him he was in his 50's and times had changed..... He was adamant.... So in we go, don't think the place had any lights on... Pitch black and the waft of dope hitting us as the door opened. My uncle turned and said "I think are right" and we turned and closed the door.

Surprised no one has mentioned The Denmark yet.

My uncle was born / brought up a stones throw from Maine Road and then in Wythenshawe. One game in the late 80's we were walking back to his car and he suggested a quick pint in the Robin Hood... I suggested not but he said it was a boozer of choice in his late teens. I reminded him he was in his 50's and times had changed..... He was adamant.... So in we go, don't think the place had any lights on... Pitch black and the waft of dope hitting us as the door opened. My uncle turned and said "I think are right" and we turned and closed the door.

Surprised no one has mentioned The Denmark yet.
the Denmark... well known back in the day as a place where you could buy a ninebar at the bar!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.