Are Gundogan, Laporte, Mahrez and Palmer missed at all?

Missed in the sense that I enjoyed watching them play? A few of them, yes.

Missed in the sense that I think we would have won at Wolves or Newcastle with Mahrez and Palmer playing? Absolutely not.

Missed in the sense that their spirit and experience at the end of the season can carry us through...we'll find out.

Gundogan certainly and to a lesser degree Mahrez
Agree with this. Gundogan is absolutely missed as he could control the game , create opportunities for others against a tightly packed defence and weighed in with goals. Think his replacement was planned to be Pacqueta and we have to adapt and cover him with a combination of players to cover the goals he scored/created but the midfield intelligence that comes with experience is where we have an issue if one or two others drop out (Like Rodri, Bernardo and Silva). Kovacic/Nunes look decent players but nowhere as influential in changing a game yet.

Mahrez gave us something different with the ability to go past players and the goals with Palmer not convincing as a replacement but Doku certainly has started to look the part as a different option to Jack. Laporte was done and Palmer had not really started (although I liked the idea of Palmer breaking through the same as I like the idea of Bobb doing the same but no guarantees either will deliver on the potential)

Gundo definitely for his own individual bit of magic, either by assists, defence-splitting passes, or really important goals.

Laporte was a solid player and a good professional.

Palmer, I suppose we'll never know now what he might have achieved with our club.

Mahrez, a player I was never really fully convinced about, but appreciate his contributions, and also some important goals. The time was right for both club and player and we got a decent fee for him.

I notice also that Barcelona's winning goal at Porto last night, was scored by Torres, with the assist by Gundo!

He's still doing it!

They will all be missed to the new signings have bedded in properly. But what a decision pep has when everyone fully fit wow. Gonna be some disappointed players but I see our best team as.

Ederson

Walker
Dias
Stones
Garvdiol

Rodri
Kdb
Alvarez

Bernardo
Haaland
Foden

Would leave a bench of

Ortega
Lewis
Akanji
Ake
Nunes
Kovacic
Grealish
Doku
Phillips
Gomez
Bobb

And yet people were crying out for more signings.

Agree with this. Gundogan is absolutely missed as he could control the game , create opportunities for others against a tightly packed defence and weighed in with goals. Think his replacement was planned to be Pacqueta and we have to adapt and cover him with a combination of players to cover the goals he scored/created but the midfield intelligence that comes with experience is where we have an issue if one or two others drop out (Like Rodri, Bernardo and Silva). Kovacic/Nunes look decent players but nowhere as influential in changing a game yet.

Mahrez gave us something different with the ability to go past players and the goals with Palmer not convincing as a replacement but Doku certainly has started to look the part as a different option to Jack. Laporte was done and Palmer had not really started (although I liked the idea of Palmer breaking through the same as I like the idea of Bobb doing the same but no guarantees either will deliver on the potential)
Quality of delivery from Mahrez as well. We used to score a lot of goals from his curling inswingers delivered from the corner of the 18 yard box to the back stick

The team needed to evolve and some younger talent brought in. Maybe short term we will miss particularly Gundo, but hopefully this is the next evolution of the squad and the start of the next brilliant team.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.