Another shooting in america

shadygiz said:
they need a judicial review on the term "the right to bear arms"

the original constitution was written in a day when everyone had to carry weapons

Exactly this.

It is astonishing that a clause in a document that was drafted before the steam locomotive was invented is allowed to stand by some as irrefutable proof in this debate. It is almost too comical for words. As is the fact that the gun lobby stand so steadfastly against amending something that itself is an amendment to the original document. Like it is some immutable law of the universe.

Echo what Gaylord said earlier in this thread. The terror those poor children must have felt is truly heartbreaking.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
shadygiz said:
they need a judicial review on the term "the right to bear arms"

the original constitution was written in a day when everyone had to carry weapons

Exactly this.

It is astonishing that a clause in a document that was drafted before the steam locomotive was invented is allowed to stand by some as irrefutable proof in this debate. It is almost too comical for words. As is the fact that the gun lobby stand so steadfastly against amending something that itself is an amendment to the original document. Like it is some immutable law of the universe.

Echo what Gaylord said earlier in this thread. The terror those poor children must have felt is truly heartbreaking.
Bollocks, for the reasons I stated above. The founders were right. The constitution is right. It's just not being followed.

SWP's back said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
TCIB said:
I have not really read this thread but it was an assault rifle right, as in a tactical military weapon ?
The reports say a .223 calibre rifle which is a gun you could legally own on the uk. I was reading how they had a law called the assault weapons act that run from 1994 to 2004 and covered 19 specific weapons and a range with things fitted or various other implements. It went out in 2004 and apparently gun crime has not changed in that time
He used three guns, none of which are legal in the uk.
Okay the one they keep puttin on te scroll was a .22 rifle which I am pretty sure is a weapon you can legally own in the uk. Obviously different variations as .223 is just a calibre. Would seem he only used the 2 handguns though

buckshot said:
We went out for a few beers tonight and were talking about this and some guy said that it's wrong to discuss gun control so soon after a tragedy. This is something the right has been saying for years and people just accept it as proper. I think it's a fucking stupid thing to believe as we have these tragedies all the time and gun control would fucking stop them. (/rant)

This all day long. Here's the intro of the link I posted earlier:

When we first collected much of this data, it was after the Aurora, Colo. shootings, and the air was thick with calls to avoid “politicizing” the tragedy. That is code, essentially, for “don’t talk about reforming our gun control laws.”

Let’s be clear: That is a form of politicization. When political actors construct a political argument that threatens political consequences if other political actors pursue a certain political outcome, that is, almost by definition, a politicization of the issue. It’s just a form of politicization favoring those who prefer the status quo to stricter gun control laws.

Since then, there have been more horrible, high-profile shootings. Jovan Belcher, a linebacker for the Kansas City Chiefs, took his girlfriend’s life and then his own. In Oregon, Jacob Tyler Roberts entered a mall holding a semi-automatic rifle and yelling “I am the shooter.” And, in Connecticut, at least 27 are dead — including 18 children — after a man opened fire at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

If roads were collapsing all across the United States, killing dozens of drivers, we would surely see that as a moment to talk about what we could do to keep roads from collapsing. If terrorists were detonating bombs in port after port, you can be sure Congress would be working to upgrade the nation’s security measures. If a plague was ripping through communities, public-health officials would be working feverishly to contain it.

Only with gun violence do we respond to repeated tragedies by saying that mourning is acceptable but discussing how to prevent more tragedies is not. “Too soon,” howl supporters of loose gun laws. But as others have observed, talking about how to stop mass shootings in the aftermath of a string of mass shootings isn’t “too soon.” It’s much too late.

mcmanus said:
Fear is a strange thing.
It certainly is. After last summer's gun massacre over here, the Norwegian police are now begging to carry arms. Instant, fearful reaction. If they'd only trained better, had proper plans in place, and not panicked... Norway at the moment is a bit like Canada - loads of guns owned for hunting purposes, plus the occasional killing. Add an element of fear, however, plus armed police with no idea, and it may veer towards being a mini-USA.

As for being indifferent to yet another killing spree in America? Yes, I'm afraid I saw the headline and chose instead to check up on some other stuff before my curiosity got the better of me.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
SWP's back said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
The reports say a .223 calibre rifle which is a gun you could legally own on the uk. I was reading how they had a law called the assault weapons act that run from 1994 to 2004 and covered 19 specific weapons and a range with things fitted or various other implements. It went out in 2004 and apparently gun crime has not changed in that time
Okay the one they keep puttin on te scroll was a .22 rifle which I am pretty sure is a weapon you can legally own in the uk. Obviously different variations as .223 is just a calibre. Would seem he only used the 2 handguns though

The .223 was a semi automatic centrefile. Not legal in the UK. Not would a .22 centrefile.

Even with a firearms license in the UK, you can only have a semi automatic rimfire.

acquiesce said:
Just out of curiosity, roughly what are the gun laws in England at this time?
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.gunrunner.cc/firearms_laws.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.gunrunner.cc/firearms_laws.htm</a>

SWP's back said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
SWP's back said:

The .223 was a semi automatic centrefile. Not legal in the UK. Not would a .22 centrefile.

Even with a firearms license in the UK, you can only have a semi automatic rimfire.
Ah right yeah going off calibre alone is never going to work. New York has amazing state gun laws so why can they be put around USA as they obviously don't break the constitution

SWP's back said:
acquiesce said:
Just out of curiosity, roughly what are the gun laws in England at this time?
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.gunrunner.cc/firearms_laws.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.gunrunner.cc/firearms_laws.htm</a>

Cheers for that

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.