Arsenal thread 2011/12

Re: How to solve a problem like Arsenal.

Wenger needs to buy quality but won't. All down to stubborness IMO.

Just been with my Arsenal mate and he raised a great theory. Wenger won the title with the old guard in '98, he won it with the 'invincibles' in '04 who were a mix between flair and physicality, and now he's so stubborn that he wanted to win the league with a team full of small players with great flair, just to prove that it can be done. He's hoping that Wenger will spend and compromise, and get a few more physical players in.

I think a big problem they have is you can't really buy in 'spine'. I don't just mean bottle, Fabregas clearly isn't a leader, it's the fact that you really have to build onto spine, not just thrust it in at the end. It should come first. Even if you went and threw Hart, Kompany and De Jong into their side tomorrow, it wouldn't be much different, because none of the existing players would acknowledge them as the leaders straight away, even though collectively they have more leadership in them than the entire 25 man Arsenal squad.

If they'd build onto players like Hart, Kompany and De Jong however, like say, when this little youth project started 6 years ago, they'd almost certainly putting in genuine title challenges. Not this wishy washy try till January then give up rubbish they've been coming up with for so long.

adrianr said:
I think a big problem they have is you can't really buy in 'spine'. I don't just mean bottle, Fabregas clearly isn't a leader, it's the fact that you really have to build onto spine, not just thrust it in at the end.

The transition wasn't orderly. Turfing out the old without ensuring the young gunners are made of the right leadership stuff.
Yes Fab, RVP et al (after so many years as Gunners) are not the right stuff leaders are make of. Hence the missing link or spine.

-- Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:59 am --

To wit can you see Fab or RVP in another club or national team being given the armband?
In contrast can you see Vieira or Thierry?

Solihull Samba Boys said:
Just been with my Arsenal mate and he raised a great theory. Wenger won the title with the old guard in '98, he won it with the 'invincibles' in '04 who were a mix between flair and physicality, and now he's so stubborn that he wanted to win the league with a team full of small players with great flair, just to prove that it can be done. He's hoping that Wenger will spend and compromise, and get a few more physical players in.

It's a disgrace and absolutely pathetic that he's putting his ego above the club and its fans.

I can only see it getting worse for them to be honest. Short of Wenger completely backtracking on his stubborn philosophy I think the chances of Fabregas departing have increased substantially and if you think they're weak for a club of their stature now, wait till he goes. It is a real possibility that you'll end up taking 3rd from them if you build some momentum as they're leaking points like a sieve. For them to not only fall out of the title race but concede 2nd place to us after coming in from 5th is nothing short of atrocious. That's only one of their many failings this season, reflecting the 5 before that.

I would not be shocked in the slightest to see them lose their status as a top 4 club next season like Liverpool before them if some changes aren't made. Their talent will not stick around forever waiting for the 10 year plan to spring into action. They have limited careers and want some medals to show for it.

If they bought Samba (Blackburn) £7M, Steklenberg (Ajax) £8M, Van Bommel (AC Milan) £FREE, Drogba (Chelsea) £20M, Hazard (Lille) £20m, Coentaro (Benfica) £20M TOTAL = £75M

Sold Bendtner £10m, Vela £4m, Denilson £3m, Almunia £1m, Fabianski £3m, Rosicky £3m, Squillacci £2m, Arshavin £10m, Traore £2m, Eastmond £1m, Mannone £1m, Clichy £7m TOTAL = £47M

NET SPEND = £28M

Can you imagine how good they would be? It seems Wenger doesn't want any older players to be able to question him. But even Fabregas has started to now. With Arsenal it is not clear it's just Wenger who won't spend. Their board seems to enjoy charging top dollar from fans but shopping in the bargain basement. I read an article recently which said that Chelsea tried to eclipse Man U but the real casualty was Arsenal which is the truth. Since Abramovich arrived at Chelsea Arsenal have not won anything.

Since Wenger and Arsenal last won a Trophy in 2005, Man United have:

Dismantled a team
Rebuilt a team
Won 3 Premier League Titles
Won 3 League Cups
Won 3 Charity Shields
Won 1 Champions League
Won 1 FIFA Club World Cup
Dismantled another team
About to rebuild another team

Says it all really. Does Wenger just think one day his team will wake up and win everything? Someone should tell him football ain't like that.

intheknow! said:
Says it all really. Does Wenger just think one day his team will wake up and win everything? Someone should tell him football ain't like that.
Nor does it work like you suggested above. If a squad overhaul's what they need, then their fans are going to be bitterly disappointed come the summer.

I don't even dislike Arsenal anymore; I'm actually depressed by them. It's so obvious how they're going to finish every season the same way, so obvious to every single person but Wenger. It's less a case of schadenfreude nowadays, and more just...pity.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.