Arsenal Thread | 2024/25

Mikel Merino deal done subject to medical. He'll add good options in the middle, is a big lad as well so the likes of the barcodes will have less chance to try and dominate physically.

Merino was the lad who got the last minute winner against Germany in the Euros.
You’re not pulling the wool over my eyes.

He's not 'bang average', he's got the top stats in Europe for duels won and he's a big lad who has just won the Euros. He'd probably get in ahead of Kovacic (or at the least alternate with him) in your side and would walk into the Rags or Dippers midfield.

He'll add steel in midfield and provide cover for Rice. He's definitely needed for Arsenal's squad depth so comparing him with Gundo isn't the right comparison. £35m isn't a marquee signing so it doesn't give Arsenal a title but it gives Arsenal more depth.

Something like Arsenal signing either Pep or Rodri probably gets us the title but I suspect that isn't going to happen! So for now it's about adding an extra 2-5% capability to the team, small margins make the difference in certain games.

Put it this way - we could hardly get out of our half at the Etihad last season. What happened is our defence got it out to our midfield but then Rodri and Co just nailed them and won it back. Someone like Merino makes that harder for City midfielders to do, plus he's an absolute unit and gives us more power at set pieces etc.
Let me get this right, he's not bang average but he will add steel to your midfield, provide cover for Rice, give you more power at set pieces and make it harder for our midfield to win the ball back against you. So where will he play and who will he replace in your team.

Also the lad that was shite at Newcastle.
6 seasons in Spain.190 games 20 goals.
He's a defensive midfielder. That's like saying Rodri is shite because he's only scored 21 goals in 174 games for Man City where loads more goals are scored than in other teams!

Last edited:
Let me get this right, he's not bang average but he will add steel to your midfield, provide cover for Rice, give you more power at set pieces and make it harder for our midfield to win the ball back against you. So where will he play and who will he replace in your team.
He'll play at 6. I reckon our midfield will then be him plus Rice and Odegaard ahead of him with Saka on the right and either Martinelli, Trossard or Jesus on the left and Havertz up top. By October I reckon this will be the line up1000013827.jpg

Theyve signed a decent but bang average player for the level they aspire to be at and are acting like he's the missing cog. Adds depth I suppose but he wouldn't even make it as a squad player at the clubs that actually win the big trophies.

Is arsenal signing Merino for £35m improving arsenal more than City resigning Gundogan on a free transfer improves us?

Absolutely not and deep down they will know this. If somehow they managed to scoop Gundog then I would have been quite worried.

Thankfully they are at that level.

He's not 'bang average', he's got the top stats in Europe for duels won and he's a big lad who has just won the Euros. He'd probably get in ahead of Kovacic (or at the least alternate with him) in your side and would walk into the Rags or Dippers midfield.

He'll add steel in midfield and provide cover for Rice. He's definitely needed for Arsenal's squad depth so comparing him with Gundo isn't the right comparison. £35m isn't a marquee signing so it doesn't give Arsenal a title but it gives Arsenal more depth.

Something like Arsenal signing either Pep or Rodri probably gets us the title but I suspect that isn't going to happen! So for now it's about adding an extra 2-5% capability to the team, small margins make the difference in certain games.

Put it this way - we could hardly get out of our half at the Etihad last season. What happened is our defence got it out to our midfield but then Rodri and Co just nailed them and won it back. Someone like Merino makes that harder for City midfielders to do, plus he's an absolute unit and gives us more power at set pieces etc.
phew, cover for Rice is all I needed to know.

that looks like a 2nd placed team or less to me which is good
If only there was some way we could find out.....

Anyway, loving the early season bullishness. However based on what I've seen from my time on here a large number of you will have a massive flounce on the matchday thread the instant some team burgles a point at the Etihad saying the title has gone and 'this is on Pep' lol.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.