Arsenal thread 2011/12

Re: Wenger : the fiasco ?

tweetstreet said:
judge him on what he's done/does not what he says!

He's delivered trophies and he's delivered a self sufficient club! What more do you want?

If it was the premiership of financial fair play and best players then arsenal would be streets ahead. If i had the money i could invest £1,000,000 in my local welsh premier side and win the title for the next 5 years but id rather see them use local talent or develop players for £50k and do it,

Honestly would any city fan rather some rich bloke bought success for you or would you rather a talented manager who brought success? £300M v £30M and the same result>

It's now becoming who's got the richest owner not whose got the best squad, manager, scouts, etc:

City and Chelsea slowly ruining the game. As much as I hate to say it Spurs are becoming hte future. And if titles continue to be bought i Will consider the premier league to b a title without Chelski and Man Sheikh City,

Earn success don't buy it

"300M or 30m?"...don't be silly chumps.

Transfer fees come and go. The wages are the key indicator and the greater expense. Arsenal have had the second or third highest wage bill for as long as I can remember.

And Arsenal's position as a member of the G18 has had nothing to do with boosting your income sources by around £30m a year I suppose.

I suspect if you were outside the money-creaming cartel you'd have a different perspective on things.

Arsene Wenger is one of the greatest manager's to grace the modern game. What he's done at Arsenal should be lauded and applauded. He'll rightly go down in history alongside the greats of the modern era of management...

It's depressing beyond all recognition that in a pathetic and contrived attempt to big up our own manager, we need to slight Mr Wenger...

He is indeed a great manager but despite his age and wisdom seems naive to me. If he had not been so stubborn about "his" way, Arsenal might have won plenty of trophies in the last five trophyless years. Loosening the purse strings a bit to add some real experience and grit to the side would have made a big difference. I think Arsenal have been one good goalkeeper, one great centre-back, and a Nigel De Jong away from greater success.

LoveCity said:
He is indeed a great manager but despite his age and wisdom seems naive to me. If he had not been so stubborn about "his" way, Arsenal might have won plenty of trophies in the last five trophyless years. Loosening the purse strings a bit to add some real experience and grit to the side would have made a big difference. I think Arsenal have been one good goalkeeper, one great centre-back, and a Nigel De Jong away from greater success.

We'll never really know just how loose the purse strings have been in the last five years. Certainly when you look at how little he's spent in that time, how profitable Arsenal are as a club, even after moving to the Emirates, then you have to respect the guy for keeping Arsenal up in the top 4...

The point about wages is just spin IMO. Champions league clubs will always have much higher wage bills than clubs who aren't in the CL....so although you can easily look at it in isolation and say "well, the wage bill at Arsenal suggest they are competing" - I'd say that's more a case of the realities of football/agents/players and knowing what a club can afford to play and what their wage structure is...

I do wholeheartedly agree though that he's stubborn maybe to a fault because he's been two or three top class players from winning the league for the these last five trophyless years...

I don't think the wages thing is 'spin'. It's clearly a much greater expense year on year, and is always cited as the key indicator of a team's performance (outside of the newspapers, that is).

Chick Counterfly said:
I don't think the wages thing is 'spin'. It's clearly a much greater expense year on year, and is always cited as the key indicator of a team's performance (outside of the newspapers, that is).

And Arsenal having the "2nd or 3rd highest wage bill" for as long as you can remember has nothing to do with them consistently playing champions league football?

Like I said....spin.

BillyShears said:
Chick Counterfly said:

And Arsenal having the "2nd or 3rd highest wage bill" for as long as you can remember has nothing to do with them consistently playing champions league football?

Like I said....spin.

Can't you see the irony in your own statement?

Qualifying for, and competing in the CL, means retaining good players, means paying good wages, full stop.

Saying 'wages don't count but transfer fees do' is just for the papers. Expenditure on footballers is everything.

The CL appearance bonuses don't come close to explaining the difference between Arsenal's wage bill and that of, say, Everton.

They get what they pay for.

Chick Counterfly said:
BillyShears said:

Like I said....spin.

Qualifying for, and competing in the CL, means retaining good players, means paying good wages, full stop.

Saying 'wages don't count but transfer fees do' is just for the papers. Expenditure on footballers is everything.

The CL appearance bonuses don't come close to explaining the difference between Arsenal's wage bill and that of, say, Everton.

Actually, no I can't see the irony in it.

When we sign a footballer we pay a City 'premium'. As do CL clubs. Nasri at Arsenal wages wise will be on more than double what say Ben Arfa is on....both players of similar standing in French football...ability wise would you say Nasri is double what Ben Arfa is? I wouldn't...

Anyway, I'm still embarrassed by anyone trying to criticize Wenger, and using it as a vehicle to praise Mancini...

I'm tired of sounding like I don't like our manager to be honest. Anything positive I post gets fucking roundly ignored whilst the slightest criticism is jumped on by the same people. That's not aimed at you CC - just a tired, drunk, and emotional reaction...

BillyShears said:
Chick Counterfly said:

Actually, no I can't see the irony in it.

When we sign a footballer we pay a City 'premium'. As do CL clubs. Nasri at Arsenal wages wise will be on more than double what say Ben Arfa is on....both players of similar standing in French football...ability wise would you say Nasri is double what Ben Arfa is? I wouldn't...

Anyway, I'm still embarrassed by anyone trying to criticize Wenger, and using it as a vehicle to praise Mancini...

I'm tired of sounding like I don't like our manager to be honest. Anything positive I post gets fucking roundly ignored whilst the slightest criticism is jumped on by the same people. That's not aimed at you CC - just a tired, drunk, and emotional reaction...

not as drunk as me :o)

I just think Wenger gets a bit of an easy press because our press is obsessed with net transfer spends; which are a tiny fraction of the overall spend on footballers (unless you're City)

Take Henry; if I remember right, in his final years, he was paid 140k p/w, plus huge, multi million pound, one-off 'loyalty' payments, which weren't in his original contract. Arsenal were spending more than twice as much on one player, compared to anyone outside the top four. This stuff adds up quickly; yet the sole focus in the media is the difference between their net transfer spend and that of the other top clubs; Wenger is lauded as a genius because of his frugality, and Benitez is a loser who wasted money, yet achieved equal results for five years until the last, on an very similar total spend.

It's just a riposte to a slightly unbalanced view of a very good manager.

Nowt to do with Manky Bob, who will get in my bad books very quickly unless he returns to his negative gameplan ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.