Article 50/Brexit Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every utterance coming out of the government at the moment convinces me further that no Brexit soft, hard or semi will ever happen

Hence the term Tory Brexit even though they know May was a remainer. The leave voters covered every political spectrum as did remain voters and in general they knew that it was all about leaving the single market because every TV debate and pamphlet covered that in some detail.

Which is why May's decision to major on Brexit was yet another in her seemingly inexhaustable catalogue of duff decisions.

When you are 60-40 ahead in a poll, why on earth would you hang your hat on something that the nation is split pretty much 50-50 on? It's a monumentally stupid thing to do.

Either you are unsuccessful in persuading people that this is the most important thing, in which case why campaign about it. Or if you ARE successful, then you bring your lead back down from 60-40 to 52-48. Only a fool would choose this as a strategy. Oh, wait...

of course not every single leave voter voted for a hard brexit, but if you dont leave the single market you arent leaving the eu. the margin of victory was 1 million + people, thats how referendums work, leave won. i dont think anyone saying cut all ties though both labour and the conservatives are saying they want out of the single market, there is no such thing imo as a hard brexit there is just brexit. a lot of people didn't vote on brexit in this election, they voted for all sorts of reasons anyway.

do you think if we left the single market the economy would crash and burn ? labour seem to disagree wit hthat.

It should possible to leave the single market but still negotiate a deal where we have access to it on not too dissimilar terms to now. That would require some compromise on free movement but still give us greater control over immigration. Perhaps as as starting point, or a transitional arrangement. To give us time to negotiate those free trade deals with the rest of the world.

Quite a few people that I know, or people whose comments I read during the referendum, said that their main issue wasnt really the current relationship between the UK and the EU. Their main concern was how the EU would develop. "Ever increasing union", further enlargement, more bailouts of the eurozone, the EU army etc. I'm not sure that most of the population want to see massive changes in the current relationship, more a reassurance that the UK is immunised against future federalisation. This far but no further (or perhaps a modest reigning back), but not taking a huge gamble on the future.

I dont think that if we left the single market the economy would necessarily crash and burn. I do think it will if we leave the single market with no deal.

Kate Hoey, Labour, greatly increased her majority, she was a leave campaigner.
Tim Farron LIbDem, won his seat, with a greatly reduced majority, he was a staunch remainer who won't accept the result.
Nick Clegg, a remainer, got thrown out completely.

More cherrypicked spinning statistics which don't really prove a darned thing.

As possible alternative views:
Hoey - +3.6% rise in votes, but LibDem (presumably Remain) got +13.7%
Clegg is in a big student area, and students voted Labour.

Quoting majorities needs to be considered in view of any increase in total vote.

According to Tom Newton Dunn on Sky paper review tonight there is a meeting of the Brexit cabinet sub committee tomorrow when the gloves will be off.
Apparently spreadsheet Phil is going to press for membership of the customs union ( which means foxy Liam is out of a job).
May is reportedly out of it at the moment on Brexit and is just a figurehead.
Three months gone of the allotted 18 months ( two years less six months for the EU 27 to ratify the deal) and we still haven't even got the basics of a plan agreed.
YCNMIU Jeff.

It isn't going to happen, is it?

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Nah something will happen but given we voted to leave a year ago, triggered Article 50 over two months ago and as of today the Govt and our political classes are tripping over their own cocks trying to figure what the hell kind of Brexit we want whilst simultaneously trying to climb out from under the giant steaming turd of an election doesn't fill anyone with confidence. I mean did you see May this evening? Christ on a bike Macron and co must be pissing themselves with laughter.

Nah something will happen but given we voted to leave a year ago, triggered Article 50 over two months ago and as of today the Govt and our political classes are tripping over their own cocks trying to figure what the hell kind of Brexit we want whilst simultaneously trying to climb out from under the giant steaming turd of an election doesn't fill anyone with confidence. I mean did you see May this evening? Christ on a bike Macron and co must be pissing themselves with laughter.
It's been an utter shambles from the start mate.

united-kingdom-inflation-cpi@2x.png

You'd think this on its own should have the most ardent Brexiter wondering whether it really is a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.