Anti depressants..

Totally agree with this, as someone who spent 18 months on different doses of Citalopram.

Time management and exercise are key, just fitting in that half an hour of basic exercise a day can change a lot of your mentality. Whether it's a walk, a run, a swim, a body circuit, a punchbag.

The day you admit your shortcomings and be totally honest with yourself in the mirror, is the day you start to get better and understand your condition. It's a long road of ups and downs.

Some people are going through some catastrophic things in life and long processes and periods of life that they want to get out of, whether it's a bereavement, a break up, or a job they hate but can't leave yet. Be honest with yourself, and work on yourself and it will fall into place around it.

Tough times don't last, tough people do. And that's why you are still here. My inbox is always open for anybody suffering with mental illness. The only way we can combat this is to talk about it and understand our own psyche, you can change the way you feel starting today.

It’s nice to see someone who’s been through this have such a refreshing view. I had a couple of weeks a few years back when I thought I might have actual depression. I was going through a bad time in my life (had three big events hit me at the same time). And because there’s so much in the media telling us all that depresssion is something we can all just “catch” out of thin air I went to the doctors. I told him my symptoms- low energy, over eating for no reason, struggling for motivation, loss of feelings etc and BANG- straight on the tablets.

He didn’t ask anything about WHY I might be feeling that way. In my case I’d been made redundant and paid off so I had no job but no motivation to earn money and I drank too much cos I could, I had nothing to get up for and the eating was sheer boredom - depression or just a shit time of my life? I decided I needed a change of mindset and routine. I binned the tablets, took up running, found myself a job, looked after myself better and within 1 month I felt great about myself and the world again and have ever since.

Too many people are told that you can “catch” depression out of nowhere and fed tablets like smarties. I understand the need for open discussions about mental health but kids are growing up now thinking it’s the norm and some pill can fix everything...

Last edited:
It’s nice to see someone who’s been through this have such a refreshing view. I had a couple of weeks a few years back when I thought I might have actual depression. I was going through a bad time in my life (had three big events hit me at the same time). And because there’s so much in the media telling us all that depresssion is something we can all just “catch” out of thin air I went to the doctors. I told him my symptoms- low energy, over eating for no reason, struggling for motivation, loss of feelings etc and BANG- straight on the tablets.

He didn’t ask anything about WHY I might be feeling that way. In my case I’d been made redundant and paid off so I had no job but no motivation to earn money and I drank too much cos I could, I had nothing to get up for and the eating was sheer boredom - depression or just a shit time of my life? I decided I needed a change of mindset and routine. I binned the tablets, took up running, found myself a job, looked after myself better and within 1 month I felt great about myself and the world again and have ever since.

Too many people are told that you can “catch” depression out of nowhere and fed tablets like smarties. I understand the need for open discussions about mental health but kids are growing up now thinking it’s the norm and some pill can fix everything...

Totally agree with what you say. I had a hard time coming off my tablets. I increased dosage from the GP cos I was being more erratic and stressful, in a job that I hated at the time. Looking back, there was no need for me to increase the dosage.

People go through the process at different paces, but I'd been on the pills 18 months and decided I do not want to be on these anymore. I weened off them slowly and I was dizzy as fuck most days for about 4 weeks, til I was eventually off them. It does get easier people so hang in there and don't cave, when you're at this stage.

Shit comes in threes in life it really does. You have to take some accountability of your own life and actions if you ever want to get better. Simple changes like having the courage to speak openly about your struggles, or having the discipline to eat the right foods and do that 30 mins of exercise a day, will make a massive difference. Getting 'better' is all about consistency. Stay consistent in your actions and you'll go from having good days to good weeks, and then good months.

A positive mindset even in adversity will get you through it, even if there's some black humour in it. One of the best pieces of advice I heard was 'a stressful man who loses his temper easily is the sign of a weak man'. If you're that guy who's coming home and being horrible to his Mrs and family cos he's stressed, you need to change that ASAP cos it's a form of weakness, and you don't want to be a weak man and shove your close ones away and be the twat that nobody wants to be around. I only say this from first hand experience of doing it, keep your emotions in check. Talk openly but don't be aggressive over nothing, cos it just makes you more poorly and stressed.

Totally agree with what you say. I had a hard time coming off my tablets. I increased dosage from the GP cos I was being more erratic and stressful, in a job that I hated at the time. Looking back, there was no need for me to increase the dosage.

People go through the process at different paces, but I'd been on the pills 18 months and decided I do not want to be on these anymore. I weened off them slowly and I was dizzy as fuck most days for about 4 weeks, til I was eventually off them. It does get easier people so hang in there and don't cave, when you're at this stage.

Shit comes in threes in life it really does. You have to take some accountability of your own life and actions if you ever want to get better. Simple changes like having the courage to speak openly about your struggles, or having the discipline to eat the right foods and do that 30 mins of exercise a day, will make a massive difference. Getting 'better' is all about consistency. Stay consistent in your actions and you'll go from having good days to good weeks, and then good months.

A positive mindset even in adversity will get you through it, even if there's some black humour in it. One of the best pieces of advice I heard was 'a stressful man who loses his temper easily is the sign of a weak man'. If you're that guy who's coming home and being horrible to his Mrs and family cos he's stressed, you need to change that ASAP cos it's a form of weakness, and you don't want to be a weak man and shove your close ones away and be the twat that nobody wants to be around. I only say this from first hand experience of doing it, keep your emotions in check. Talk openly but don't be aggressive over nothing, cos it just makes you more poorly and stressed.

So true mate. Glad you're on the right track now :)

Totally agree with this, as someone who spent 18 months on different doses of Citalopram.

Time management and exercise are key, just fitting in that half an hour of basic exercise a day can change a lot of your mentality. Whether it's a walk, a run, a swim, a body circuit, a punchbag.

The day you admit your shortcomings and be totally honest with yourself in the mirror, is the day you start to get better and understand your condition. It's a long road of ups and downs.

Some people are going through some catastrophic things in life and long processes and periods of life that they want to get out of, whether it's a bereavement, a break up, or a job they hate but can't leave yet. Be honest with yourself, and work on yourself and it will fall into place around it.

Tough times don't last, tough people do. And that's why you are still here. My inbox is always open for anybody suffering with mental illness. The only way we can combat this is to talk about it and understand our own psyche, you can change the way you feel starting today.

hi, i switched from 200 mg sertraline to 20 mg of citalopram as its stronger since january 2018. Earlier this year i dropped down to 10 mg of citalopram but when wanting to move off it all together i jsut couldnt. and had a few set backs.

any advice to get off it all together? Im hitting the gym all the time.

I'll leave it to people more qualified or who work in the realm, but sometimes a bunch of meds might help shift some blockage in the ol synapses (we're essentially a bunch of chemicals anyway)...but it appears the sport jocks/gym obsessives were right all along...a good bout of regular exercise is absolutely essential (whatever it is).
18 months ago I was at my lowest ebb after a series of events (had a thread on here). Bumped up the running, ate far more healthily and recently joined the gym...that's been my absolute salvation. Fitter, stronger and more confident than I've been in my life. Got my metabolic rate down to 15 years younger than my actual age.
Confidence is a big thing in all this...I grew up socially shy/anxious (I couldn't run a few years ago because I felt I was being looked at by passing cars people...I've shed all that and happily run through towns/villages in a jock strap. Think it takes something major to happen in your life to wake you up and you realise you were a massive over thinker and people pleaser. Empowering thinking the opposite. Life can then begin properly. I'm single now and happier than ever.
I envy those how grew up confident but I'm guessing many were just overthinking things far less...potentially nervous but breaking through it anyway.
Definitely talk to as many people as you can (first step when at your lowest)...heck get a dog - a gateway to the 'Chat-tanooga' (AP).

In all seriousness, reducing the use of so called 'social' elements of the internet (Facebook, Twitter, forums, etc) would almost certainly be a positive for the majority of individuals, particularly those suffering with mental health issues. It's a corrosive place and whilst there are benefits to such places, without people taking time to regulate their own use of them, they can quite easily breed dependency, a lack of perspective, time wasting and a lack of direction (he says whilst posting on an internet forum)

That's not particularly relevant to the topic at hand but I've written it now.
Spot on!

hi, i switched from 200 mg sertraline to 20 mg of citalopram as its stronger since january 2018. Earlier this year i dropped down to 10 mg of citalopram but when wanting to move off it all together i jsut couldnt. and had a few set backs.

any advice to get off it all together? Im hitting the gym all the time.

I started on 20mg per day of Citalopram, upped to 30mg after a while then dropped to 10mg. I'd recommend staying on 10mg for the time being if I was you mate, as it seems to be working for you. From what you've said it sounds like you're not far enough into your recovery to come off them fully, there's no shame or embarrassment in that. Just try and get some consistency in your time management and lead a slightly more active life, maybe reduce social media too. Once you get the ball well and truly rolling with this positive lifestyle, then try and come off them.

Please don't try and come off 10mg fully, you'll need to go down to taking half a tablet a day instead. Then half a tablet every 2 days after say 2 weeks etc. Bring it down in increments like that and it'll be so much easier. You'll be dizzy as fuck on and off for about 4 weeks but it will pass. I'm no Dr but I think that about explains how I handled coming off the same drug, I did balloon 2 stone on though very quickly unfortunately. Started a keto diet 3 weeks ago and dropped just over a stone of that already. Just take your time with it, get all the things in your life mapped out and into a routine and help yourself grow as a person, be brutally honest with yourself but not too self-critical. All the best with it.

" With a positive attitude, the world is your oyster. Without it, your world will be filled with ill fate and unfortunate circumstances "

Good to see so many blues offering an ear or giving advice. I'm one of lifes lucky guys, i don't so depression,i feel i have too much going for me. For those not so lucky i feel for you and as others have said my inbox is yours whenever.
Depression has nothing to do with what you’ve got going for you. It’s a chemical imbalance in the brain’s function. Absolutely anybody from any walk of life with any kind of background or life situation can develop depression.

Depression does not discriminate between the rich or poor, those with a great family and friends or those surrounded by twats, those with a huge circle of people around them or the lonely who have nobody, those in work or out of work, music or sport lovers or boring sods who seem to be into nowt... literally any person can get depression.

There can be people who’ve been through some terrible tragedies who’ve always struggled with money and relationships and family who don’t get depressed; yet someone who earns £150k/year with a happy and beautiful family who’ve never known a hard day, can get it.

One thing that is starting to be proven is that people who eat well (and I’m talking about those that get all the right nutrients vitamins and minerals in their diets) throughout life get depression as lot less than those that don’t.

For anyone suffering from it - sack the meds the NHS give you right off for a kick off as they aren’t making you better, they’re just making you feel better, and eat less beige food, eat the rainbow every day (veg and fruit of as many different colours as possible), throw in some CBD oil (and maybe some LSD, honestly!), and get some regular exercise and you’ll be better off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depression has nothing to do with what you’ve got going for you. It’s a chemical imbalance in the brain’s function. Absolutely anybody from any walk of life with any kind of background or life situation can develop depression.

Depression does not discriminate between the rich or poor, those with a great family and friends or those surrounded by twats, those with a huge circle of people around them or the lonely who have nobody, those in work or out of work, music or sport lovers or boring sods who seem to be into nowt... literally any person get get depression.
Very true PS, well said pal... And it's the ones who think they are immune from depression who are the most vulnerable IMO. It creeps up from behind and can put the biggest and toughest guys smack bang on their arse. And it so often does. I implore anyone who feels depression coming on to not bottle up for you will most probably explode to become a quivering wreck fellow blues. Confide in someone you can trust to open up to. Better still go and see your doctor. Medication is not always necessary, you may just need to speak to a counsellor to help you back on straight and narrow of sanity. I speak from experience having been there.

I used to be a werewolf, but I'm alright nowwww; )

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.