Arsenal (H) | Post-Match Thread

The point is not a comparison of Bernardo and KDB's individual attributes. As a unit or collective imo we are more solid with Bernardo. KDB is a freer spirit and when he plays we lose some of the solidity in return for the fear factor and chance creation of KDB you refer to. Maybe "better" is not the best word but I agree with those who mention there is a noticeable difference.

Good post you get it, the question is how do we play with gundog and silva as number 8’s as that is by far the best balanced midfield and get KDB Foden Grealish Mahrez etc into the line up.

Bernie is nowhere near KDBs level and until recently has been way below par for some reason. KDB is the heartbeat of the team and is the driver of the team. I suspect you are referencing KDB when he was struggling. His numbers tell the story and he is currently back to back PFA Player of the year.
Players like Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar are also great players who win awards, that does not mean they are great team players but they can still be the difference between a teams success or failure.

Good post you get it, the question is how do we play with gundog and silva as number 8’s as that is by far the best balanced midfield and get KDB Foden Grealish Mahrez etc into the line up.
I’d rotate KDB out of the top games and bring him on if the onus is on us to create rather than ball retention.

Last edited:
Players like Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar are also great players who win awards, that does not mean they are great team players but they can still be the difference between a teams success or failure.

Some fans when seeing pirlo for instance being great with 2 runners would think arghh if we could play 3 pirlo’s we would be even better. They lack basic understanding of football.

Sadly I don't have Pep's genius. I did think KDB as a roving striker/false 9 worked well last season but it would mean rotating those 4 with Sterling, Jesus and Torres. At least we clearly have options for a plan A,B or C when all are available.

Might be one of the worst performances I've seen from an opposition team in a while, was like watching us play against a sunday league game at times.

Played pretty meh and we were 3-0 up at half time.

Lovely couple of games to have before the international break to get the goals going.

A better team with Bernardo, a more dangerous side with Kevin.

Thank god we have both of them.
I understand the conundrum.
I think the speed and work rate increased tremendously with the team selection of the last two games. However I’m still not convinced that it’ll work against the likes of a Chelsea defence or any decent 10 men behind the ball.
Look at the aberration of the Spurs match where, in fairness, we had a different starting eleven.
But when Kev came on and was pushed up around the box things alla sudden started happening. We could have pulled a result out of that if he was on earlier.

Truth is, in my opinion, for much of last year Kev was not the problem. No disrespect to Mahrez who was great last season and is looking hungry again, but him on the right and Sterling on the left really slows down our pace. Both kept coming inside and recycling.
Predictable and with no target man it made breaking good teams down more difficult.

Early days and we’ve played two woeful teams, but look at the speed of delivery with Jesus on the right and Jack on the left.
The work rate of Bernardo and Jesus together with the movement of Torres and Gundogan is like watching us at our best again, but imagine Kev picking out first time balls to either side as well. The options are crazy.
We need cool heads to place the tap ins in the corners. Personally Sterling is the one I’d be dropping at the moment. It’s a tough one too but I would rather Jesus on the right than Mahrez. Maybe Mahrez is a good option through the middle.
Pep is right to be happy with the squad he has. I don’t envy him the task of picking a team week in week out though. That’s why hey paid the big bucks.
Until Kev is fully fit I doubt he could do the graft Bernardo does but fully fit he can and nobody opens a defence like him.
Options all over the place. As long as half a dozen of our team are scoring over 10 goals this season we might just get away without a 30 goal a season striker.

Today was a joy, sadly I wasn't there because I have Covid, so watched it at home, where the Spanish TV commentators likened Ederson's 2nd half performance to that of a pensioner passing his time watching a building site.

A few observations.

Stones ain't getting back in the team at the moment, Laporte and Dias look made for each other. Stones and Ake's time will come though and its a comfort knowing we have 4 quality CBs

Gundog was simply magnificent, he is a world class midfielder who as he has gotten older reminds me more and more of Busquets.

Torres, do we really need to spend half a billion on a striker when we have this kid, the lad is growing in confidence and his finishing is top class. He will get better as well. The lad could go down as one of our best ever buys.

Bernardo, it was so good to see him in the 8 role, his energy and ability on the ball is exceptional, I always thought he was the true heir to David, today he reminded me of a young David.

Rodri, one of his best games for us so far, he snuffed out danger, used the ball well and scored a delightful goal. He is growing into the team and whilst he may not have Ferna's drive , he is clever and his positioning is superb.

Zinchenko, i love the lad, he know has a chance to make the LB position his own and he is good enough, he is clever, he passes the ball well and he has the chance to become a Zabba like figure with the fans.

Jack, he probably cannot believe he is playing in this team, he looked timid, a little overawed even, but once he got the assist for Jesus he really opened his bag of tricks and for older Blues you may recall Rodney, he reminds me of Rodney, he can win games on his own he is that good. His interplay was superb , although it is easy when Gundo is always available to pass too and keep the ball moving.

It is easy to say Arsenal were poor and they were, i felt a bit for Arteta, i hope he comes back to City and learns some more from Pep, He will be a good manager one day, not with Arsenal though as they have players who do not look bothered. We beat what was in front us of though and if it wasn't for Leno who had a good game it could easily have been double figures.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.