Arsenal thread 2011/12

Re: How to solve a problem like Arsenal.

MCFC BOB said:
They miss the thing that every Arsenal fan fails to realise.

If you don't spend money, then you don't win trophies on a consistent basis. It really is that simple.

spending.jpg

Just found this. Mental.

Makes interesting reading actually, that table.

Shows again how well Moyes has done to get the best out of a limited squad, with limited resources. And I wouldn't have guessed that Newcastle would be 20th; though their squad overhaul last season would account for a lot of that. Not even sure if this table was after they sold Carroll, either.

Could've had a trophy if it wasn't for a bunch of sub top goalkeepers. It's very simple they just have to invest in such talents. And its pretty shocking how they've been on top till very recently in the league and have basically thrown that out of the window with non-result football.

Just heard Vermaelen's in their reserves squad for the game at OT tonight; with Fletcher in ours.

He's really what they needed this season; a tough tackling leader from the back, who is also good going forward. Quality player, and I hate seeing players injured for a long time, but if they'd had him fit all season...

Viva Rivaldo said:
Just heard Vermaelen's in their reserves squad for the game at OT tonight; with Fletcher in ours.

He's really what they needed this season; a tough tackling leader from the back, who is also good going forward. Quality player, and I hate seeing players injured for a long time, but if they'd had him fit all season...
I agree, but even though they are demonstrably weak in goal and at centre back, I think this is ultimately a symptom of the real problem. It's the psychology of the team that's at fault, which is down to coaching, tactics, training and so on, not individual players. Vermaelen would have helped them but they'd still have had the same fatal flaws.

In fact, give them Hart, Kompany and de Jong-ostensibly solving all of their big problem positions-and I still think they'd fall short. There's no pride in a clean sheet at Arsenal, an essential requirement of a good defence.

Wenger's insane really. The only way to solve it is to bring in a competent, respected assistant and empower him with the authority to instill some defensive discipline into the squad, as Wenger himself is psychologically incapable of doing so. Starting actually doing long hours of set piece training would be a start, just for the message it'd instill into the squad.

I think this'd be a good shout. Maybe not so much a regime change in terms of playing staff, but coaching staff would shake them up the right way? Pat Rice has been there longer than Wenger.

They should hire us as a committee to solve their problems. I'd do it for a tenner an hour.

Anyway, how do you think they'll fare this coming season? They need to sort the Cesc/Nasri situations out ASAP; which will definitely leave them lacking in midfield. Gervinho looks to be a good signing who'll create lots of chances, but they need more creativity through the middle imo.

MCFC BOB said:
Viva Rivaldo said:
MCFC BOB said:
They miss the thing that every Arsenal fan fails to realise.

If you don't spend money, then you don't win trophies on a consistent basis. It really is that simple.

spending.jpg

Just found this. Mental.
Proof if it ever existed.
And also proof that the rags will soon run out of steam as they've been one of the lowest net spenders since the Glazers took over.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.