Arsenal Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
They used to do this on an annual basis a while back. Great start, still near the top round about Christmas. And just when they start getting giddy, the wheels would fall off and they’d end up battling just to finish top four.

Probably a good time to have the game with them called off though. Highly doubt they’ll be in this sort of form when it’s rearranged.

I think Arsenal understating their title chances is wise.
They are the dark horse though, no doubt. Someone other than City has to win it eventually. Everyone thought Liverpool was the most likely. Now Arsenal has as good a chance as any.

They are crackpots, remember Leicester.

Personally think the odds that Arsenal close a 24 point gap in quality in one season are quite small and highly unlikely. People say ‘remember Leicester’ but we’re talking about a 5000-1 biggest sporting upset of all time kind of incident.

Leicester also weren’t up against the greatest English team of all time. In fact, everyone was below par and the league was won with a low points total. City being at the level they are now makes something like this even less likely to occur in my view.

You never want to write someone off completely but a run of 9 games doesn’t tell you anything about a run to the title. If Arsenal are up there in late March then absolutely but right now it’s nothing more than good form going off any evidence we have at hand.

I’ve already seen comments on their forums and fans Twitter accounts about the pressure now being on City because they play first this weekend. We’re in October and they’re already thinking like that? I’d not even noticed or considered it. That sets alarm bells off for me already. City wouldn’t even be thinking about that until April if at all. It’s the sort of thing you worry about when you’re feeling the pressure or getting over excited tbh.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying City walk the league and there are no contenders. Just that Arsenal’s form in 9 games doesn’t mean they’re suddenly the number 1 contender over anyone else and that closing the gap to us over a period of months will be extremely difficult for them.

Last edited:
Personally think the odds that Arsenal close a 24 point gap in quality in one season are quite small and highly unlikely. People say ‘remember Leicester’ but we’re talking about a 5000-1 biggest sporting upset of all time kind of incident.

Leicester weren’t up against the greatest English team of all time. In fact, everyone was below par and the league was won with a low points total. City being at the level they are now makes something like this even less likely to occur in my view.

You never want to write someone off completely but a run of 9 games doesn’t tell you anything about a run to the title. If Arsenal are up there in late March then absolutely but right now it’s nothing more than good form going off any evidence we have at hand.
I'm old school and i don't assume anything with City, you would expect them to fall away but that's not a given and until then i'll consider them as rivals, i mean i even think that manky mob at the other end of the East Lancs aren't out of it.

I’ve already seen comments on their forums and fans Twitter accounts about the pressure now being on City because they play first this weekend. We’re in October and they’re already thinking like that? I’d not even noticed or considered it. That sets alarm bells off for me already. City wouldn’t even be thinking about that until April if at all. It’s the sort of thing you worry about when you’re feeling the pressure or getting over excited tbh.

Here’s one. An Arse fan on RAWK. You’d think we’re an unproven side and aren’t consistently the top scorers in the country. They’re in too deep already.

F5CE603A-5FDC-405F-8EDE-A9AF8928D1A1.jpeg

Here’s one. An Arse fan on RAWK. You’d think we’re an unproven side and aren’t consistently the top scorers in the country. They’re in too deep already.

View attachment 58185
We have proven time and again that it's what happens after Christmas that matters. No club in Europe has finished better than we have in the last ten years. Pep builds everything around the title run-in. The press and opposition fans can keep sneering. We will do our talking on the pitch.

They used to do this on an annual basis a while back. Great start, still near the top round about Christmas. And just when they start getting giddy, the wheels would fall off and they’d end up battling just to finish top four.

Probably a good time to have the game with them called off though. Highly doubt they’ll be in this sort of form when it’s rearranged.
When City won the league in 2013-14 and the league table finished:
City 86
Liverpool 84
Chelsea 82

Arsenal were top of the league for 20 of the 38 weeks that season yet weren’t even in the title race come the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.