Approach to Wednesday's game

Silva is the key.

Without Dave it will be the usual one-paced dross relying on a moment of magic from one of our forwards to score.

gio's side step said:
jay_mcfc said:
There have been many times this season where we have played attacking football, contrary to popular opinion, and it almost always ends up with us conceding silly goals and generally means we won't win.

We've had most of our wins by playing our more negative side, building from the back and then overpowering teams through the middle and on the counter.

Of course, what we really need is balance. It's what we've been crying out for all season and in the few games we've gelled in that sense it's ended with fantastic results. Unfortunately they have been too few and far between because of injuries, loss of form, attitude and yes dare I say it Mancini's selections and the way he has set us up at times. Anyone thinking attack attack attack is wrong.

We should sing 'balance.... balance balance balance balance' because it is that that we need!

It's the shape/lack of balance which concerns me the most. Playing Dzeko, Tevez and Balotelli in a 'playground' tactical approach, won't work in tough organised competitive PL games. It's naive. It lacks any balance whatsoever and makes us ridiculously narrow. I accept however, with injuries to Johnson and Silva last week, that until we have everyone fit, we aren't going to really know what Mancini's perception of balance and shape is. Which is why I would play SWP if it, and put one of either Dzeko, Tevez or Balotelli on the bench. That provides more natural width, makes the pitch bigger, allows us to stretch teams with posession, and gives Silva more space in behind Tevez. If everyone were fit, I'd always have Johnson playing in this position, but that front 3 of Balotelli, Tevez and Dzeko might work in European type games, but it won't in the PL. With the FA cup, I'm not sure either way.

-- Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:41 pm --

Didsbury Dave said:
That's my team but I'd have Milner alongside Barry. I don't think Ya Ya can play defensive midfield in this country.

Is Milner fit?

I think he is.

Just read your team again and whilst I'd be happy with it, I'd go for Dzeko up top and SWP on the bench. I loved the way those 4 linked up at Aris. But I'd have no problem at all with SWP giving us some width, and your team would probably get more from Tevez.

Didsbury Dave said:
gio's side step said:
It's the shape/lack of balance which concerns me the most. Playing Dzeko, Tevez and Balotelli in a 'playground' tactical approach, won't work in tough organised competitive PL games. It's naive. It lacks any balance whatsoever and makes us ridiculously narrow. I accept however, with injuries to Johnson and Silva last week, that until we have everyone fit, we aren't going to really know what Mancini's perception of balance and shape is. Which is why I would play SWP if it, and put one of either Dzeko, Tevez or Balotelli on the bench. That provides more natural width, makes the pitch bigger, allows us to stretch teams with posession, and gives Silva more space in behind Tevez. If everyone were fit, I'd always have Johnson playing in this position, but that front 3 of Balotelli, Tevez and Dzeko might work in European type games, but it won't in the PL. With the FA cup, I'm not sure either way.

-- Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:41 pm --

Is Milner fit?

I think he is.

Just read your team again and whilst I'd be happy with it, I'd go for Dzeko up top and SWP on the bench. I loved the way those 4 linked up at Aris. But I'd have no problem at all with SWP giving us some width, and your team would probably get more from Tevez.

I honestly think Dave, in the PL, that front 3 of Dzeko, Tevez and Balotelli won't be cohesive at all. Europe yes, different type of tempo and organisation required, but in the PL, it's too narrow, too individual and lacks team cohesion.

FA cup - i cant decide

gio's side step said:
It's the shape/lack of balance which concerns me the most. Playing Dzeko, Tevez and Balotelli in a 'playground' tactical approach, won't work in tough organised competitive PL games. It's naive. It lacks any balance whatsoever and makes us ridiculously narrow. I accept however, with injuries to Johnson and Silva last week, that until we have everyone fit, we aren't going to really know what Mancini's perception of balance and shape is.

Totally agree, it's a formation and tactic right out of the Mark Hughes handbook. In the future it might work if the balance of the rest of the team is right but those three up top without Silva there to feed them is just like picking positions out of a hat.

The players have to take responsibility too, Dzeko, Balotelli and Tevez all wanted to shoot every time they touched the ball which is not beneficial to the team. I can see they have pressure to score when there 3 strikers on the pitch but it is not about individuals it's about the team.

gio's side step said:
Didsbury Dave said:
I think he is.

I honestly think Dave, in the PL, that front 3 of Dzeko, Tevez and Balotelli won't be cohesive at all. Europe yes, different type of tempo and organisation required, but in the PL, it's too narrow, too individual and lacks team cohesion.

FA cup - i cant decide

It is narrow, and won't suit Dzeko for that reason. But I'd love to see Silva opening a few doors for the other three to capitalise on.

jay_mcfc said:
gio's side step said:
It's the shape/lack of balance which concerns me the most. Playing Dzeko, Tevez and Balotelli in a 'playground' tactical approach, won't work in tough organised competitive PL games. It's naive. It lacks any balance whatsoever and makes us ridiculously narrow. I accept however, with injuries to Johnson and Silva last week, that until we have everyone fit, we aren't going to really know what Mancini's perception of balance and shape is.

Totally agree, it's a formation and tactic right out of the Mark Hughes handbook. In the future it might work if the balance of the rest of the team is right but those three up top without Silva there to feed them is just like picking positions out of a hat.

The players have to take responsibility too, Dzeko, Balotelli and Tevez all wanted to shoot every time they touched the ball which is not beneficial to the team. I can see they have pressure to score when there 3 strikers on the pitch but it is not about individuals it's about the team.

I don't think either SWP nor Milner are fit enough for 90 mins.

jay_mcfc said:
jay_mcfc said:

I don't think either SWP nor Milner are fit enough for 90 mins.

If Milner's not fit then Yaya there then. Just please not Vieira. Suspect you might be right about SWP after the manager, when asked why he didn't use SWP at the weekend, bizarrely said "He is only fit enough for 15 minutes".

jay_mcfc said:
gio's side step said:

I sense the difficulty is also about certain players needing game time and momentum i.e. balotelli and dzeko. Dzeko needs games to get really match sharp. He scores 2 which gives confidence momentum and thus cant be left out. Balotelli equally needs games and momentum. Tevez will always be our biggest threat. So it's difficult to make an argument (from Mancini's perspective) of why any of them shouldnt play.

But you are right. It's about the team. Not individuals. Silva is key I agree. And when everyone is fit, it's great to have those options. But whatever you say about Hughes (I know you hate him) and Fulham, on Sunday they were organised, which makes our shape and formation even more important in tight games. We became very impatient and selfish at times in terms of individuality.

Anyway back to the topic at hand - weds, I sense with it being a cup game and a game we need to win, he will likely go with his strongest selection of players, and not necessarily the most cohesive side

gio's side step said:
I sense the difficulty is also about certain players needing game time and momentum i.e. balotelli and dzeko. Dzeko needs games to get really match sharp. He scores 2 which gives confidence momentum and thus cant be left out. Balotelli equally needs games and momentum. Tevez will always be our biggest threat. So it's difficult to make an argument (from Mancini's perspective) of why any of them shouldnt play.

But you are right. It's about the team. Not individuals. Silva is key I agree. And when everyone is fit, it's great to have those options. But whatever you say about Hughes (I know you hate him) and Fulham, on Sunday they were organised, which makes our shape and formation even more important in tight games. We became very impatient and selfish at times in terms of individuality.

Anyway back to the topic at hand - weds, I sense with it being a cup game and a game we need to win, he will likely go with his strongest selection of players, and not necessarily the most cohesive side

I agree Fulham were well drilled on Sunday but that is much easier to do with a team like Fulham with no egos nd not much expectation.

I agree with your last paragraph and have to say if we just put the best 11 in any which way we can we have a danger of losing. We need to start playing as a proper unit because without Kompany at the back we will have to play much better to not concede. We're at a stage in the season where an individual piece of brilliance is becoming rarer and until we start playing a more fluent, balanced game we're in trouble of ending the season deflated.

Hart

Richards
Boeteng
Lescott
Zabaletta

De Jong
Milner

Balotelli
Toure
Silva

Tevez

I would like this team, if De Jong is fit; don't think Kompany is. Not been overwhelmed by Dzeko yet; 2 good goals against Aris, but it's painfully clear that he still needs time to adjust to the levels needed against better teams. This is not to say I don't think he is any good. A few people have suggested his arrival has 'upset the apple cart' slightly. I am not saying I agree with this, but this kind of thing isn't unheard of....?? I like him, seems like a hard worker, and unlike a few other players, looks like he really wants to be here, just hope he improves. We need top 4, therefore we can't afford to give players the time to bed in at the expense of others, it's about the here and now at the moment.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.