Apparently we copied our red and black kit from AC Milan!

Didsbury Dave said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
I have just found out on wikipedia that we used to play at Maine Road.
Bet you so-called blues didn't know that.
It was in a place called Rush Home.

Correct. The name "Rusholme" was coined by irate city fans fed up of the fact that fans were leaving matches at Maine Road five minutes before the end.

Later changed to"Moss Side" due to the amount of moss that would gather on the side of your car whilst waiting to get out of one of those locally made up school car parks!

roaminblue said:
Didsbury Dave said:

Correct. The name "Rusholme" was coined by irate city fans fed up of the fact that fans were leaving matches at Maine Road five minutes before the end.

That is the danger of building a stadium on a Maine Road, while it showed good foresight, it definately hindered the viewing experience of non-tourist locals. Though it must be said that planning for city in those days were second to none

Yes. But it goes back longer.

Hyde Road was named after a famous occasion when United's firm came up in the 1920s and were blitzed so bad by the waiting City hordes, some on horseback, that they all had to hide.

I don't think it was.

Didsbury Dave said:
roaminblue said:
Didsbury Dave said:

That is the danger of building a stadium on a Maine Road, while it showed good foresight, it definately hindered the viewing experience of non-tourist locals. Though it must be said that planning for city in those days were second to none

Hyde Road was named after a famous occasion when United's firm came up in the 1920s and were blitzed so bad by the waiting City hordes, some on horseback, that they all had to hide.

Well Dave, I don't know where your getting your information from because I was told by Noel Gallagher (city fan and wild child from the groin of the more famous and slightly better dressed Frank Gallagher) that it was called Hyde because of his cheeky sibling "Liam", who would hide all the away fans cars with Eamonn Holmes underpants!

It's all about research David...

One for Gary James this, I think, Pete.

It's like the origins of "We're not really here" or the nickname "the rags"- there appear to be several stories in circulation.

Didsbury Dave said:

Despite not being there, I remember it vividly. The city fans wielding tomo-hawks chased the united firm so far that they renamed harlot street to great western street. It had NOTHING to do with the fact the mounted city firm were wearing chaps.

SWP's back said:
I don't think it was.

I swear down,mate.
I was amazed too.
And you won't believe this either but we used to be called St Marks,in recognition of Mark Hughes who wasn't actually born then,but went on to be the most successful manager in our history.
Nobody has done the X-Factor and Greyhound Derby double since Sparky,which is why he was knighted.
Even Roberto Mourinho didn't do that,and look at the money he spent at Liverpool.

Whats this forum about then? Blue Moon? Is that the old song? Who's this Man City everyone's talking about?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.