Arsenal (H) | PL | Post-match Thread

My only real criticism of Pep from the match is that he should not have left Dias as functionally our playmaker for 30 minutes. Stones would have been a better fit in that role with Dias playing just inside the box to provide screens and layoffs. Dias is not decisive enough on the ball (that has never been his gift, nor is he a good shooter or passer), so that continued to hamstring our build up as the game went on.

Otherwise, Pep did what he could against some truly disgraceful tactics employed by his former number two.

It really is a wonder Arteta was with us as long as he was given how much of a **** it turns out he is.

I can’t fault the players’ effort today. Still, Pep and his staff’s team selection and in-game adjustments were... not good.

Starting Walker when he’s been a genuine liability since last year and somehow even more shambolic in the games he’s played thus far this season is inexcusable for me. Lewis has defended against better and quicker wingers all season while being ten times the player as Walker on the ball. Even then, admit the mistake and bring on Lewis at halftime. Especially when you know they’re going to put all ten behind the ball. To that point, why not also bring on goal-scorers/players who are better on the ball? Foden should have come on far sooner, and players like McAtee and Nunes with strong shots should have been considered as well. Why Gundo and Bernardo stayed on is beyond me. We had Kovacic, Akanji, Walker and Dias all around the penalty box until the 70th minute. Why would that worry Arsenal? Just go for it, Pep. Nonetheless, happy to grab a point from that, obviously.

Also, did we prepare for their corner-kick routines? Surely, the plan to counter them wasn’t just to allow three players to surround Ederson unimpeded. However, I do think the FA has to crack down on these things.

The biggest concern is obviously Rodri. That did not look good, and if he’s out long-term, it would be a hammer blow to the season.
There was a warning the minute before they went ahead. We adjusted by putting Walker on Gabriel, which was the right thing to do (Walker's uselessness is another matter) but we did nothing about the blocking.

VAR did nothing about that, and the referee didn't either. (He must have seen at least one of them). So this MUST be a legitimate tactic this season. Fine, let's see all teams turn this to their own advantage for the rest of the season, with goalkeeper obstruction becoming something worked on in training.

If it's ok for two players to deliberately block the goalkeeper's ability to cover half his goal, then it's ok for three or four people to stand in his way. The season will be very interesting as we see this being developed, and I hope Arsenal are the ones to be caught out by it the most. Along with United of course.

Anyone else see the supporter outside the East Stand, got punched, hit his head in the road, eyes vacant, unconscious and then blood pouring from his skull, looked really bad.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.