Are we clearly suffering from a lack of striker this season? Have midtable sides figured us out?

Pick one that does then. We had such a player in Aguero. Some seemed to think he didn't run around and press but he absolutely did and he kept the ball in play and recycled around as well as any of our current front men.

So I get your point sure, but it's a bit of a lame argument. And as for the idea that we should deliberately try to be a bit crap so that we give the others a chance and not wrap up the league by January? Now that's just silly.
Bolded bit. Not what I said. There's a difference between "trying to be a bit crap" and simply keeping the Premier League competitive while still coming out on top. I don't follow City because we win all the time or on the condition that we get loads of trophies; maybe you do, though.

As for the rest, where is this Aguero replacement you think we could have signed in the summer? Do you see him anywhere? Is Aguero a once-in-a-lifetime kind of striker, the like of which we'll ever see again, or is he someone who has clones all over Europe that we can apparently just sign for £50m?

Bolded bit. Not what I said. There's a difference between "trying to be a bit crap" and simply keeping the Premier League competitive while still coming out on top. I don't follow City because we win all the time or on the condition that we get loads of trophies; maybe you do, though.

As for the rest, where is this Aguero replacement you think we could have signed in the summer? Do you see him anywhere? Is Aguero a once-in-a-lifetime kind of striker, the like of which we'll ever see again, or is he someone who has clones all over Europe that we can apparently just sign for £50m?
Whichever way you cut it, "keeping the Premier League competitive" by deliberately doing less well than you could do, or even by just not trying to better yourselves, is a ridiculous idea. Worded however you want to word it.

And I didn't say Aguero replacements were 10 a penny. But that does not mean we should not be recognising the need or not even bothering to look.

Your "well it's working fine so let's leave it as it is" is a sure fire way towards steady decline. We should *always* be looking for areas to improve upon and how we can be better. As I am 100% certain Pep is/does.

Whichever way you cut it, "keeping the Premier League competitive" by deliberately doing less well than you could do, or even by just not trying to better yourselves, is a ridiculous idea. Worded however you want to word it.

And I didn't say Aguero replacements were 10 a penny. But that does not mean we should not be recognising the need or not even bothering to look.

Your "well it's working fine so let's leave it as it is" is a sure fire way towards steady decline. We should *always* be looking for areas to improve upon and how we can be better. As I am 100% certain Pep is/does.
The fact Pep and Txiki wanted and put a bid in for Kane, are keeping Delap, and are singing Alvarez and maybe even another in the Summer as well is a sure sign that they want a striker.

There’s an argument to say we aren’t particularly missing a striker too much (although watch the full Chelsea game back and everyone would see we missed one in that game more than any other this season); but there isn’t an argument to say we don’t need one.

If we didn’t need one we wouldn’t be buying one.

Haaland gurantees the league....apparently
We don't need him, doin' fine without him
We should have replaced Kun before he left
Pep's fault apparently, he could have signed any one from the long list of Kun-level strikers.....
Stale-mate on the thread, no-score draw at h/t
Kun's departure was long inevitable; given Peps famous attention to detail, he wont have missed this. (ffs). I believe the new version of the Revie plan , aka the false nine is NOT a knee-jerk sticking-plaster strategy playing for time, until the chosen one arrives, but a pointer to what Pep's plans for the future are. He seems to want all his players to be "universal soldiers". It's not a unique concept, just very hard to accept after eons of "big man up top", "wingers with chalk on their boots", "tricky inside forwards", and so on. "Total football " refined and improved, the Holy Grail of Pep-ball. Amen

We will be looking for areas to improve in the summer. Right now, the system we have works just fine. It won't work forever. We will make the requisite changes when appropriate. That time is not now.

It's likely been said but we're not really suffering from the lack of a striker. However of course there's never any harm having a player who can do it in the squad; variety is king.

Signing a striker wouldn't magically improve us though, in the same way signing a good quality conventional left back wouldn't either. Again, it gives us more options (which is good), but for every little way we'd improve we'd probab;y get equally weaker by some other metric.

If we signed Haaland we likely would get better (after he settled), but it's not because he's a striker, it's because he's got the makings of an absolutely incredible footballer. That's really the only way this time could improve, with individual quality as opposed to specific positional signings. And when you look at our team, there's not too much room for improvement on an individual scale.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.