Arsenal (H) - Post Game Thread

Get John Stones back and we'll be okay. There were glimpses of KDB getting back to some form, amazingly but not surprisingly it was in the second half when he should've been knackered. But thats Kev for you, he's nothing less than 100% effort.

One thing you cant moan at is the players efforts. They left everything out there and only one team was going for the win.

Last edited:
the elephant in the room is KDB, for me he needs to be coming off the bench, he has lost the ability to get away from players, mobility is everything at this level and against the very best for me KDB is off the pace, be it his injuries, his age or form, we need Phil as the main man in the middle, build everything around Foden
But Kev thrives on momentum. We all know he needs games to get going. Besides he won't be happy with that. He has enough credit in the bank to be allowed to get back to form. I agree though Phil needs to be playing in the middle, he's not a winger.

Arsenal played like some relegation threatened team. I was genuinely surprised and disappointed as I had expected a game where both teams went for the jugular. As such the game was a massive anti climax and a poor advert for a game between the best team in the world and a close challenger. There was stuff to admire. Both defences. I thought our back 5 was excellent. The press from both teams and an obvious world class performance from Rodri in particular. The tactical chess game was also interesting and sophisticated. However, there was little of interest in offence. Neither team created clear openings and sadly our star men were either off it or cancelled out by the opposition. Very little to get you off your seat (where are you Leroy). Although I shouldn’t say that as surrounded by day trippers as we are , the chips, hot dogs and any instance where Erling is within mobile phone range certainly get them off their feet with remarkable consistency.

Watching the pre game highlights of past matches vs Arsenal was enlightening. The speed of execution in particular notably different. we are struggling to replace what we have lost. Doku is not Mahrez, never mind Palmer. Nunes is yet to contribute. I like Kovacik and Gvardiol a lot but Kova isn’t and wouldn’t claim to be a Gundo replacement and Josko was not bought for his quality of assists from out on the left wing (albeit he was bloody good at everything else yesterday). Nearly 2 seasons in we still haven’t found a way to truly integrate Haaland and have him contribute consistently against the best teams. Meanwhile Kev, Jack, Bernie and to less extent Phil blow hot and cold re consistency and changing games.
Both the dippers and Arse bought better last close season and they have strengthened and we have fallen back. It’s a challenge for Pep . Does he stick with the current direction and hope some of the signings come good or really try and reinvent us for next season.
One thing I would do is to scrap players voting for captain. Walker is unfit to hold the position and Kevin is not good no matter how you look at it. Rodri should get the gig. he is head and shoulders above everyone.

Bit of a brain dump but at least it’s off my chest. Going to watch the game again and see if it’s any more enjoyable a second time around.

Curious what Pep wants for next season.

Buy real fullbacks and continue this 4231 with them overlapping?

He seems to do this to get the most out of Kovacic and Rodri partnership currently. I also think the wingers probably like coming into the half spaces as well for more freedom.

Or go back to last seasons success of Stones into midfield?

With us hardly ever doing this bc Stones is made of Glass.

But Gvardiol is probably our most competent on the ball defender that if he can train to live in a 360 vision environment, he would be class like Stones.

Personally, I dont think im a fan of the fullbacks high and wide approach as they are just their to hold the width, and dont actually offer a threat.

Atleast when we have wingers do it they can still link with the midfielder to form attacking patterns.

The 4231 also only offers 4 true attacking players.

And if Stones isnt fit, I dont see why right now Rodri cant start there and push up next to Kovacic in the interim.

Thats my thoughts on the 2 options, we have control with 4231 but the width is kind of "fake", teams dont fear the CBs in those spots, less attacking players, and its not hard to go back to last seasons approach even if Stones is injured.

the elephant in the room is KDB, for me he needs to be coming off the bench, he has lost the ability to get away from players, mobility is everything at this level and against the very best for me KDB is off the pace, be it his injuries, his age or form, we need Phil as the main man in the middle, build everything around Foden
It’s a re run of when pep ran Aguero into the ground irrespective of his injury and age . Pep is a re incarnation of Captain Quint from Jaws.

Curious what Pep wants for next season.

Buy real fullbacks and continue this 4231 with them overlapping?

He seems to do this to get the most out of Kovacic and Rodri partnership currently. I also think the wingers probably like coming into the half spaces as well for more freedom.

Or go back to last seasons success of Stones into midfield?

With us hardly ever doing this bc Stones is made of Glass.

But Gvardiol is probably our most competent on the ball defender that if he can train to live in a 360 vision environment, he would be class like Stones.

Personally, I dont think im a fan of the fullbacks high and wide approach as they are just their to hold the width, and dont actually offer a threat.

Atleast when we have wingers do it they can still link with the midfielder to form attacking patterns.

The 4231 also only offers 4 true attacking players.

And if Stones isnt fit, I dont see why right now Rodri cant start there and push up next to Kovacic in the interim.

Thats my thoughts on the 2 options, we have control with 4231 but the width is kind of "fake", teams dont fear the CBs in those spots, less attacking players, and its not hard to go back to last seasons approach even if Stones is injured.
Good points.

I think anytime Stones has been fit he has been playing that midfield role, Unfortunately he can't stay fit and he's the one really need to play this system we play right now.

Over the years we had the likes of Zinchenko, Delph, Cancelo and Mendy all at left back with Mendy being the only natural left back out of the names mentioned. The problem we had is that all of them really struggle to do the defensive duties especially in Europe which that was our main downfall and we were constantly prone to getting counter attacked.

We moved on from that and went with a left footed centre back at left back which worked a treat, Ake is so good winning duels both in the Premier League and Champions League last season which meant we didn't need full backs high and wide because we had enough creativity, attacking midfielders and goals in midfield and wide areas to blow teams away and also stop the opposition counter attacking with this set up.

This season we have basically taken the same approach but with alot of goals and creativity taken out of the team with Gundogan and Mahrez gone and realistically we have downgraded in both departments in the transfer market. Also KDB being out for months along with Stones have been a massive problem for us and the system we play.

You're right about Gvardiol, We've a seriously good player on our hands, Personally I'd love to see him at centre back, It's a different ball game playing at left back as we can see him playing passes that's sometimes not even on to a central player which would be a lot easier for him doing it at a centre back position.

There were times yesterday, particularly in the first half, where the Arsenal back four were pushed up as high as the half way line with Haaland for company.
In this situation I don’t understand why, occasionally, we don’t look to fire one over the top for Erling to chase. I’m not suggesting we change our philosophy to route one but, given that Erling built his reputation at Dortmund on these types of goals, it would give the opposition something extra to think about. Who knows, given his pace, strength and physicality, Erling may bang a few in as well. I just think that our tactic of playing out from the back is easier for the opposition to deal with if we don’t mix it up.
We do that when eddie is playing between the sticks . Any city fan should know pros and cons of our two goalies .Im sure pep and his team know a thing or two about mixing stuffs , you know like cabinet full of hardwares . Also pep team should have a hard drive full of haalands strengths and weaknesses .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.