Argentina national team with Falklands banner

It's pidgin English. Origin uncertain, first encountered amongst the Chinese diaspora, especially in Singapore and the rest of the Malaya peninsula Borneo etc as a go-between language between the non-Mandarin Chinese (whether native Cantonese speakers or not), British, Dutch and Portuguese (the business and civil servant classes of the latter two usually speaking English as a second language) especially used in the merchant trade all the way from Rangoon through the S. China Sea, and up through the Bohai.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with birds.

I apologize if this post causes offence.

davymcfc said:
Things like that should be kept away from football. I really want Argentina to do well this World Cup but it's things like that which will turn a lot of people against them.

Agree 100%. About the Malvinas/Falklands sovereignty I prefer not give my opinion, because I don't want to start a fight. The only thing I have to say is that the people need to read more and talk less about the history of the islands and the conflict. On both sides.
Sorry for my poor english. Greatings from Rosario

nachop666 said:
davymcfc said:
Things like that should be kept away from football. I really want Argentina to do well this World Cup but it's things like that which will turn a lot of people against them.

Agree 100%. About the Malvinas/Falklands sovereignty I prefer not give my opinion, because I don't want to start a fight. The only thing I have to say is that the people need to read more and talk less about the history of the islands and the conflict. On both sides.

actually the only thing people really need to read about are the opinions of those people who live on the falklands

nachop666 said:
davymcfc said:

I once sat next to a music conductor from Rosario on a flight from Washington DC to Buenos Aires who was a Falklands veteran, who fought in the war when he was 18. A thoroughly absorbing conversation and a lovely bloke.

The Argentinian conscripts didn't stand a chance against the professional fighting force that was, and is, the British Army.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
nachop666 said:
davymcfc said:

I once sat next to a music conductor from Rosario on a flight from Washington DC to Buenos Aires who was a Falklands veteran, who fought in the war when he was 18. A thoroughly absorbing conversation and a lovely bloke.

The Argentinian conscripts didn't stand a chance against the professional fighting force that was, and is, the British Army.

I didn't talk about the war. I respect all veterans (that's how you say it?) british and argentines. In fact 4 conscripts of the ARA Belgrano are from my town, luckily they survive.

nachop666 said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
nachop666 said:

I didn't talk about the war. I respect all veterans (that's how you say it?) british and argentines. In fact 4 conscripts of the ARA Belgrano are from my town, luckily they survive.

Almost all of the Argentines on both land and sea were year one or year two conscripts. Once the British were able to land, there was really only one outcome. There's a wonderful book called Forgotten Voices of the Falklands - I don't know if it was translated and re-named in Argentina, I hope so - because it just talks to all involved at every level on both sides and let's them tell their own story. The conditions the Argentine conscripts had to contend with, and their treatment, was appalling. Many comment that their treatment as captives of the British was much better than under their own officers.

Sigh said:
It's pidgin English. Origin uncertain, first encountered amongst the Chinese diaspora, especially in Singapore and the rest of the Malaya peninsula Borneo etc as a go-between language between the non-Mandarin Chinese (whether native Cantonese speakers or not), British, Dutch and Portuguese (the business and civil servant classes of the latter two usually speaking English as a second language) especially used in the merchant trade all the way from Rangoon through the S. China Sea, and up through the Bohai.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with birds.

I apologize if this post causes offence.
I'm offended!
Please don't use American spellings!

nachop666 said:
davymcfc said:

Fascinating to hear from someone in Argentina!
You're English is fine - greetings back to you!
I certainly hope Argentina do well in the World Cup.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.