Any chance of Mark Hughes coming back?

tolmie's hairdoo said:
de niro said:
yep, about right.

Not so.

I hated Hughes and was proved right.

I don't hate Mancini, he was a convenient upgrade, but ultimately wrong man.

Tolmie why the change of heart? I remember you saying that there is not one man in the world you would give this job to at the moment than Mancini and that if we were to have a further couple of barren years that meant we would have decades of success you would take it every time.

Five pages worth of discussing a former Rag (yes, I'm stubborn and never forget such things), so mediocre and over-reliant on his media buddies for praise? Yes, lets bring him back. So that even more money would be wasted on the likes of Bridge and other luminaries.

FFS, Mancini may not be everyone's bowl of soup, but he won pots at EVERY club he has managed in his still short managerial career. Give the guy time, he'll get us there. He has class and the ability. Hughes should not even appear anywhere near City.

gio's side step said:
This is my take on Hughes. I don't think this is a simple 'he did a great job/did an awful job' debate.

Of course, there was a reaction to the way he was sacked and Mancini appointed. In terms of his record, he took over in extremely unique circumstances (take over pending etc). His CV wasn't wholly decorated and he played for Utd. Those two factors made some critical of him from day one. I never gave a fuck about who he played for. Nor did I expect after the Sven ending, to appoint someone who had won league titles and competed at the top end of the CL. So it was a progress appointment. Could he help us progress further. Yes with significant investment, but taking into account all those things, especially employed by the forza-mancini brigade (needing time to build a team not just talented individuals etc). The Robinho signing was not his (he had to adapt significantly as a result) and thus I judge him overall on (a) whether he moved us forward as a football club and (b) his signings (and of course other tactical things etc).
The second season is always a better judgement - and I was pleased with the signings of Tevez, Adebayor, Toure etc, as I felt, considering we were still no where near CL football, we were signing players who should (and we should all have agreed) progressed us as a football club. The RSC one was a critical mistake. But Mancini has signed some rickets without a doubtOverall, signings like Bellamy, Tevez, Given, Zab, Kompany, De Jong, were all signings (doesn't matter whether they all played their best football under Hughes again taking into account the time it takes to settle in a new league in some cases and at a new club) with progression in mind. There were critical set backs during the second season, and some lost patience of course. Do I believe we would have finished top 4 that season. No. Top 6? Yes. Do I believe he would have then, with another season finished top 4 - million dollar question and there is a fair argument to be made for and against that.

What I do know is this - Mancini has not progressed us significantly enough in terms of further spending, and considering he had a better CV and more support. Team cohesion doesn't look any better, man management doesnt look any better, and the only reason he has been backed by the brigade for this long is because (a) he didnt play for Utd (b) he is cooler (c) with more pressure and expectation has come more paranoia and obsession with utd and the media (d) and as a result - a more seize mentality and defensiveness (stubborness) against critically engaging with what is really going on.

Hughes wasn't a real success at City - but equally he wasn't a failure. I would overall, take his signings as being more critical to our progression to date, than Mancini's for sure.

what a superb post, take a bow son

Mid table team for a mid table manager . He had his chance , couldn't hack it and got the sack . The manner of it wasn't right but it was the right decision.

I hope so honest........

Just make sure he has a cheque book..to take RSC off our hands at half the price HE paid for him...AGENT HUGHES once a red .....always a red...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.