Athletics Thread

The Jamaica meet race's are on YouTube as well if you're interested mate, a channel called Athletics TV has them on, some big names present.
I’ll search that out, and also because I’m looking for stream to watch some of the Gotzis multi events meeting from Austria this weekend too, fingers crossed. Cheers for the recommendation.

I’ll search that out, and also because I’m looking for stream to watch some of the Gotzis multi events meeting from Austria this weekend too, fingers crossed. Cheers for the recommendation.
The night of the PB's is this Saturday, that's always fun. I've no idea who's running but it's now the official UK Championship race and Olympic trials over 10k. It will be on the iPlayer.

An Ethiopian girl won the women's 10k last year, went under 30 minutes, and couldn't catch the Ethiopian team for the World's, she finished 4th in their trials lol.

She'd be a superstar if she was one of ours, can we find her a passport ;)

The night of the PB's is this Saturday, that's always fun. I've no idea who's running but it's now the official UK Championship race and Olympic trials over 10k. It will be on the iPlayer.

An Ethiopian girl won the women's 10k last year, went under 30 minutes, and couldn't catch the Ethiopian team for the World's, she finished 4th in their trials lol.

She'd be a superstar if she was one of ours, can we find her a passport ;)
Reading the race report from Gill’s run on bbc athletics they are saying there is still some doubt she’ll get picked for the GB 800m team - when the qualifying standard is 1:59!
I suppose they might pick her for the European Champs first and see how she goes there, but unless 3 women run faster than her this season, it would be an outrage not to take her to Paris after that.
Hodgkinson, Reekie and Gill as the team??

Reading the race report from Gill’s run on bbc athletics they are saying there is still some doubt she’ll get picked for the GB 800m team - when the qualifying standard is 1:59!
I suppose they might pick her for the European Champs first and see how she goes there, but unless 3 women run faster than her this season, it would be an outrage not to take her to Paris after that.
Hodgkinson, Reekie and Gill as the team??
Yes you would think so, I guess she will have to run at the trials and see how she gets on there.

It will never happen with a British athlete, as we don't run in teams like some other countries do but reading about her it seems she is a front runner. Wouldn't it be nice if she would take Morra on and not allow her to dictate the pace as she usually does.

I think that would play right into Keeley's hands but will never happen.

Yes you would think so, I guess she will have to run at the trials and see how she gets on there.

It will never happen with a British athlete, as we don't run in teams like some other countries do but reading about her it seems she is a front runner. Wouldn't it be nice if she would take Morra on and not allow her to dictate the pace as she usually does.

I think that would play right into Keeley's hands but will never happen.
That would be amazing,
with GB having two cards to play in a final with Moraa and Mu.
Could be a showstopper!

For me, this is even better, Marita Koch. Was lucky enough to see her run at Crystal Palace in 83 and got her autograph. She was always one my heroes growing up as an athlete in the 80s.

For me, this is even better, Marita Koch. Was lucky enough to see her run at Crystal Palace in 83 and got her autograph. She was always one my heroes growing up as an athlete in the 80s.

Don't you think both of those athlete's were a little bit suspect mate?

The East German's were doped to the eyeballs, and that's putting it kindly.

Don't you think both of those athlete's were a little bit suspect mate?

The East German's were doped to the eyeballs, and that's putting it kindly.
I think the 800m runner was 100%, yes.

With Marita, possibly but, and this is only my personal opinion, I did think the Americans that the East German athletes they were up against weren’t squeaky clean either. Yes, it wasn’t state organised but it still was the same effects on athletes. You could actually argue those young East German women were victims in a way too.

The other aspect though, which was nothing to do with doping, is that sports success was so important for the East German state that they put it front and centre in other ways, in terms of investment in their system. They had fabulous coaching, and process that identified talent really young in schools, for all sports, based on born natural characteristics be it wing span/arm length for throwers (or swimmers) or lung capacity etc for other events, then supported and nurtured that talent intensively.

If I’m honest too, as a kid I also suspended my disbelief, just like I do now watching cycling (or football!) because if you didn’t, you wouldn’t really enjoy much sport at all I suppose.

(One or two sportsmen & women I do still find a bit too suspicious to ignore though!)

I think the 800m runner was 100%, yes.

With Marita, possibly but, and this is only my personal opinion, I did think the Americans that the East German athletes they were up against weren’t squeaky clean either. Yes, it wasn’t state organised but it still was the same effects on athletes. You could actually argue those young East German women were victims in a way too.

The other aspect though, which was nothing to do with doping, is that sports success was so important for the East German state that they put it front and centre in other ways, in terms of investment in their system. They had fabulous coaching, and process that identified talent really young in schools, for all sports, based on born natural characteristics be it wing span/arm length for throwers (or swimmers) or lung capacity etc for other events, then supported and nurtured that talent intensively.

If I’m honest too, as a kid I also suspended my disbelief, just like I do now watching cycling (or football!) because if you didn’t, you wouldn’t really enjoy much sport at all I suppose.

(One or two sportsmen & women I do still find a bit too suspicious to ignore though!)
Kathy Cook says hi.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.