Atalanta CL (H) Post Match Thread

I love the fact we have games like this, we can moan about the defence (as we do of course) but the attacking options are off the scale, I am sure we will come unstuck against top sides in CL but its a hell of a ride getting there.
Our defence will be much better by the time we play a decent side

Mate you've turned into a real prophet of doom recently. Agree on Mendy though, his pass completion rate must be the lowest of any player in the squad and don't get me started on his positional sense.

I obviously can't agree with the prophet of doom, as even Pep has highlighted concerns when we are still winning games.

There were positives in my post for Raheem, Foden Ederson, even Walker's intensity.

Outside of that, the scoreline masked continued deficiencies at both ends for us. The success of the two previous seasons were predicated on having total control of the game.

I've not felt we have had control for a while this season, even when Laporte was fit.

That's down the 'boxes' issue Pep has raised. Sergio missed two clear chances last night before we went a goal behind. At Palace, we miss chance after chance (same as Everton) and Ederson is needed to come to the rescue.

Things like I'm pointing out are only where I think we still have improvement in us. The deficiencies are there, they will only become more apparent when we play better opponents.

At least we can see Mendy is a problem.

Enjoyed the performances of Sterling and Foden.

It is also good to see Ederson seems to have regained the eye of the tiger in recent weeks?

The rest of the performance was pretty concerning, a real lack of cohesion and more a tale of talent winning out, rather than people doing their jobs properly.

Regardless of his injury, Mendy makes so many poor unintelligent passes, he also threw the ball to the opposition three times last night.

We need a new left-back and, much as a enjoy Walker's intensity, he is an injury or red card waiting to happen.

As for Stones, he's in danger of letting it all slip away. A massive fan but he's not even alert to give and go's, passing twice across his backline and not putting enough on the ball, almost putting someone in the shit.

5-1, all very welcome, but Atalanta are shit, no talking up of them even from Pep will convince me otherwise.

If that's a first-legged tie against anyone half decent, we are out before half-time.
Pretty much agree with this.
I like Walker for his effort and willingness but he runs the ball blindly a lot gets caught. He is not a great passer.
Mendy? I just can't warm to him. He is so ponderous because he's so one footed. He can't make a three yard pass which means he's not suitable for our tight possession based game.
He's also too immobile as a defender. Keep hoping he'll come good after injuries, but at the moment I think Angelino is far better suited to our game, although the jury is still out about his defending also.
I'd honestly try Garcia as a centre back in the remaining UEFA games. As long as we secure topping the group, why not? He looks decent.

I thought Foden Gundo and Kev were very good. Best I've seen Phil, I think.
Sterling had the right back in trouble from start to finish. Couldn't cope with him outside or inside.
Contrast that with the predictability of Mahrez. But even he made a few really telling contributions. needs to learn to use his right foot though.

Eddie is having a fabulous run of form at the moment.

All in all we are dealing with this group well with the minimum of fuss. have to be happy with that.

I obviously can't agree with the prophet of doom, as even Pep has highlighted concerns when we are still winning games.

There were positives in my post for Raheem, Foden Ederson, even Walker's intensity.

Outside of that, the scoreline masked continued deficiencies at both ends for us. The success of the two previous seasons were predicated on having total control of the game.

I've not felt we have had control for a while this season, even when Laporte was fit.

That's down the 'boxes' issue Pep has raised. Sergio missed two clear chances last night before we went a goal behind. At Palace, we miss chance after chance (same as Everton) and Ederson is needed to come to the rescue.

Things like I'm pointing out are only where I think we still have improvement in us. The deficiencies are there, they will only become more apparent when we play better opponents.

At least we can see Mendy is a problem.

Walker was absolutely dreadful last night.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.