Assessment of our business this summer | Poll Added

Go on then, rate our transfer business out of 10?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why should we hold our firepower this season? Some may not realise this, but we have a chance at making history this season by winning a fourth consecutive league title. No team has ever done it. There's also the prospect of back to back CL's.

The club should be going for it, and thus far, when you factor in sales, we haven't spent a penny.
As I said, I think the club would like to freshen up the squad but there's a few things that make this a bit tricky - Saudi money turning heads, Chelsea buying anyone they can, players we'd like going for silly fees and a lack of suitable players to buy. It's just not easy finding suitable players.

I'm sure that if the money was right and the players were allowed to join us then we'd have signed Bellingham or Rice as well as Kane this window. However, the money was crazy and one player wasn't allowed to join us. Maybe Rice didn't want to move either, so what's the club supposed to do? These players are wanted by all the top clubs in Europe and we don't go into bidding wars.

As I said, maybe this year, we don't get who we want in and we have to rebuild a little. I'm not saying I like it, but I can see this being a possible tactic.

Laughable. On what basis do you arrive at that score?
Two good signings, keeping Bernardo Silva for another season (maybe one season more if he does sign a new deal) Nathan Ake and Rico Lewis extending their contracts as well. And we have kept both Kyle Walker and Stefan Ortega (which mean we don't have to scratch around trying to bring in another keeper). Not laughable in the slightest. If we get to keep Cole Palmer as well even better.

Last edited:
The signings have been superb. Gvardiol and Kovacic bring something new to the squad which will help us develop and keep setting new standards.

However the depth has taken a hit and we obviously didn’t have the deepest squad around, just absolute quality over quantity.

We arent a million miles from the stage of ‘panic buy’ and that concerns me, obviously we’ve come a long way since the first title but that transfer window of Maicon, Garcia, Rodwell & Scott Sinclair to squad pad still haunts me.

If there isn’t value in the market I’d rather us go with what we’ve got and push the academy lads on. Players we are linked to don’t feel the most inspiring in all honesty but then I know little to nothing about Doku, Wirtz, Olmo etc…

2 signings so far have been good but with injuries and departures the squad is clearly 2-3 players short.

Desperately need quality cover for Rodri, a creative midfielder and a winger with pace. If Phillips is never going to be used there's no point in him being there - Rodri is the only player in the squad we can't cover.

I trust the board with transfers, sure we’ll be fine. The rest of the league are playing catch up, no one comes close to this team. Line them up, and smash them all to bits.

I'll try to be as objective as I can. Starting from a 5/10 (a transfer window where the team is equally strong as the season before):

Defense: Considerably stronger ( I rate Gvardiol much higher than Laporte). +1 6/10

Midfield: before KDB, slightly weaker (Kovacic is a 8.5/10, while Gundo is a 9/10). After KDB's injury, considerably weaker. -1 5/10

Forwards: Lost Mahrez whois not a starter but a very important rotation member and a big goal threat. Slightly weaker. -0.5 4.5/10

Fees for outgoings: We got 55m for Laporte, Mahrez, Cancelo and Gundogan (I know his contract expired). That's poor, especially with Saudi money buying for very inflated prices. -1 3.5/10

Fees for incomings: Kovacic is a steal, and Gvardiol for a pretty fair price. +1 4.5/10

Fees for Academy: Here is the best part of the summer. Great fees all over the place. We have a fantastic net spend thanks to this. +2 6.5/10

Squad size: We have 2 fewer bodies than last season (and last season we already had a somewhat thin squad). -1 5.5/10

- If we add that we haven't been able of selling Phillips (his value will drop even further if he plays as much as last season, which seems to be the case), weren't able to bring Bellingham (it happens, so no big deal), and have had a relatively slow reaction to KDB's injury, I think a 5/10 transfer window is pretty fair.

The buys look great.

Selling both Mahrez @ Gundo has left us light.

Laporte going.

I expect the club to react this week.

Two good players needed to make the squad complete.

Pep has called on the club to make important decisions about the squad. I would be shocked if the club does not deliver.

Time we spend some more of that hard earned money.

Delighted with Kova & Gvardiol, same again Txiki.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.