Are Gundogan, Laporte, Mahrez and Palmer missed at all?

From what I’ve heard/ seen pep wanted him to stay, but he never keeps players who want to leave.

He’s been really good when he’s played for Chelsea so far. I think he would have been good for us and offered us goals and created chances
He, Palmer felt he wanted more game time which is understandable but in a team of our brilliance that is incredibly difficult at his stage of his career.

He has backed his talent and taken a huge risk in leaving, fair play to him, let's see how he develops.

They are all gone we move on !
City under Pep are always evolving that is why we are so successful.

For me no. Possibly gundo on occasions but generally im happy with our replacements. Big loss is Kev at the minute

Gundo definitely. Although even that is largely down to the injuries (and suspensions) we've had. If Rodri and Bernardo are out, I don't think we have anyone who can dictate the game and be an utterly reliable person to pass the ball to in any situation while also having the vision to make stuff happen. Kovacic isn't that sort of player. He can do the first bit, but once he gets to the edge of the box, he doesn't have that spark of creativity that Gundo has.

On balance no, mainly because it’s giving younger star players more opportunity to shine. I’m thinking In particular of Foden, Alvarez and Doku. One way or another, we’re covering the loss of Mahrez.

Palmer never really established himself. While sorry he felt the need to go, I’m pleased at the progress of Rico and Bobb.

Gvardiol should prove an adequate replacement for Laporte, possibly more than that in the long run. We have other decent options too.

That said, we’d have benefitted from another year from Gundo, particularly in KDB’s absence.

In summary, we continue to evolve and adapt.

Last edited:
Gundogan and Mahrez left at the peak of their careers, better them gone than watch their steady decline like we watched Yaya rapidly decline. In order to stay ahead we need players below their peak and keep them till they peak. Pep knows exactly what he's doing.

You're asking the question 10 games into our first season without all three. Let's see where we are in April/May and who out of the current squad steps up in those moments we would normally have seen Gundo and Mahrez do so.

We're off to a good start (let's ignore the Wolves game). Palmer is the one who has been replaced relatively easily so far by Doku, that's not a reflection on his ability but more the game time he got in the past season or two.

I think we're missing Gundogan's football intelligence. How many times was he always in the right place to score from rebounds or as a counterfoil for our attacking players?
I know it's still early days this season, but I can't see who is going to replace his goals.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.