Are Gundogan, Laporte, Mahrez and Palmer missed at all?

We’re missing a bit of experience so with Kev out long term I wouldn’t include Palmer, who I suspect is an outsider, mentally, and will end up never settling anywhere. He has been replaced already by the new signings and Oscar Bobb.

Any of the other three would be useful now, especially Gundo or Laporte. But it is what it is, I’m glad we parted with all 3 on good terms.

I think we miss Gundo, and concerning Cole, this season he would have done very well for us I think, but he obviously wasn’t committed to playing for City, shame he didn’t have a bond with the club, there was a clear pathway for minutes this season.

I don‘t think we’d be considering Gundo as a miss if we had Kev fit, and similar with Riyad that we’ve had a fair number out so he’d have definitely helped early season.

That said, bar the Carabao defeat which will prove to be a blessing anyway, then we are in fine fettle.

I would agree and Pep must have had similar thoughts but he's had a very solid start at Chelsea in very difficult circumstances.

From what I’ve heard/ seen pep wanted him to stay, but he never keeps players who want to leave.

He’s been really good when he’s played for Chelsea so far. I think he would have been good for us and offered us goals and created chances

Gundo and Mahrez were big, BIG game players. Got us out the shit a lot of times.

But if they were still here then we don’t see Lewis at 8, or Alvarez playing regularly, or even Foden and I doubt we’d have seen Doku come in. Gvardiol was coming in regardless of Laporte, no chance the club were letting that chance pass by.

I think it was for the best just to give the squad a new feel, fresh legs and a different dimension to how we play. We won’t know if it’s for the best until the end of the season but I’m personally happy the club didn’t stand still after a treble.

Last edited:
Gundogan was a huge presence so we've got to find different ways of playing without him.

Laporte and Mahrez were both important at different times, but equally we needed to freshen up the squad so it was a good move for all concerned.

Mixed feelings about Palmer, because I still haven't see a definitive interview where either he or Pep admit that the only solution was for him to leave. Just a lot of people hearing, (or pretending to hear) third party gossip.
He wouldn't have started every game, but neither did Mahrez.

Gundo yes... the others no
Trouble is whilst he’s one of the greatest players we’ve had, we have to recognise & plan for the fact that we can’t allow the team to become reliant on “aging” players.

Great as he is/was - it got to the stage that he didn’t turn up for every game (was often criticised for slowing down the game) - but when he did - WOW.

To avoid major “transition” problems we have to make tough decisions

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.