Are people thicker these days?

History wise I doubt many under the age of 25 could tell you who historical figures from this country like henry II, alfred the great, newton, stephenson, brunel and even dick turpin were.

Do young uns still get taken to style mill and other sites and taught about stuff, my school took us there, chatsworth house, the blue john mines, nottingham (to learn about robin hood) and many other places of historical value, we also had an allotment plot at parrs wood so we could learn to grow food and other useful skills.
Fuck me, theres a long buried memory. I had a school trip to Styal Mill a worryingly high number of decades ago

The media celebrates thick people nowadays,it started with jade (god rest her soul) she became a multi millionare,that's why the youngsters go on reality shows,they have no skills to get famous any other way,the media laps it up so they focus on that
I think in general the population are about the same as always has been

Without doubt. I am playing about with an early 20s barmaid from our local juicer. Some of the spelling in her texts is beyond wrong. She told me this morning how her shift last night left her nackard, and how she felt self conscious because she has a coldsaw on her lip.
Bet you'd forgive her if she had your coleslaw on her lip ; )

Fuck me, theres a long buried memory. I had a school trip to Styal Mill a worryingly high number of decades ago

Well mine was 30 years ago, but I still remeber what a spinning jenny is, how to make paper and how water wheels can power stuff, once we are in the nuclear winter of trumps north korean war those skills will be much useful along with growing veg than if I can text at 100 words a minute

I remember munching down all the peas when we went to styal mill, i had never eaten fresh fresh food like that before. I know i was supposed to learn about engineering but i remember thinking growing your own food was cool. Anyone else shocked at how sweet the peas were?

I have to say my nieces are smart in what they do but general knowledge is not great, geography, general sciences etc, all things kids these days do not get taught properly.

Blue John mines were cool, i remember liking the science of rock filtration over millennia and thinking how it was weird calcium in my bones was in the rock to. I did try kicking that huge column of it over, all 32 tonnes of it, got bollocked.

Just read that Fast and Furious 9 has had the biggest opening weekend of all time, beating Star wars. Is this, along with Mrs. Browns Boys getting best comedy of the 21st century, proof if proof be needed that a nuclear war is probably a good option to thin out the numbers a bit?
I know TV and the media like to dumb people down, but it genuinely feels like a lot of people these days are borderline simple. Mrs Browns Boys for fucks sake!

Anyone else thinking how ironic it is saying people are thick while getting the film number wrong!

I work in a very busy public environment every day,so i'm in a very good position to offer input.

From experience,i'd say that people have definitely regressed in terms of intelligence,common sense and basic social skills.Rudeness and selfishness are also undesirable traits i witness on a very frequent basis.

My biggest gripe is that many individuals are unwilling to take responsibility for themselves,they are far too inclined to let others think,act and even provide for them,while simultaneously finding reason to place blame elsewhere.

Anyone else thinking how ironic it is saying people are thick while getting the film number wrong!

Haha. I actually said 9 taking the piss because theres been so many. Didnt realise how close i actually was! Theres been 8 of them?!?! Mental

Do parents no longer take their kids to Chatsworth house, the blue John mines, York?
Do they not tell their children Robin Hood was an urban myth and of no historical value?
Parrswood was a great educational venue until the council had to sell it cos they had no money to run it.

And the scientific evidence is that people are getting more intelligent.

See

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-31556802

I work in a very busy public environment every day,so i'm in a very good position to offer input.

From experience,i'd say that people have definitely regressed in terms of intelligence,common sense and basic social skills.Rudeness and selfishness are also undesirable traits i witness on a very frequent basis.

My biggest gripe is that many individuals are unwilling to take responsibility for themselves,they are far too inclined to let others think,act and even provide for them,while simultaneously finding reason to place blame elsewhere.
Not taking responsibility for yourself is a spreading contagion aided and abetted by PC shite, fat knackers blaming
supermarkets and shops for their inability to keep their mouths shut for 10 minutes, the government actually
planning to force manufacturers to reduce sugar and fat in their produce.
Social skills is another societal regression, plenty of kids can't use a knife and fork, or hold them correctly, and table manners
are becoming a thing of the past. As for general intelligence, it's not logical to presume the current generation are thicker,
but technology has stifled a lot of practical skills, basic household repairs or decoration are beyond many of them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.