Arsenal (A) - PL Post Match Thread

Playing Bernie in that role really didn’t work. Ridiculous when we have those players on the bench.

Needed Bernie’s creativity up top today & jacks control too

Disappointing couple of weeks but we'll be fine.

Bad performance today. Thought we were going to get out of there alive because Arsenal were clearly nervous, but lucky deflections are lucky deflections and that's that really. They deserved the win, just about, but it was pretty flat from both sides until the goal. They can have their day, though, because we'll be finishing above them yet again come May and June.

Just too many things happening at once for us right now. We'd be able to cope without Rodri if we'd not also lost Stones, De Bruyne, Kovacic, and Grealish all at the same time as well, but them's the breaks. All of them going missing at the same time has meant we've overstretched a pretty thin squad and every game seems to have had a knock-on effect right into the next one.

Reminds me a bit of how Walker's red card against Leipzig in December 2021 resulted in a 37-year-old Fernandinho playing right-back against Vinicius Jr. in May 2022, albeit more directly. Rodri's handbags with Gibbs-White has resulted in us having to throw an unfit Stones and a low-confidence Nunes in to try and change a game at the Emirates against a team who signed our £105m top target. Again, them's the breaks.

And, on top of that, when you're having a bad run with injuries, the fixture list either helps you out or fucks you over. We could have easily played Luton at home last week and Bournemouth away today, and we could have easily been drawn against a team from League One in the cup or played Young Boys at home in the week. But instead we've played Newcastle and Arsenal and Leipzig with about 13 fit players in the space of 10 days.

Four consecutive away games. Never easy.

With that said, the international break has come at a good time. Stones can get match-fit without us losing any ground, we can get all the lads away from each other after two bad weeks to clear their heads, we can get our other midfielders back in training, and we can get Rodri sharp again. We all know we take until Christmas to really, really look our best and I can't imagine this season will be any different.

Come on, City. We know it's a marathon rather than a sprint better than any other team in this league.

Last edited:
I think we have four or five players out of form - Add to that missing two of our main men in midfield and we looked devoid of belief anytime we got anywhere near their box. Things will change and it's kind of amusing to see how they celebrated after - do they never learn. It is and always has been about hitting form just after Xmas.

Kev is missed more than ever in these sort of games - he takes them by the scruff and often wins them.

Good to see John back - much as Rico looks good and was great on Wednesday I felt he was too defensive today when we needed him to create space with early passes.

Only thing that needs to change is we need more urgency passing out - they were really happy to see Ake and Dias have time on the ball. Playing so slowly negates any space for Erling and Julien to work with. Oh and we need more from Nunes who on the two occasions he turned and ran at them he looked better - just do it more!

Anyway congrats to Arsenal for winning the PL, CL and FA Cup already!!!
100% this, keep in touch until Christmas, then light the blue touch paper and take off!

Problem is we really need someone who can be competent if rodri is suspended injured or just plain knackered. Kev is a,different matter though. I think rodri Silva stones and dias are our most important players.
When I questioned why we signed a mid-twenties player that flopped at Wolves (Nunes) on the transfer forum this summer I was told by almost everyone that he is absolutely world class and that he would be an excellent cover for Rodri. Are you telling me this is not true?

When we beat them 4-1 at the Etihad last season, in the game which effectively sealed the title, this was our starting lineup:

Ederson
Walker Stones Dias Akanji
De Bruyne Rodri Gundogan
Bernardo Haaland Grealish

Today's lineup:

Ederson
Walker Dias Ake Gvardiol
Lewis Bernardo Kovacic
Alvarez Haaland Foden

Dias not on his preferred side, Bernardo completely out of position. Akanji and Grealish benched. Rodri, De Bruyne, Stones unavailable (to start). Gundogan gone.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.