Another shooting in america

I remember someone telling me about a book on gun culture in southern states (realise that Connecticut is anything but) which was quite interesting.

It said that rural communities that owned livestock (as oppose to grew crops) were much more likely to own and use guns. This was because historically there was an enduring threat of their animals being stolen which needed to be met with force. In the UK communities such as those on the Celtic fringes and the West Country tended to fall into this category.

When the southern states were colonised it was primarily by Irish, Scots and Welsh (the English tended to emigrate to the North) and they continued where they left off and raised livestock. The threat of rustling, if anything, was even greater and being armed became an essential working tool.

Doesn't really add anything to the debate, but rural America's roots to gun culture go very deep and would, sadly, prove impossible to sever imo.

Blue Hefner said:
The cookie monster said:
Blue Hefner said:
The author of 'More Guns = Less Crime' was just on Sky News. He is adamant that everyone should be able to have a gun to 'protect' themselves from these type of attacks as the majority of these attacks, according to him, happen in gun-free zones.

Personally I think this sort of think is dangerous. The fact of the matter is if guns weren't so readily available these shootings would probably not have happened
I was just listening to him
Didnt he say arm the teachers is the best way?

Yeah, he citied one example of a headmaster having to run home and get his gun when someone came to shoot-up a school. Its frightening to hear someone talk like that

I love my wife dearly and she is extremely intelligent (she graduated college with a 4.0 GPA) but she is also scatterbrained. She is a teacher and would almost immediately lose a gun if she had to carry one. And if she ever had to use it would undoubtedly panic and cause more carnage.

I watched the Channel 4 Dispatches Documentary tonight titled The American School Massacre.Its not up on the player at the moment.Heres the link if you want to watch it eventually.http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/episode-guide/series-111/episode-7
My initial interest in this Documentary was provoked by the fact that there has been conflicting information via eye witness accounts and media reports.For instance I have been led to believe by mainstream media that Adam Lanzer killed his mother, who was apparently a teacher at the School.Dispatches didn't confirm this fact but informed us she was a wealthy housewife.I had a look around on the Internet and found this youtube video to be comparable to the dispatches documentary,and frankly more believable,and only lasting 15 minutes. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j_fI0hm1dqY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... _fI0hm1dqY</a>
This written piece by Sheila Reagan projects my sentiments a lot better than I can on a keyboard. .<a class="postlink" href="http://www.tcdailyplanet.net/news/2012/12/16/tragedy-age-social-media" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.tcdailyplanet.net/news/2012/ ... cial-media</a>

TFC said:
Big-P said:
slightly off-topic but its sickening so thought id share, the Westboro Baptist Church are targeting the funerals of the victims apparently.

Why? What the fuck is wrong with those people?

Their online presence was subject to Anonymous attack today and a pastebin of their members' personal details is apparently doing the rounds of some the internet's nastier places.

johnny on the spot said:
TFC said:
Big-P said:
slightly off-topic but its sickening so thought id share, the Westboro Baptist Church are targeting the funerals of the victims apparently.

Their online presence was subject to Anonymous attack today and a pastebin of their members' personal details is apparently doing the rounds of some the internet's nastier places.

Didn't they (WBC) claim the shooting's were all the fault of 'gay people and abortions'

Blue Tooth said:
johnny on the spot said:
TFC said:

Didn't they (WBC) claim the shooting's were all the fault of 'gay people and abortions'

Apparently they want to protest "to sing praise to God for the glory of his work in executing his judgment." What the fuck is wrong with these people?

Blue Tooth said:
johnny on the spot said:
TFC said:

...and Obama allowing gay marriage.

Not to worry, they're not having the best time of it at the moment. The usual Anonymous 'We Are Legion' fluff is a bit over the top, but they're gunning for Westboro.

johnny on the spot said:
Blue Tooth said:
johnny on the spot said:

...and Obama allowing gay marriage.

Not to worry, they're not having the best time of it at the moment. The usual Anonymous 'We Are Legion' fluff is a bit over the top, but they're gunning for Westboro.

Yeah...account has been hacked by Cosmo

I had the Boston areas version of Talk Sport on today and they were talking about this and lots of people ringing up and saying ''arm the teachers'', ''have a cop at each school''.
So the next nutter just goes to the local Mall, cinema (like last time) or wherever else crowds gather.....

What is shocking to me is I've now lived here for 16 months and I am eligible to buy a gun (not that I want one) as I have residency in the States - but I can't open a bank account as I do not have Massachusetts state issued ID yet. My UK passport or US government issued Green Card are NOT deemed as being sufficient ID!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.