Aston Villa (A) | Post-Match Thread

What a superb result. That's the type of performance that wins titles and trophies. After a rancid start, we dominated the game and fully deserved the win.

Stones... what can you say? As soon as I saw the Stones tackle it was clear it was a red card. It's astonishing to think how much posession we had that Stones managed to play a part in a goal and sent off in 40 minutes. Pep must be absolutely livid with him. This started with England and it's continued. I think he is a superb player when he is on form, but one mistake and it's back to square one with him. For all those who say his form drops when he's rotated, he's at a club which requires players to be rotated to compete on four fronts. I hope Laporte steps up in the final because we need it. He's been superb at times this season, but I wouldn't play him again now. His head has gone - again. He isn't concentrating and given the amount of defending he had to do in that game, he's failed massively.

Foden was absolutely magnificent. For a 20 year old player, he was BY FAR the best player we had on the pitch. He will be the greatest English player of his generation without question and would not look out of place at any club in the world. He is our most important player at the moment without question. He has absolutely everything in his game. I actually felt a bit sorry for Cash as I think he's a reasonable player, but not even Ashley Cole at his peak would've coped with Foden today.

As well as Foden, I thought Rodri, Silva and Gundogan were also superb. Silva never stopped running and the others just take and move the ball like they are playing kids. I had some vile abuse for saying it after the last game, but as a whole our midfield plays better when KdB doesn't play. KdB is our best player, but as Zinchenko shows, best players don't make the best teams.

Hinchlife was an absolute disgrace AGAIN. Constantly sniping, constantly criticising our play and constantly making out every tackle we did was a foul or penalty. He should be sacked.

Finally, a note on Villa. Given they avoided relegation last season, they look a very good side. Their manager has made them into a very good team with some decent players. Of course, few teams can live with us but full marks to him for making them into a team that have comfortably stayed up. United have to play Leeds and Villa and won't find either game easy. Leicester and Wolves won't be easy and Fulham are fighting relegation and have looked more than capable of upsets. They've also got to play a Liverpool team who are finding a bit of form too and Liverpool need to win games to get into the CL spots. I just don't see them winning more than 3 of those games.

A superb result for us, the kind of result which champions always manage to do.

Next: Spurs!

To start with negatives, I didn't like out right side, Mahrez was ok, bud subdued, when you want him to be selfish and to try one on one, he start passing balls through. Walker had a poor game for me and I blame him for the first goal, leaving Stones defending the places size of Luxembourg. Attacking wise, he ran behind on three through balls at least and literally nothing came out of those.
Many positives, least of all coming from behind, our first half passing was crazy and Phil was even crazier. It's really scary how good he is, I just want Pep to let him play centrally and run against defender. Gundogan...well, he is like Merlin 2.0, and left side with Oleks worked like a clockwork. And the second half, those following City and particularly those who appreciate Guardiola's paradigm of football, must have enjoyed it; for the rest it must have be a bore-fest. CTID.
I agree in regards to Walker and leaving all that space but it has to be instructed from Pep as Cancelo has done this too recently which has led to goals(Leeds/Chelsea).

He is the Glue that keeps us ticking over.

Seems to step up when KDB is not playing.

When KDB was out with that lengthy injury many of us thought that was it, our season was done. Gundog produced the best form of hist City career he was outstanding.

I thought tonight he was familiarizing himself in the role again.

It is weird both him,Bernado seem to play better when KDB is not in the side.
Gundog works brilliantly with Foden. They compliment one-another.

That'll do nicely, shows how important Bernie and Phil are to the team. Great win from behind and sets us up nicely for Sunday

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.