Assisted dying

You shouldn't need relatives or anyone else to administer an effective end of life treatment.

Someone fit and well with no history of mental illness wants to kill themselves we should at the very least check them out, you'd get people who have split up with a spouse or partner wanting to bite the bullet,

As for Alzheimer's sufferers and conditions that leave the individual without dignity then "The talk" could happen to establish when death could happen when the condition takes the individual far enough down the path they have effectively become totally helpless.

I was all gung ho for this until I read up on the Canadian problem of poverty euthanasia, I don't trust government with my life and there has to be firm solid caveats in place to stop the authorities from being cunts.

You don't need doctors to administer a pill. And i'm not sure what 'moral' issues there are either.
A fully competent adult with all their mental faculties intact should have an option to end their own life as and when they choose.

And, what's this 'romantic bravado' stuff about? Fuck all romantic about wasting away from chronic bad health.

have a look at Jainism .....an Indian religion who believe that you should be able to choose the method, place and time of your death.

I'd like to see it permitted for those suffering long-term serious mental health issues like clinical depression.

The amount of misery in this country (and probably elsewhere) is VAST in the cruel, ruthless 21st century.
I know that certain unpleasant people in power might see it as a good way of getting rid of the underclass but no one will be under pressure to make a.decision if the law is strict on that.

I also believe that having an ever ready painless exit option would make it easier to live for seriously depressed people

Someone fit and well with no history of mental illness wants to kill themselves we should at the very least check them out, you'd get people who have split up with a spouse or partner wanting to bite the bullet,
This is different To AD for those who are not 'fit and well'
As for Alzheimer's sufferers and conditions that leave the individual without dignity then "The talk" could happen to establish when death could happen when the condition takes the individual far enough down the path they have effectively become totally helpless.

I was all gung ho for this until I read up on the Canadian problem of poverty euthanasia, I don't trust government with my life and there has to be firm solid caveats in place to stop the authorities from being cunts.
I've just had a quick look at Canada and the 'poverty euthanasia' you mention. Can't see anything to support your argument there either.

This is different To AD for those who are not 'fit and well'

I've just had a quick look at Canada and the 'poverty euthanasia' you mention. Can't see anything to support your argument there either.

The Guardian mentions it and there are a fair few online publications that air my concerns.

Soon enough, Canadians from across the country discovered that although they would otherwise prefer to live, they were too poor to improve their conditions to a degree which was acceptable.

Most people who kill themselves have no history of mental illness. Which arguably says more about the availability of mental health services than their actually mental state, to be fair.

But yeah, often suicidal thoughts are a temporary condition, and if the person can be supported through them, they will be thankful that they didn't go through with it. One weird one I read about was that the put anti-suicide netting on the Golden Gate Bridge and lots of people said "What's the point? They can just jump of something else." But apparently that's not how it works psychologically. People will have a clear idea of how they want to do it, and if thwarted, they won't suddenly take the next logical option, they won't do it at all.

That's why I'd question making euthanasia available for someone in their 30s or 40s on the grounds of mental health issues. At the very least, it needs to be a reasonably involved process to get approval. I get it for people who have a terminal disease that is only going to get worse and more painful until they die. All you're doing there is avoiding the most unpleasant bit of something that's inevitable. But depression and other mental health issues are treatable and improvable.

Believers in fairy tales should be nowhere near this debate

I’m as much of an atheist as anyone, but I always wonder if posters realise how ignorant they come across - even to another atheist - when they try to write off something that is central to the lives of 6,800,000,000 humans on this planet.

It’s pretty much the one thing another atheist can do to make me completely disregard everything else they’re saying, because the arrogance and narcissism need to think 85% of the global population, or 60% of the UK, doesn’t deserve to be involved in a debate like only proves that you shouldn’t be in it.

If you believe assisted dying or legalised suicide should be brought in then you’ll have to accept that the ~33% of the country that says they are not religious are going to need the help of “people who believe in fairy tales” to get it passed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.