Aston Villa (H) - Post-Match Thread

For me, it's not about the players and whether they are in or out of form, or whether they still have the desire etc (although these things are of course a factor).

But mainly it's about our tactics. Someone else said that we play without taking enough risks and I totally agree with that. It's the main reason we are pretty average (at best) when KDB doesn't play: He's the only one who is always prepared to play first time balls, to try adventurous forward passes, to have a shot. The rest of them more often than not, slow the game down, retain possession and pass it around waiting for an opportunity.

An opportunity with decent opposition, that never comes. I get the impression we could play for 3 hours against the better defending sides and still not score. And of course when we finally make a mistake, they pounce and the best sides take advantage and we drop points again.

This is no system for winning the league or the CL. Carry on like this and we will win nothing. It MUST change. We have to start being more attacking and more direct. Get the ball in the box early and calamity often ensues, resulting in a goal. Pass it around aimlessly for 5 minutes and the opponents get organized and chances are few and far between.
You do realise we coild be top in 3 days? Have scored the most goals and have the best goal difference.

You do realise we coild be top in 3 days? Have scored the most goals and have the best goal difference.
Funnily enough, yes, I do realise that. But if you're suggesting that means all is well and we shouldn't have an opinion otherwise, then I do not agree.

Carry on like this and we will win nothing, for sure. The question is, will we carry on like this, or will we - as we showed a bit in the first half - get our shit together.

We played well in the first half but not excellent in my opinion. Still too slow and not enough risks taken. When we do pop it about we always look dangerous. Bernie for me slowed things down too much, but was playing in an unfamiliar role. Haaland made run after run and was not picked out. In fact only in the second half did we get wide and put balls across that if he was still on the pitch he could have had a couple of good chances (I think Jack and Bernie out two crosses in with no one in the middle).
We need to get our heads up earlier and see Haalands runs, we don’t have to try every time but as per Gundo’s goal, it will lead to a chance or failing that might make them defend differently, therefore giving us more space.
Wednesday will be a very interesting test

Funnily enough, yes, I do realise that. But if you're suggesting that means all is well and we shouldn't have an opinion otherwise, then I do not agree.

Carry on like this and we will win nothing, for sure. The question is, will we carry on like this, or will we - as we showed a bit in the first half - get our shit together.
All is not a great as some recent years and we all can see that, but to suggest if we carry on as we are are we'll win nothing is way off. We might not, but chances are we'll win a pot or two, and re-energise the midfielsd in the summer.

Was a strange second half. Everything felt a bit flat and off but it’s been like that for much of the season, a few blues getting on at each other to get behind the team - south stand was on form mind. Villa were there to be destroyed second half. Misplaced passes gave Villa hope and when we got on the break passing the ball behind which slowed us down letting Villa regroup. Still 3 points is 3 points and we weren’t ever in any danger of not getting them.
The misplaced pass by Akanji when he had all the time in the world was appalling.

I am with you, that second half performance was not game management it was just laziness by the whole team.

If they keep doing that we will win sod all.

You’re one of those people that won’t be happy unless we win the league every single season. We’re no worse off now, better positioned in fact, than when we finished 2nd in 19/20. We followed that season up with another back to back title show.

Ultimately, we won’t win the league every year and when we don’t win it, it’ll be because we weren’t at our best. It’s impossible to win the league every year and success usually brings a small drop off in desire across the board. It’s human nature. It’s why most PL title winning managers have been sacked the year after winning the league over the last decade. Pep is the only one to manage to retain the title (x2) and our ‘bad’ season sees us drop to the lowly depths of 2nd. What an absolute disaster.

Guess what? If we don’t win the league, we’ll come back as strong as ever just like the last time. We certainly won’t be dossing round in mid table like Liverpool. So many people, like yourself, only see what’s happened right now rather than being able to look at the bigger picture. What happened before, is it like now, what might happen in the future going off past events etc.

The big picture in case you can’t work it out is that we’ll carry on being the most successful club in the league regardless of a season or two where we aren’t at our best. Just prepare to be really really unhappy in the odd season we don’t win it. :)

Last edited:
I wanted our players to come out and smash it. It was okay i guess second half played with a MASSIVE midweek fixture in mind.

STILL fuming at gundogan for refusing a simple pass to Haaland for an easy goal...especially when Haaland delivered a much more difficult ball to give Gundo his goal later on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.