Arsenal Thread 2013/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
LoveCity said:
Ronuja said:
oldhamblue said:
How do Arse fans feel about Wenger earning £63 million in wages since his last trophy whilst continually moaning about clubs spending obscene amounts of money?

Worth every penny in my opinion. It's remained quite opaque just how strained Arsenal's finances became in the period when we were paying of the Emirates stadium, but I suspect that it was quite a huge blow, and keeping the club in the Champions League with a net-spend close to zero for the better part of a decade is close to miraculous, in my view. Deride the '4th place trophy' if you will, but I think achieving that seasons after season was absolutely essential to put the club in the position its in today: financially stable and prepared to compete at the highest level.

I would have thought the jobs Jurgen Klopp and Diego Simeone have done would have opened the eyes of Arsenal fans. Wenger is a good manager but his skills in the market seem to have declined and he has been quite naive tactically in some games for years now (especially against United).

Atletico Madrid make more from sales than they spend on players nearly every year and just won La Liga, with a Champions League final coming up.

I definitely agree that Wenger is not the best in the business in the transfer market. Ozil was a fantastic coup, and Cazorla was a marvelous acquisition for only around 16 million, he also managed to spot Koscielny when he was still a diamond in the rough in Ligue 2, and Sanogo looks an interesting prospect. However there have also been the Chamakhs, Squillacis', and most inexplicably Park Chu Young in the past few years. Arsenal fans are wont to woman about his performance in the transfer market because he buys so few players and seems to have a roughly 70-30 hit and miss rate if you see the examples above, although when the transfers flop, they do it hard. Park Chu Young is having difficulty getting game time on loan at Watford right now, although he was still selected for Korea. I've always said the best signing we could hope to make would be Athletico Madrid's scouts. The way they find new top strikers season after season is unbelievable.

The thing is with Whinger's "transfer net spend acomplishments" is it would be far more impressive if he hadn't achieved such a low spend by selling all his best players of the last 7 or so years to acquire slightly worse, or average players which has slowly seen their decline to 4th place only and 1 cup win in 9 years.

On one hand he's a "genius", in my opinion he is so for making everyone think that finishing 4th every year is a great achievement coming from winning titles and cups on a more regular basis. How they have lowered standards over the last decade.

They've actually released a special kit to celebrate winning the FA Cup and celebrate 20 years with Nike... Seriously, when did they become so small time? Also has to be stated, it's possibly the ugliest kit in the history of football
arsenal-shirt-20-years-tab.jpg

BigOscar said:
They've actually released a special kit to celebrate winning the FA Cup and celebrate 20 years with Nike... Seriously, when did they become so small time? Also has to be stated, it's possibly the ugliest kit in the history of football
It is bloody ugly. However; it does have a serious rival. Do a google image search for ''Jorge Campos jersey''. Talk about loud; that bloke shouldn't have been allowed in a built up area in the hours of darkness!

And, unlike that picture (which I have serious doubts about its authenticity!), those kits that Campos was wearing were genuine!

jimharri said:
BigOscar said:
It is bloody ugly. However; it does have a serious rival. Do a google image search for ''Jorge Campos jersey''. Talk about loud; that bloke shouldn't have been allowed in a built up area in the hours of darkness!

And, unlike that picture (which I have serious doubts about its authenticity!), those kits that Campos was wearing were genuine!
Campos designed his own kits iirc though and was a bloody nutter (used to play upfront as well as in goal), that's been designed with the intent to sell to people. I know Arsenal fans have more money than sense, but even still

BigOscar said:

Wow it's hard to figure out what's going on with that shirt. Even harder to figure out how anyone could have though that design would be a good idea. And considering that it's on the arsenal website you have to believe that it's legit. You could definitely interpret it as smalltime but it looks to me like just another way of making a little cash, they saw an opportunity to put out another kit which some fans would buy and that's more revenue for the club. Which seems fine to me, no way I would buy it, but if it's good for the club why not? You've got to remember it's Arsenal, we're as famed for our financial exploits as we are for what goes on on the pitch.

BigOscar said:
We can get the clown to wear that at Sergio's birthday party.

Ronuja said:
BigOscar said:

Wow it's hard to figure out what's going on with that shirt. Even harder to figure out how anyone could have though that design would be a good idea. And considering that it's on the arsenal website you have to believe that it's legit. You could definitely interpret it as smalltime but it looks to me like just another way of making a little cash, they saw an opportunity to put out another kit which some fans would buy and that's more revenue for the club. Which seems fine to me, no way I would buy it, but if it's good for the club why not? You've got to remember it's Arsenal, we're as famed for our financial exploits as we are for what goes on on the pitch.

you'll justify anything you lot, you're like Robin Hood's arch-nemesis.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
Ronuja said:
BigOscar said:

I have to admit my handle on the legend of Robin hood is very weak, but wouldn't we be his best friend then? Or am I absolutely wrong?

Ronuja said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
Ronuja said:

I have to admit my handle on the legend of Robin hood is very weak, but wouldn't we be his best friend then? Or am I absolutely wrong?

Robin Hood, steals from the rich and gives to the poor. Your team is squeezing every penny they can out of your fan base to put into their own coffers, you work it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.