Anyone ever taken someone to the small claims court

She has to prove her claim as do you.
What proof does she have?
Apart from an inventory, which could be anything, nothing really other than pointing a finger. Guests, cleaner and a cockup by the owner could all be to blame for a shortage, if indeed there is one. I'm of the thinking she's trying to leverage the payment somehow. Also both properties are on the market. This one went against all my better judgement, I ignored all the red flags....hey ho.

Apart from an inventory, which could be anything, nothing really other than pointing a finger. Guests, cleaner and a cockup by the owner could all be to blame for a shortage, if indeed there is one. I'm of the thinking she's trying to leverage the payment somehow. Also both properties are on the market. This one went against all my better judgement, I ignored all the red flags....hey ho.
It's worth spending, £75 I think, to take them to small claims court. It's all done online, you don't need a solicitor and there is a good chance she'll shit herself and pay up. Even if she doesn't, she still owes you the £600 and if worse comes to the worst, you might have to pay her £150 which still leaves you £450 up.
If she loses she has to pay you the £75 fee that you paid as well.

You’re now ‘encouraged’ to go through mediation before Court.
You both have to agree to it and if one party objects then off to the County Court you go.
The judges first question will be why did the party reject mediation.
Wasting court time and public resources etc etc
Oh, and for good measure my better half is a mediator and she’s a Blue.
Only if they dispute the claim, and have evidence.....if they have no evidence and you do, they will pay up, got my £1070 in under 2 months.
If they know they are in the wrong, they know they will lose and pay.....mine was over paying a rent deposit, I had evidence that I paid it all, they had no evidence of it not all being paid back to them "I had to pay xyz out of it" ....I had left 6 months earlier, they couldn't produce any receipts, paid it in full plus the £70.

Last edited:
Only if they dispute the claim, and have evidence.....if they have no evidence and you do, they will pay up, got my £1070 in under 2 months.
If they know they are in the wrong, they know they will lose and pay.....mine was over paying a rent deposit, I had evidence that I paid it all, they had no evidence of it not all being paid back to them "I had to pay xyz out of it" ....I had left 6 months earlier, they couldn't produce any receipts, paid it in full plus the £70.
Strange that this was your case.
The vast majority are these shister parking companies closely followed by rent deposits!

Strange that this was your case.
The vast majority are these shister parking companies closely followed by rent deposits!
I found you can't use it for 'deposits' against landlords.....only individuals, who have received it back (as the 'nominated' tenant). I was biding my time, and as the person who paid it, the deposit protection emailed me to say it had been returned, and to who.

A fair question that mate. If she is I'd give her 2 options. First is to pay up, second is to agree to book into a hotel for the night to have her backdoor smashed in; )
Is she fit?
A third option if she isn't fit would be for her to pay up, also pay for a hotel for the night to have her back doors smashed in and to then get dressed and fuck off without turning the lights on.

A client of ours, has been for only 2 months owes me just short of £600. At the time of invoicing, early this month she decided to throw a spanner in the works and claim that I have lost or misapropriated about £150 worth of her bedding, we are a commercial laundry. My question is....if I decide to take this to the small claims will my claim be treated purely on my invoiced amount or is likely to get complicated if she raises the other issue and involves it in my claim. In otherwords would they be treated as 2 individual claims. This is basically a matter of principle as I feel she's using her accusation as leverage to get out of paying.
Take em to a small claim court, take em to a small claim court.. I'd of took em to the fackin cleaners!! Oh, hang on a minute. :-/

I participated way back in the day in a work capacity. A graduate trainee handed in his notice but we discovered he owed some rent on a company provided house. We therefore withheld the same amount in overtime pay that he was due.

He took us to small claims. We argued successfully to set one debt off against the other and the court called it quits.

There’s a difference with your case, though, in that the employee’s rent arrears weren’t contested. If you contest this woman’s allegation, my guess is the court might treat it as a separate case.

I am only guessing though.

Last edited:
As a non-judge, I'd say the evidence is the communication timeline. The way you tell it, she only informed you of an issue after you started to push for payment. If she informed you promptly, well before any payment was due, and has evidence of it, then she might have a case. Otherwise, she'll just come across as a chancer who was looking for an excuse to not pay.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.