Are we dining at the top table or not?

Mister Appointment said:
OB1 said:
I have no doubt that a calculated risk has been taken or that we would be unlucky not to cope with our squad. However, that does not change my view that a potentially avoidable risk has been taken and that the squad took a step backwards because something did not go to plan.

I'll dispute that the squad has taken a backwards step because it's stronger in other departments even if we've lost Negredo. I do think though that this is the nub of it. A calculated risk has been taken. But in football, without being churlish, everything is a risk when it comes to player sales/acquisitions. Only the future can decide these decisions. Which is why I personally don't understand the excessive flapping. Not by you I might add, as I know you're one of the more level headed posters around. It's just that you cannot dispute the general tone of the forum since last night has been negative to the point of ridiculousness.

Whenever things descend to the point where posters dust down their grudges with the "Barca Boys" from 2013 you just know that all sense has been lost and the idiots have once again taken over the asylum and been given the morsel they need to chew to death whilst muttering grave passages in latin.

No doubt some of the reaction to yesterday's events will have been OTT but, as far as I am concerned, on deadline day a team like City should be getting rid of players who are surplus to requirements and, if absolutely necessary, strengthening the squad; it should not weaken its squad. However, that is what City did. Is anyone out there seriously going to hold their hand up and tell me that selling Negredo, without replacing him, improved the squad? Is anyone going to assure me that that is just what Txiki and Pellegrini had planned all along?

Mister Appointment said:
OB1 said:
I have no doubt that a calculated risk has been taken or that we would be unlucky not to cope with our squad. However, that does not change my view that a potentially avoidable risk has been taken and that the squad took a step backwards because something did not go to plan.

I'll dispute that the squad has taken a backwards step because it's stronger in other departments even if we've lost Negredo. I do think though that this is the nub of it. A calculated risk has been taken. But in football, without being churlish, everything is a risk when it comes to player sales/acquisitions. Only the future can decide these decisions. Which is why I personally don't understand the excessive flapping. Not by you I might add, as I know you're one of the more level headed posters around. It's just that you cannot dispute the general tone of the forum since last night has been negative to the point of ridiculousness.

Whenever things descend to the point where posters dust down their grudges with the "Barca Boys" from 2013 you just know that all sense has been lost and the idiots have once again taken over the asylum and been given the morsel they need to chew to death whilst muttering grave passages in latin.

No doubt some of the reaction to yesterday's events will have been OTT but, as far as I am concerned, on deadline day a team like City should be getting rid of players who are surplus to requirements and, if absolutely necessary, strengthening the squad; it should not weaken its squad. However, that is what City did. Is anyone out there seriously going to hold their hand up and tell me that selling Negredo, without replacing him, improved the squad? Is anyone going to assure me that that is just what Txiki and Pellegrini had planned all along?

Mister Appointment said:
OB1 said:

Whenever things descend to the point where posters dust down their grudges with the "Barca Boys" from the summer of 2013 you just know that all sense has been lost and the idiots have once again taken over the asylum and been given the morsel they need to chew to death whilst muttering grave passages in latin.

I think OB1 is saying the squad took a backward step purely based on the activity of the last day with Negredo's departure, as opposed to the window as a whole.

edit....as if by magic. :-)

Rammy Blue said:
Mister Appointment said:
OB1 said:

Whenever things descend to the point where posters dust down their grudges with the "Barca Boys" from the summer of 2013 you just know that all sense has been lost and the idiots have once again taken over the asylum and been given the morsel they need to chew to death whilst muttering grave passages in latin.

I think OB1 is saying the squad took a backward step purely based on the activity of the last day with Negredo's departure, as opposed to the window as a whole.

edit....as if by magic. :-)

:)

Marvin said:
So when we're spending we're running football, and when we're not, it's "Hah!, You're money has run out"

It's a combination of FFP sanctions, and where we are in team-building

We were never going to carry on spending £100m per season.

But I think in 12 months you'll see City do what Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern do and cherry-pick the world's best players which might involve fees of £50m plus.

In a couple of years time, the North and South Stands will have been extended. We'll have one of Europe's iconic stadium and rather than struggling to get out of our Champions League groups, we'll be one of a small group of favourites.

The last 5 years have been special, so will the next 5.
Well said Marvin. I do like it when you occasionally manage to shake off your lugubriousness.

OB1 said:
Mister Appointment said:
OB1 said:

With respect mate, none of us know what Txiki and Pellegrini had planned. You are arguing something none of us can prove. Yes selling a player from the first 22, regardless of the player, without replacing him is on the face of it, weakening the squad. But again, we simply don't know the WHAT/WHY. If you're arguing "ah, but Falcao/Mendes had their pants down and they ended up having to sell Negredo without a back up" fine. I'll say what I said earlier. I believe that Negredo would've been sold regardless of the outcome of the Falcao transfer and I believe that City will have always viewed the Falcao transfer as a one off because of the potential cheap fee for such a high profile player due to his position at Monaco. If there really was a serious feeling that selling Negredo needed another player brought in, then rest assured that the scouts at City have a list of players for each position who is available and at what price. They could've pulled the trigger on any one of them at any point yesterday. They didn't, because IMO they didn't want to. As we said calculated gamble.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
Marvin said:
So when we're spending we're running football, and when we're not, it's "Hah!, You're money has run out"

But I think in 12 months you'll see City do what Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern do and cherry-pick the world's best players which might involve fees of £50m plus.

In a couple of years time, the North and South Stands will have been extended. We'll have one of Europe's iconic stadium and rather than struggling to get out of our Champions League groups, we'll be one of a small group of favourites.

Well said Marvin. I do like it when you occasionally manage to shake off your lugubriousness.

In a day of very little excitement, you have at least ensured I have learned something new.

"lugubriousness"

Fuck knows how you pronounce the word but I like it. :-)

Shaelumstash said:
Corky said:
Shaelumstash said:
Is that definitely the case? I was under the impression that Nastasic for example didn't have to be included in our overseas quota last year as he was under 21? I'm not sure on it though, that was just what I thought.

We got 2 years of Ballotelli not counting to the squad, there was no two year period then, but things might have changed?

That's what I thought. Any players under 21s don't count, and players over 21 who've been at the club for 2 years count as "home grown". Can anyone confirm?

This has been discussed at lengths in the transfer forums. You donot need to register U21 players for the PL, you need to register those U21 players who haven't been at the club for 2 or more years if you want them to take part in the CL. Nastasic is an example, last two seasons he was in the CL A-List but this season he is exempt as he is U21 and has been at the club for 2 years

Marvin said:

As others have said, it's a great post by Marvin.

He lets himself down by underestimating us. "In a couple of years time we'll be one of the small group of favourites".

Right at this moment I honestly believe we may have the strongest side in Europe. The only side out there that I wouldn't fancy playing right now is Real Madrid. I honestly think that we could and should take Chelsea, Barcelona and Bayern over a two legged tie.

Our players walk out to the tune on home match days "Right here, right now" - this is it and where we are at this point in time is what dining at the top table is like.

Rammy Blue said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
Marvin said:

In a day of very little excitement, you have at least ensured I have learned something new.

"lugubriousness"

Fuck knows how you pronounce the word but I like it. :-)
I take great pleasure in disseminating my vocabulary across cyberspace.

In case anyone is wondering if I use words like these in the real world in the course of everyday conversation: Yes. Yes I do.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.