Arsenal (H) - Wed 26th April, 20:00 | Pre-Match Thread

Match Result Prediction

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it was unsuccessful, it was always a stop gap to get Walker and Stones fit and in form, Rico's time will come but we are in the pressure cooker now. Experience shows at this stage of the season barring injury.

Walker was fit when Rico was getting starts in January. The truth is we were poor with Rico vs Spurs, Arsenal (FA Cup) and Spurs away (where he played LB). Upturn in form came only after Rico was benched.

Speaks volumes Pep went with Gomez vs SU.

Pep is not afraid of making experiments, not all are successful. Rico is a top talent, but not ready yet.

As much as I agree a draw would be ok for the title race, a win wouldn't only crash arses hopes but looking ahead to Real - I know it's forbidden - it would give us some wriggle room for the PL matches around the 2 CL semis. We defo will need some rotation then (eg Kev, Rodri, Stones, Aké).

Any win tomorrow night would be huge.

Wild prediction that I'll probably regret throwing out there but when we played Palace at home and we went 2 down, Pep adjusted the setup and the left back in the three was Foden. It didn't get a lot of attention because it's not been repeated but I remember Dias pulling him round like he was on a piece of string and him being in the right spot to cross for Haaland's 2nd or 3rd (the header).

Laporte would be a more conservative or conventional choice but given Saka's pace I wouldn't be surprised to see Foden in that slot tomorrow.

Given the relative form of the two sides, their first choice centre back being out and the home crowd for a night game I'd back City for the win but we have to be respectful: they're still on for a 90 point season which means they're an exceptional team. We need everyone to turn up and give a minimum 8/10 like they did at The Emirates or against Bayern.

Pace is a bit overrated. Positional sense and ability to read the game are more important than pace. Otherwise, Dias and Rodri wouldn't be good, let alone world-class. Bernardo doesn't have Foden's pace but would be a better LB.

You know those anti-climactic performances we always have away vs Spuds, we never get going. Thats how Arsenal play at the Etihad, whether they come in red-hot form or dissarray they wont get out of 2nd gear.

Bayern are the best team to come to the Etihad since Pool in 19, truth be told Erling and Gundo missed big chances, the game should have been over before in the 1st half. If we did that to Bayern, Arsenal dont have a chance, if Arteta is smart he'll play a double-pivot to protect those two bozos in CB and play for a draw, wont work though, they're getting battered.

As much as I agree a draw would be ok for the title race, a win wouldn't only crash arses hopes but looking ahead to Real - I know it's forbidden - it would give us some wriggle room for the PL matches around the 2 CL semis. We defo will need some rotation then (eg Kev, Rodri, Stones, Aké).

Any win tomorrow night would be huge.

Yes, I doubt we are going to win all PL games. We are playing every 3-4 days now! It's impossible to start the same 11-14 players every 3 days. Otherwise, we'll suffer injuries and fatigue.

They looked completely shot against Southampton, the amount of simple line breaking passes that had Southampton in on goal was madness. I know they've made a big deal about Saliba being out and it's true because he really is a good player. We see how different City were once Ruben was back in there, maybe Saliba acts as the same confidence machine for Arsenal. There was so much space to exploit for Southampton, i'm sure Arsenal will be working over time on that in training but it's not a good sign for them. On the flipside i thought Martinelli looked constantly dangerous for them and he's had a bit of a dip recently.
I think it would be dangerous for Arsenal to change their style of play, i can't see Arteta trying to change that because if they sit back it won't be good for them. But we're at home, i can't see us playing the same way we did at theirs and completely handing over possession to them.

My thoughts on Arsenal game:-

Lineup:

Ederson
Stones Akanji Dias Laporte
Rodri Gundogan
Bernardo KDB Grealish
Haaland

Ake is injured so Laporte LB but they've got Saka who can kill players in 1v1's. I think Laporte can still do a decent job vs Saka tbh. Plus , Laporte is better on the ball than Ake.

Bernardo RW and isolate him with Zinchenko whom he can kill in 1v1's.

In the last encounter we were technically inconsistent in the 1st half but brilliant in the 2nd. Saliba and Xhaka (doubtful) are out so I think we'll comfortably control the game and win it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.