Arsenal - Post match thread

It wasn't me or others being very insightful by spotting the warning signs so early, for me personally it was absolutely obvious and irrespective of how I was shouted down, I felt the need to say so because I didn't want my team to regress.

Look back at our early matches under Pellegrini and you will see the same character traits as we have now. The only difference is the fear factor left over from the Mancini era was still there as our opposition massed their ranks on their 18 yard box and dared not attack us.

But one by one they started to do just that and many were surprised how defensively vulnerable we'd become. By the beginning of the 2014 season, they were all at it and we had no answers as we had lost Mancini's defensive discipline and replaced it with (as one poster put it) 'Fly by the seat of your pants style football' which he personally loved.

It didn't work for Keegan in the top flight, so what made Pellegrini think it would continue to work in the Premier League after most teams had figured us out. Time has told, but the warning signs have always been there.

Agree with this post 100%. Great read.

Statistically and in black and white you are correct - but I assure you the warning signs were there.
I was more than a bit concerned about Peller right from the start. A game at Cardiff I think highlighted a lot of problems which if truth be known were never fully addressed. However, it is hard to argue that the guys first season in charge was not a success.

I was more than a bit concerned about Peller right from the start. A game at Cardiff I think highlighted a lot of problems which if truth be known were never fully addressed. However, it is hard to argue that the guys first season in charge was not a success.
Stoke away for me.
But yeah, with a cup and a league title .........

Yet for all that, a complete brain fart moment between Clichy and Hart followed by Mangala losing Giroud and Fernandinho just allowing Sanchez to run away from him cost us a much deserved victory in a game we dominated.

That hardly smacks of a completely wrong formation or tactical approach. The game I watched didn't have me thinking why is he playing these players in this way.

Such fine lines and had a couple of players done what they did for the majority, their jobs correctly we would have won the game.

Look im happy he is going, his time is up and I cant wait for Pep but the insistence that anything and everything that goes wrong on the pitch is Pellegrini's fault is both wrong and convenient and allows players to get away scot free form their responsibilities as well.

Should he be continually picking certain players who have made mistakes and played poorly? No he shouldn't and for that, he has let himself down and deserves criticism.
I thought the system worked well up until we went 2-1 up. Very quickly Arsenal took control and there were a number of warnings which I feel the manager should have reacted to and made a change. But yesterday was probably one of our best home displays in terms of performance this season. Pity that the result may have been everything.

Yet for all that, a complete brain fart moment between Clichy and Hart followed by Mangala losing Giroud and Fernandinho just allowing Sanchez to run away from him cost us a much deserved victory in a game we dominated.

That hardly smacks of a completely wrong formation or tactical approach. The game I watched didn't have me thinking why is he playing these players in this way.

Such fine lines and had a couple of players done what they did for the majority, their jobs correctly we would have won the game.

Look im happy he is going, his time is up and I cant wait for Pep but the insistence that anything and everything that goes wrong on the pitch is Pellegrini's fault is both wrong and convenient and allows players to get away scot free form their responsibilities as well.

Should he be continually picking certain players who have made mistakes and played poorly? No he shouldn't and for that, he has let himself down and deserves criticism.
I'm just talking about a tiny minority on here who seem to want a medal for looking into their crystal balls and declaring that Pellegrini was a fraud and an imposter before a ball had been kicked - or more accurately after he'd been in charge for one match.

Yeah I know some have strange views...

But I told you before, although Mancini was a messiah to many... We understood why he had to go.

We were fed a narrative by some on here (yourself included) regarding Manuel and I warmed to him. I liked him and was glad he was the manager and not that eye gouging twat. But he had to go, as Pep was available. I'm just responding to your comment about 'Bobbys boys'...

In short, that presentation etc should have been right before the game; and the youth parade should have been at HT.

We haven't missed out on top 4 because of yesterday. I actually didn't mind our play and set up. My main grip would be after about an hour I turned to my cousin and called what sub needed to be made. Why did the corpse then wait until we have conceded which was coming before he makes the same sub I called before in enough time to save the game. If I can call it how on earth can a man paid millions not realise it. Mind boggling.
Could you pick me the numbers for tomorrow's euromillions draw please?
Thanks in advance.

Agree with this post 100%. Great read.
What makes it all the more galling is that one poster insinuated today that many of us have been waiting 3 years for this to happen just to prove ourselves right about Pellegrini!

I have NEVER wanted City to lose under Pellegrini to prove any fuckin point! What has taken place was a disaster waiting to happen and I take no pleasure in City possibly being relegated from the Champions League next season and finishing probably 15 points behind Leicester City in the league because of Pellegrini's lack of tactical acumen.

You didn't need a crystal ball to be able to see what was coming, just a rudimentary knowledge of football. Look back at the matches from Pellegrini's first season and it will tell you all you need to know as to why we are where we are now.

Last edited:
To cheer us all up.

I texted a die hard red mate today and said fucking hell, how is it come to this pellers is utter shite, it's in your hands now mate.

His reply

I wouldn't worry we are wank......

I
What makes it all the more galling is that one poster insinuated today that many of us have been waiting 3 years for this to happen just to prove ourselves right about Pellegrini!

I have NEVER wanted City to lose under Pellegrini to prove any fuckin point! What has taken place was a disaster waiting to happen and I take no pleasure in City possibly being relegated from the Champions League next season and finishing probably 15 points behind Leicester City in the league because of Pellegrini's lack of tactical acumen.

You didn't need a crystal ball to be able to see what was coming, just a rudimentary knowledge of football. Look back at the matches from Pellegrini's first season and it will tell you all you need to know as to why we are where we are now.
I think I would probably hesitate before I accused everyone in the club leadership of lacking a rudimentary knowledge of football. It can be very tempting to believe that everything is obvious, but it's not that simple. Plenty of experts have failed to deliver once they've been put in charge - look at Neville at Valencia.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.