Article 50/Brexit Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
of course not every single leave voter voted for a hard brexit, but if you dont leave the single market you arent leaving the eu. the margin of victory was 1 million + people, thats how referendums work, leave won. i dont think anyone saying cut all ties though both labour and the conservatives are saying they want out of the single market, there is no such thing imo as a hard brexit there is just brexit. a lot of people didn't vote on brexit in this election, they voted for all sorts of reasons anyway.

do you think if we left the single market the economy would crash and burn ? labour seem to disagree wit hthat.

Norway and Switzerland are not in the EU and are in the single market. The Remain camp stated to leave the EU meant leaving the single market as a scare tactic. The Leave camp stated that leaving the EU did not necessarily mean leaving the single market. This was a comfort tactic. The point remains that you can be in the single market and not be in the EU. The same applies to the Customs Union which from a trade and NI border perspective is just as crucial. We can be in the CU without being in the EU.

I voted remain purely on the grounds that nobody actually knew what they were voting for if we left . Nobody still has a clue what's on offer or not on offer . The country voted to leave , so we get on with it , but it's one huge fuck up at present

Norway and Switzerland are not in the EU and are in the single market. The Remain camp stated to leave the EU meant leaving the single market as a scare tactic. The Leave camp stated that leaving the EU did not necessarily mean leaving the single market. This was a comfort tactic. The point remains that you can be in the single market and not be in the EU. The same applies to the Customs Union which from a trade and NI border perspective is just as crucial. We can be in the CU without being in the EU.
NI could stay in the single market (matching the Rep.) but it throws up the CTA in the air as EU citizens would use Ireland as an easy way into the UK.

Irish naturalisation is 3 years if married to an Irish citizen, or 5 based on residence btw.

Maybe CTA could be retained for British/Irish born only. I'm sure someone would call it racist though as it would require differentiating a citizen from a citizen born here. It's sensible when you consider part of why the CTA exists though.

Many opinion polls show that the leave vote would be even higher. Not saying opinion polls are accurate I am just throwing it out there.
Kate Hoey, Labour, greatly increased her majority, she was a leave campaigner.
Tim Farron LIbDem, won his seat, with a greatly reduced majority, he was a staunch remainer who won't accept the result.
Nick Clegg, a remainer, got thrown out completely.
There is no mandate to ditch Brexit, even though remainers are trying to pin the election
result on a victory for them, it isn't, both leaders of the largest parties have stated this country will leave the
single market. Somehow, the more strident remainers have convinced themselves that it was solely
Conservative voters that voted to leave, which is not, and never was, the case.

Kate Hoey, Labour, greatly increased her majority, she was a leave campaigner.
Tim Farron LIbDem, won his seat, with a greatly reduced majority, he was a staunch remainer who won't accept the result.
There is no mandate to ditch Brexit, even though remainers are trying to pin the election
result on a victory for them, it isn't, both leaders of the largest parties have stated this country will leave the
single market. Somehow, the more strident remainers have convinced themselves that it was solely
Conservative voters that voted to leave
, which is not, and never was, the case.

Hence the term Tory Brexit even though they know May was a remainer. The leave voters covered every political spectrum as did remain voters and in general they knew that it was all about leaving the single market because every TV debate and pamphlet covered that in some detail.

The general election had fuck all to do with Brexit.
I know no one for whom it was an electoral issue.

The Tories tried to set the agenda and failed totally.

The general election had fuck all to do with Brexit.
I know no one for whom it was an electoral issue.

The Tories tried to set the agenda and failed totally.
I would agree with all of that.
However, since the election, remainers have tried to dress up the result as some mandate for this
'Soft Brexit' nonsense. It isn't.

In the last 24 hours I've heard people say that if we don't have EU immigrants we'll have shortages in nursing, farming and construction. All of them said we need to train more people from the UK.

All the stats say that even with a higher retirement age, even with automation, we face not just a skills shortage but a workforce shortage.

I don't believe the EU nationals getting jobs in warehouses round the motorways are taking jobs from British people. They're taking jobs from people who won't get on a bike to cycle to work at 5 a.m.

No I didn't mean to channel Tebbit.

In the last 24 hours I've heard people say that if we don't have EU immigrants we'll have shortages in nursing, farming and construction. All of them said we need to train more people from the UK.

All the stats say that even with a higher retirement age, even with automation, we face not just a skills shortage but a workforce shortage.

I don't believe the EU nationals getting jobs in warehouses round the motorways are taking jobs from British people. They're taking jobs from people who won't get on a bike to cycle to work at 5 a.m.

No I didn't mean to channel Tebbit.

Corbyn himself believes that British workers are being ousted by companies using agencies to fill factories with EU migrants. Having worked in that sector I have seen whole organisations up sticks move their distribution centres miles away and employ hundreds of EU migrants. Labour have constantly accused big business of employing EU migrants to water down rights for unskilled workers.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...s-better-off-out-of-eu-with-managed-migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.