Arsenal (H) | Post Match Thread

It was BT. The whole match is already up. Watched the first half with breakfast and will do the same for the second with lunch. (God bless WFH)
Ah ok, just realised the CityTV+ whatever it’s called show full replays, time to give subscription a go

Yep WFH for me too today!

I'm trying to think of a better performance from a City team. Maybe Arsenal were bad, I need to rewatch it with less alcohol and adrenaline in my blood, but we were absolutely stunning last night. Kev and Haaland playing like they were attached by string, Gundo setting the game's rhythm like a pacemaker that was fine tuned by Mozart himself, Bernie and Grealish fucking everywhere with the ball glued to their feet, Stones and Rodri gliding through the game like chess players who knew Arsenal's next moves before them, Dias and Akanji and Walker patrolling their own half like the scariest school bullies you've ever seen, Ederson kicking long, landing the ball on a penny, and then giving the Arsenal fans shit. Just unreal. What a
Quite simply and without hyperbole, last night was the greatest City team performance I've ever seen since first going to Maine Road In 1959. I was proud to be in the stadium to witness it, from the banners display, to the game itself and to the cheering of the players around the pitch at the end of the game.

Every player did his bit to the best of his (considerable) ability and dominated Arsenal from minute one all throughout the game until the final whistle. Not one player should score less than 9/10 in any media review of the game and City's performance.

Prior to last night, had you asked my opinion on the best performance I'd ever seen by a City team, I would have answered either:

(a) the April 1967 FA Cup quarter-final at Leeds which we lost (unfairly) 1-0 but which was Mercer & Allison going on the attack against the most feared side in the land, having spent all season back in the top flight trying to ensure survival by deploying Tony Book as sweeper in a very defensive set up; coming back on the Finglands coach that evening, we all wondered if we might have a team that could start to prosper if we went on the attack more often!

(b) six months later, the December 1967 'Ballet on Ice' when we thrashed high-flying Spurs 4-1 to announce that, in actual fact, Mercer & Allison now had a team not just capable of pushing the top clubs but actually getting the better of them

But last night was complete poetry in motion, whether defensively or in attack. The greatest team performance I've ever seen from City in over 60 years (actually, well over!)

And to all of you Young Johnnies and Johnesses who were lucky enough to be there last night and who are also fed up with Old Gits like me (!!) banging on about the great players and games of the past, well let me tell you to enjoy these times with our club.. and also the fact that, finally, you've got 'City 4 Arsenal 1, 2023' with which to shut us up when we start boring on about the good old times with our club!

Last edited:
I honestly cant believe i was worried about Akanji at lb, i think that is probably his best performance for City? Dare i say, i prefer him there!
Tactically we were amazing, but i also really don't understand what Arteta was trying to do? The amount of space in behind their back 4 was insane, allowing Haaland to play 1v1 against their cb's was just madness. What was interesting to me last night was actually how little Grealish and Bernardo actually touched the ball, that was on purpose. The retained width but were used to pull Arsenal open and that allowed space for KDB to exploit. Honestly insane masterclass from Pep.
Was saying this to my young lad all night when we weren’t seeing Grealish overlapping supporting the attack through the middle.

I kept saying, Jack is doing what he’s being instructed to do, otherwise Pep would be ripping into him.
Both their wings were totally taken out of the game.
Jack and Bernie were on defensive duties last night.
This gave us the platform through the centre.

Brilliant.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.