Anyone eaten in a 3 star michelin restaurant

Been to Le enclume couple of times the second time stayed in their hotel and also had the breakfast
Great experience and yeah the food is really really good
Not a big taster fan but it’s definitely worth a try

The breakfast bacon was like thick squares and the nicest I’ve had

Been to Le enclume couple of times the second time stayed in their hotel and also had the breakfast
Great experience and yeah the food is really really good
Not a big taster fan but it’s definitely worth a try

The breakfast bacon was like thick squares and the nicest I’ve had

L’enclume is lovely. Perfect end to a Lake District holiday. I went back when it had 2 stars and thought it was headed for 3 because it was a step above the other 2s I’d been to.

Lasarte in Barcelona, though it only got its 3rd star after I’d been so not sure if that counts. :-)

No interest in fine dining at all. Find the whole idea of poor folk sweating their guts out for the soul purpose of feeding those with more money goes against the way I like to live.

I’ve been lucky enough to go to a few Michelin star restaurants.

Champignon Sauvage, Cheltenham *
Lumiere, Cheltenham *
Clove Club, London *
Salt, Stratford upon Avon *
No 6, Padstow *
Purnels, Birmingham *
Murano, London *
Gymkhana, London *

Restaurant 4 Saisons, Oxford **
L’enclume, Lake District **
Hand and Flowers, Marlow **
Midsummer House Cambridge **

Fat Duck ***
Restaurant Gordon Ramsey ***

IMO it’s easily worth the money - at least mine have been. You can easily spend 3-4 times as much as a normal restaurant but they’re experiences I’ll remember forever. It’s not just a meal, in the way going to a film premiere at Leicester Square is not putting a film on Netflix.

I would also say they can be some of the best value meals I’ve ever had. Mothers day a few years back I took mum to the Hand and Flowers and we ended up getting the lunch special.

The best meal of my life up to that point was about £45pp in a 2 star restaurant where a starter is roughly £25, main £50, desert £30. It’s such a bargain that I felt like I was being paid to eat it.

The only negative experience I had was Gordon Ramsay. It was amazing food but it was a client dinner (only one in the list that was) and I really did not like the client and it was slow.

If the price is an issue I would really look into set lunch menus, especially if it’s out in the countryside as they get less footfall, and also listen out for buzz around a place and simply go before they get a star. The food is the same, the prices aren’t.

Destination ones are always my favourite, because people are going there to eat. Youll meet other people who’ve travelled across the country or world to come and are really excited, and they really care about the food. If you go to London you’ll be surrounded by very rich people who just have a booking to show off.

My one regret is I never got to Le Gavroche. What a restaurant and the roll call of chefs who trained there is insane. My sister says she still wakes up occasionally thinking about the treacle tart they served for desert.

Last edited:
Not yet, but quite a few one stars, all in hotels. The nicest was at the Chateau de Berne in Provence, and because it’s a vineyard hotel the sommelier and wine choice was superb. Had an Asian one in Shangri-La hotel Paris, but as I’m not that into Chinese food it was rather wasted on me. The worst was in Madeira; too much seafood. But it was all presented well, just not to my taste.

Got to be honest it’s my wife who loves all that kind of food, I’d rather have a chicken madras or a good Sunday roast!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.