Arsenal Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its killing football at the grassroots level though. Its got to the stage where individual footballers now cost more than clubs in the championship. Sunderland were bought a few years back for 42m, granted they were in League One at the time. But thats mental that a one city club with a very nice stadium and a loyal following cost 42m.

We also see clubs getting into financial trouble simply trying to compete. They overreach because if they dont they get left out in the cold. We have top tier clubs buying up young talent left right and centre and loaning them back to the club they bought them off, therefore assuming all the upside potential of the players development. Just look at Chelsea, they have about 40 players out on loan. Every club should be allowed to make only three external loans from players that joined the club over 14 years of age. These loan farms are terrible.

This is why one day the ESL will happen. Because the game is for sale and for profit, and eventually the people who have bought the game will run in for thier own profit motive

The German model of the 50+1 rule is the way to go.
Football has been going this way for years.

I agree with some of what you're saying but not the German model.
Bayern have won the league over there every season for the last decade and it doesn't look like ending any time soon.
The EPL is so popular worldwide and thriving because it is so competitive in comparison to the Bundesliga.
We've won 6 titles in 10 years but 4 of these have gone to the final day of the season.
Top clubs get most money from broadcasting rights and sponsors and most broadcasters and sponsors pay far more to be associated with the EPL than an uncompetitive Bundesliga which these days is basically a predictable one club league.
Bayern get a huge chunk of their revenues from a small number of sponsors who just happen to own a stake in them but nothing to see there obviously!
I'll always maintain that the EPL would have gone the same way without the likes of Fiszman, Abramovich and Mansour.

Football has been going this way for years.

I agree with some of what you're saying but not the German model.
Bayern have won the league over there every season for the last decade and it doesn't look like ending any time soon.
The EPL is so popular worldwide and thriving because it is so competitive in comparison to the Bundesliga.
We've won 6 titles in 10 years but 4 of these have gone to the final day of the season.
Top clubs get most money from broadcasting rights and sponsors and most broadcasters and sponsors pay far more to be associated with the EPL than an uncompetitive Bundesliga which these days is basically a predictable one club league.
Bayern get a huge chunk of their revenues from a small number of sponsors who just happen to own a stake in them but nothing to see there obviously!
I'll always maintain that the EPL would have gone the same way without the likes of Fiszman, Abramovich and Mansour.
Yep, where there is money to be made, there will always be businessmen with "new" business models to make it. Owners have been something like this: Local businessmen > Rich local businessmen > Rich national businessmen > Quoted companies > Investment funds, with a branch off to Super-rich individuals/states who don't need to worry about sharing the investment, and then into global ownership which is just starting.

I have no problem with any of those stages, it's a natural business progression, but I am thankful for the super-rich individuals who have, as you say, avoided a situation where the top, business-oriented clubs could make their cosy little cartel, despite their best efforts. Not so much states, but it can't be stopped and it shakes up the status quo, so embrace it.

What I do have a problem with is the hypocrisy of the clubs, and the fans of clubs, who have benefitted at each stage in owner development when it comes to a new stage. You had your advantages, it will always be someone else's turn.

Yep, where there is money to be made, there will always be businessmen with "new" business models to make it. Owners have been something like this: Local businessmen > Rich local businessmen > Rich national businessmen > Quoted companies > Investment funds, with a branch off to Super-rich individuals/states who don't need to worry about sharing the investment, and then into global ownership which is just starting.

I have no problem with any of those stages, it's a natural business progression, but I am thankful for the super-rich individuals who have, as you say, avoided a situation where the top, business-oriented clubs could make their cosy little cartel, despite their best efforts. Not so much states, but it can't be stopped and it shakes up the status quo, so embrace it.

What I do have a problem with is the hypocrisy of the clubs, and the fans of clubs, who have benefitted at each stage in owner development when it comes to a new stage. You had your advantages, it will always be someone else's turn.
Very well put and deserves much more than a like.
Your last paragraph especially sums up my views in a nutshell, whenever someone came along to invest in my lifetime such as Jack Walker at Blackburn or John Hall at Newcastle I always wished someone would come along and invest into my club.
Many fans who woman about us either wish for the same or are ignorant of the investment they've had to give them a huge leg up.
History has shown that investment doesn't guarantee success but having smart owners who are prepared to invest gives you a platform to challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.