Arsenal (H) - Sun 22nd Sept, 16:30 | PL | Pre-Match Thread

Match Result Prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
'Park the bus wankers' who scored 91 goals in the PL last season.

I'm not sure why you think Arsenal should have given up their main strategic advantage against City (the defence, and Haaland being Saliba's little bunny in particular) and instead play into City's hands.

I'd have liked for us to have gone for it and tried to win but it wasn't happening that day, we couldn't get through the City lines. Going more attacking would have played into City's hands. Anyone can see this surely

In the rest of our games we scored a bunch of goals and had the same goal difference as City. We won against all the top 3 teams. We just shat the bed at home to Villa. It happens.

P.S. are Real Madrid 'park the bus wankers' as well? They adopted similar tactics at the Etihad because decent teams figure out where they can capitalise on weaknesses of opponents and adapt their game accordingly.
I don't think you're 'Park the bus wankers' Bridgy old boy. Just wankers would suffice:)

So drawing a game means you're not Invincible?

Does anyone want to tell Arsenal that?

Real Madrid lost a few games on the way to winning the champions league last season. City on the other hand didn’t lose a single game in the competition during normal time. A draw against a team that made the final in 2023 at this stage is far from terminal.

Arsenal only parked the bus against us in 23/24 in response to us destroying them in 22/23 - they were always gonna come and be more cautious.

Of the four goals we scored that night in 2023, all the ones from open play came from Arsenal getting caught up the pitch either with or without the ball. And two of them came from either De Bruyne or Haaland running about 40 yards into space behind the defence without so much as a tackle coming in. There were numerous other chances Haaland could have put in as well that came from Arsenal's midfield being completely wiped out of the game.

Arteta was always going to set up cautiously so that didn't happen again. It ultimately meant they lost the title in 2024, and Rodri was right when he said them coming to avoid defeat sent a message to City that we were gonna be mentally stronger anyway. But who knows, maybe they'll find a balance between their styles this time and nick a 1-0 win. Arsenal are getting stronger each year that passes under Arteta - dismiss them at your peril imo.

Real Madrid lost a few games on the way to winning the champions league last season. City on the other hand didn’t lose a single game in the competition during normal time. A draw against a team that made the final in 2023 at this stage is far from terminal.
I honestly think Inter are one of the best teams in it, but obviously if we don't win every single game we play then it constitutes a huge failure of epic proportions

Without Odegaard we won't have the creativity to create lots of chances. Arteta could play Nwaneri who some say has a higher ceiling than Odegaard but he's only 17 and this isn't a game Arteta would risk him in. Arsenal's chances would be at set pieces or maybe a defensive lapse.

Likewise this won't be a hammering - if City score first Pep will have City keep possession rather than go all out for a killer 2nd. I have a hunch this will end up 1-0 City.

City absolutely don't need Arsenal to score first for obvious reasons.

OliVAR is the ref - Pep might want to be careful about playing Kovacic in case OliVAR tries to even it up from last season's match at the Emirates.

I don't think either side have been bang at it so far this season but I'm sure tomorrow will be an intense game even if it might not touch the highs of if this match was played after Xmas.

I'm not sure why you think Arsenal should have given up their main strategic advantage against City (the defence, and Haaland being Saliba's little bunny in particular) and instead play into City's hands.

I'd have liked for us to have gone for it and tried to win but it wasn't happening that day, we couldn't get through the City lines. Going more attacking would have played into City's hands. Anyone can see this surely

In the rest of our games we scored a bunch of goals and had the same goal difference as City. We won against all the top 3 teams. We just shat the bed at home to Villa. It happens.

P.S. are Real Madrid 'park the bus wankers' as well? They adopted similar tactics at the Etihad because decent teams figure out where they can capitalise on weaknesses of opponents and adapt their game accordingly.
Haaland being Saliba’s bunny? Hmmmm that could come back to bite you mate. Anyway good luck tomorrow - you might beat your own record of winning the league in February….

That's exactly what they did. More so than Arsenal. Parked the bus and looked for a long pass to Vinicius/Rodrygo, hoping for some moment of magic. I respect the likes of Inter more for trying to do something against us at the Etihad a few days ago, even without a few starting players. Even Brentford did more against us than Real Madrid.

It would be Grealish or Doku, not both. But I like this idea personally. I think Grealish can thrive in the Gundogan/Kovacic role next to Rodri.

This is what I expect: Players who got major minutes will likely not start except for defenders and Rodri.

Ederson
Walker Akanji Dias Gvardiol
Rodri Gundogan
Savinho Foden Doku
Halaand

Walker v Lewis is a toss up. The rest I am somewhat more confident in their likely start. The rule of if you got major minutes midweek generally don't apply to defenders and especially to young players. So Lewis could very well start.

But I think Pep might lean Walker if it's close in practice.

Halaand and Rodri will start in spite of getting major minutes midweek. Foden, Doku, Savinho should all start easily. All fresh with less than 50 minutes midweek. One of Gundogan/Kovacic will start next to Rodri. I think Gundo most likely. Too much of a Pep brain gives him the edge over a more active Kovacic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.