Another transitional season? No.

I think our season depends mostly on the form of our CBs: how quickly will Laporte regain form and how quickly will Dias settle in?

If Laporte and Dias form a good partnership relatively quckly, we will stand a chance to compete for the PL. If they don't, the season may be a long one. I'm optimistic but it's possible that the transition to another strong City team may take longer than 1-2 seasons. There are reasons to be optimistic since we had some top performances last season without the legends: particularly against Real and Liverpool at home. Ferna played against Real but he wasn't the reason why we did well. Both Silva and Kun didn't play. So, we can do it, we just need a bit more time for the the signings to bed in and the youngsters to gain some experience.

Pep urgently has to change our tactics and game management for this season.

The lads are finished right now, all those injuries, quarantines. No strikers up front. It's such a big blow and no wonder confidence is going down.

We just can't dominate teams like we did. We have to sit deeper, score first and manage the win home.

We have to be more boring and defensive and smart and a bit dirty
in order to win matches every 3 days
without wasting too much energy.

That's what Pep and our players can learn during this season and it will help us to win more big matches in the future.

The trouble with Pep is that he knows only one way of playing football. That means even if the players that are fit for the game even if they can't play that way quickly enough for Pep they will still get a game. Pep will not be willing to alter his tactics at all.

I think our season depends mostly on the form of our CBs: how quickly will Laporte regain form and how quickly will Dias settle in?

If Laporte and Dias form a good partnership relatively quckly, we will stand a chance to compete for the PL. If they don't, the season may be a long one. I'm optimistic but it's possible that the transition to another strong City team may take longer than 1-2 seasons. There are reasons to be optimistic since we had some top performances last season without the legends: particularly against Real and Liverpool at home. Ferna played against Real but he wasn't the reason why we did well. Both Silva and Kun didn't play. So, we can do it, we just need a bit more time for the the signings to bed in and the youngsters to gain some experience.
I hope you are right. Dias has been praised for his leadership qualities. I agree that his partnership with Laporte will make or break the season. But the dire situation at Left Back is destroying confidence in our backline and needs addressing urgently, perhaps Ake can slot in there unless Cancelo can deliver.
It's amazing how the decline of Fernandihno has undermined our whole playing system. We just can't find a replacement for what he did for us. I still think we should try Bernardo in that DM role. He is great at winning the ball and has the energy to get forward at speed.

The lads are finished right now, all those injuries, quarantines. No strikers up front. It's such a big blow and no wonder confidence is going down.

We just can't dominate teams like we did. We have to sit deeper, score first and manage the win home.

That's what Pep and our players can learn during this season and it will help us to win more big matches in the future.
We start with clean sheets and work from there.

The lads are finished?
I really can't believe what I read on here sometimes.

Could you explain how, after only two games in of a 38 game season, you come to the conclusion the lads are finished or have I read it arse upwards?

The lads are finished?
I really can't believe what I read on here sometimes.

Could you explain how, after only two games in of a 38 game season, you come to the conclusion the lads are finished or have I read it arse upwards?
Even if the wording might be poor, you know what I mean.
No real summer break, no pre season.
Mentally not fresh, surprise surprise several injuries.
Have you seen the match yesterday? Energy levels are not the best. AND: fixture congestion will go on.
Wonder what we have to discuss really.

Even if the wording might be poor, you know what I mean.
No real summer break, no pre season.
Mentally not fresh, surprise surprise several injuries.
Have you seen the match yesterday? Energy levels are not the best. AND: fixture congestion will go on.
Wonder what we have to discuss really.
So you're still saying we're finished after 2 games into the league?
3 mistakes, 3 penalties, might have been a draw another day, might have been a 3-2 either way, scoreline really flattered them.
But finished?
Fuck me.

If we cant keep up heavy pressing for more than 20-30 minutes per match we should not use high defensive line for more than 20-30 minutes either, simple as that.

Even Liverpool cannot press for 90 minutes but they shield that back line often with a trio of Keita, Wijnaldum, Fabinho which trio does not have 10% of KDB's creativity in them but have the workrate, engine to help stopping counters, to offer good positioning, track back, stop attacks, offer help in wide areas when Robertson and TAA are roaming forward leaving space behind themselves.

What we have when we lose ball? concede clear chances within 5 seconds regularly?

Tactical transition is needed big time and lot of balance too...
Playing two defensive mids means we can’t press up high as well because there aren’t as many numbers to do it.

A high line defence is only as good as the ball retention and defending further up the field from the rest of the team and yesterday, in the second half at Wolves and a great deal of last season our ball retention and defending from high up the pitch was inadequate.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you're still saying we're finished after 2 games into the league?
3 mistakes, 3 penalties, might have been a draw another day, might have been a 3-2 either way, scoreline really flattered them.
But finished?
Fuck me.
I think this team is finished (for want of a better word), similar to how Pellegrini’s team had run its course by the end of his tenure with Yaya Nasri Zaba Sanga Clichy Kolarov Džeko all leaving or playing into a decline in their quality (although we waited another season before changing that team). We’re seeing the same now with Kompany DSilva Sané Otamendi and soon Kun and Fernandinho having left or on their way out.

I think we need a refresh of the squad with some eyebrow raising transfers out and some really big mouthwatering signings in.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.