Argentina national team with Falklands banner

It isn't something that will go unpunished - I think FIFA have a strong code of conduct relating to these kinds of things. I am glad that the City players are not involved because that would be extremely direspectful. Argentina remains a place that I would love to go to (and hopefully will later this year). I have always had a strong affection for their footballers too (aside from the hand of God). They have always played the game with an attacking intent and some physicality - some of my favourite players through the ages have been Argentinian and how can you not love Pablo Zabaleta!

It is sad to see footballers and football used as a method of gaining political support. The majority of players live in Europe and will have no opinion over the Falklands - indeed most Argentinians see it as the birth of democracy in their country. Any war and loss of life is a tragedy but I think they take that as a silver lining. The economic situation there is pressuring the government and the Falklands, and their apparent oil riches, are an obvious card to play.

Will be interesting to see if they are fined for these actions - there should be some punishment.

bluebrickroad said:
No we don't.....we just want the oil reserves around the island......in all truth the Government couldn't give a flying f*ck about the Falklands.

Correct - sad, but so very true.[/quote]

Compare the words of our politicians '' The Falklands are British and will be defended as British subjects all over the world expect and deserve'', to the treatment of British subjects who had the misfortune to be born on Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean. Rounded up and dumped on Mauritius, no compensation, no consultation, no explanation.
A deal with America, they get a base, we get a deal on Trident.
Strangely, ( sarcasm alert ) the media chose to ignore it. May be both parties agreed it was a good deal, or there was no election looming.
Whatever, it showed the faux outrage over the Falklands as nothing more than vote-grabbing . Would a prime minister who had just won an election have allowed the situation to reach invasion action? Not a fuckin' chance. If the Belgrano sinking had been so crucial, would the Conqueror's log have gone ''missing''? Again, not a fuckin' chance.

Fowlers Penalty Miss said:
foxy said:
No doubt their president had a say in the matter. The players and people probably couldn't give a shite about the Falklands. Poor economical situation in Argentina right now, immediate resolution for their president is to bring up the Falklands.

I spent some time in Argentina a decade or so ago, and whenever the subject of the Malvinas came up, I never experienced any hostility. It was more like light hearted banter, a bit of a joke. I thought that, deep down, they would like the islands to be within their sovereignty, but they accepted they were British, so to speak, and that was that.

There is a respect for Britain in Argentina, which came as a surprise to me at the time. I didn't know much about their history when I went there, but you don't have to spend much time there to see very visible evidence of substantial British investment in the country years ago.

The Royal Navy sent a task force down there early in the 19th century, I think it was just after Spain had granted them independence, but the Royal Navy got well and truly battered in the River Plate, so we never got to 'own' the country, and we never tried again.

More than a few Argentines told me they wished they had been part of the British Empire. They thought, rightly or wrongly, the country would be a much fairer place with a better distribution of wealth and less corruption.

We'll never know, as we can't turn the clock back, but after having lived there for a while, there is no reason to believe they are natural enemies of ours.

The Malvinas will always be a thorn in their side, and politicians with votes to gain through public support will often use them as a way of achieving popularity, but it also has to be remembered that most Argentines regard their loss to the British forces in the early 80's as one of the best things that happened to their country, as it rid them of the hated military junta and replaced it with a democracy.

I'm not saying the place is a utopia, but when I was there, every week the mothers of the 'disappeared' gathered in the main square with photographs of their children that had been taken by the security forces and never seen or heard of again.

40,000 of them met their deaths that way.

As for the banner, it's noticeable that none of the City players are holding it.

Two countries won the Falklands conflict, and if you ever go to Argentina, you'll understand why.

Great post FPM

Taximania said:
I honestly believe that Argentina should be expelled from the competition.

A brazen political maneouvre to gather sympathy and support from a world wide audience.
Disgraceful behavior.
This is the world cup not a political platform !

As from the highlighted quotations.
The conclusion is reached that no one actually gives a shit.

I will however give a few examples of people who actually do give a shit.

The friends and family and countrymen of Sergeant McKay VC

14lk7jr.jpg

During the night of 11th/12th June 1982, 3rd Battalion The Parachute Regiment mounted a silent night attack on an enemy battalion position on Mount Longdon, an important objective in the battle for Port Stanley in the Falkland Islands. Sergeant McKay was platoon sergeant of 4 Platoon, B Company, which, after the initial objective had been secured, was ordered to clear the Northern side of the long East/West ridge feature, held by the enemy in depth, with strong, mutually-supporting positions.
By now the enemy were fully alert, and resisting fiercely. As 4 Platoon's advance continued it came under increasingly heavy fire from a number of well-sited enemy machine gun positions on the ridge, and received casualties. Realising that no further advance was possible the Platoon Commander ordered the Platoon to move from its exposed position to seek shelter among the rocks of the ridge itself. Here it met up with part of 5 Platoon. The enemy fire was still both heavy and accurate, and the position of the platoons was becoming increasingly hazardous. Taking Sergeant McKay, a Corporal and a few others, and covered by supporting machine gun fire, the Platoon Commander moved forward to reconnoitre the enemy positions but was hit by a bullet in the leg, and command devolved upon Sergeant McKay.

It was clear that instant action was needed if the advance was not to falter and increasing casualties to ensue. Sergeant McKay decided to convert this reconnaissance into an attack in order to eliminate the enemy positions. He was in no doubt of the strength and deployment of the enemy as he undertook this attack. He issued orders, and taking three men with him, broke cover and charged the enemy position. The assault was met by a hail of fire. The Corporal was seriously wounded, a Private killed and another wounded. Despite these losses Sergeant McKay, with complete disregard for his own safety, continued to charge the enemy position alone. On reaching it he despatched the enemy with grenades, thereby relieving the position of beleaguered 4 and 5 Platoons, who were now able to redeploy with relative safety. Sergeant McKay, however, was killed at the moment of victory, his body falling on the bunker. Without doubt Sergeant McKay's action retrieved a most dangerous situation and was instrumental in ensuring the success of the attack. His was a coolly calculated act, the dangers of which must have been all too apparent to him beforehand. Undeterred he performed with outstanding selflessness, perseverance and courage.

The friends family and countrymen of Pte Neil Grose who fell in battle on his 18th birthday...
11th June1982 Mount Longdon

dlkls7.jpg

On his eighteenth birthday Neil advanced to contact with the company, attacking positions with 4 Platoon to the northern side of the ridge. At some time after midnight on the 12th June Neil was shot in the chest and died some three hours later as his friends struggled to save his life.

The friends and countrymen of all the fallen at Mount Longden

25tdlyp.gif

The families of these fallen heroes.

15aicz.jpg

The families of the 19 dead sailors from HMS Coventry attacked by A4 Argintinian Syhawks and sunk.

oj7l.jpg

These are just a selection restricted to the space of message boards.

And last but not least for what it is worth I personally give a shit.
As long as folk continue to give a shit then their immense sacrifices will never have been in vain.

May their names live in our memories for ever more.

I hazard a guess that there was not much home sympathy for the sinking of the enemy ship Belgrano.
Our country was in a state of war with an aggressor.
The effect of the sinking of Belgrano however was to force the Argentinian Navy back to port for the full duration of the war and in doing so protected our troops from danger.

Have a great world cup everyone.

Blue Punter said:
The Ox said:
I've often wondered how other fans would react to Kun, Zaba & Martin if it all kicked off again with Argentina.
Ultimately I came to the conclusion that deep down no one actually gives a shit.
I'm 40 now so don't really remember the feeling at the time politically, but how were Ardiles and Villa treated by opposing fans ?

Both went out on loan I think. PSG springs to mind.
EDIT: Ardilles definitely did, maybe Villa stayed.

I was 10 or 11 at the time of the conflict and this sounds awful, but it was almost glorified at my school. We did a big project on it. Everyone had to write resumes about some of the protagonists. Thatcher, Galtieiri, Ian Macdonald, John Knott etc. The ones who got the gold stars were those who wrote in glowing terms about the British Government officials. Wasn't much sympathy offered when the Belgrano was sank.

I was at Longdon and this is why that banner offends me so much!

Fowlers Penalty Miss said:
The Royal Navy sent a task force down there early in the 19th century, I think it was just after Spain had granted them independence, but the Royal Navy got well and truly battered in the River Plate, so we never got to 'own' the country, and we never tried again.

We didn't really try then either - that little episode was essentially a private enterprise, launched without the knowledge of - and to the utter fury of - the UK government. When it all went horrendously wrong, they felt duty bound to send assistance to them, but it absolutely wasn't a deliberate attempt by the British to take over the country. Getting the idiots out became the priority quite quickly, and those responsible were ahhhh somewhat unpopular on their return.

Ifwecouldjust....... said:
MaccJoe123 said:
Its so silly, the falklands want to be a british territory we want them. They have been since 1833, nothing more to say.

No we don't.....we just want the oil reserves around the island......in all truth the Government couldn't give a flying f*ck about the Falklands.

I suspect this has is, indeed, the case.

As for th Argies, I dont have any problem with them or they little flag. It certainly doesnt offend me.

Anyone who gets offended by a banner really needs have a long hard look at themselves.

We've had two posters on this thread who both served in the Falklands, one is offended, one couldn't care less: not hard to hazard a guess as to which one lives the happier life.

Crab Paste! said:
We've had two posters on this thread who both served in the Falklands, one is offended, one couldn't care less: not hard to hazard a guess as to which one lives the happier life.

What a cuntish comment.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.