Athletics Thread

I think the 800m runner was 100%, yes.

With Marita, possibly but, and this is only my personal opinion, I did think the Americans that the East German athletes they were up against weren’t squeaky clean either. Yes, it wasn’t state organised but it still was the same effects on athletes. You could actually argue those young East German women were victims in a way too.

The other aspect though, which was nothing to do with doping, is that sports success was so important for the East German state that they put it front and centre in other ways, in terms of investment in their system. They had fabulous coaching, and process that identified talent really young in schools, for all sports, based on born natural characteristics be it wing span/arm length for throwers (or swimmers) or lung capacity etc for other events, then supported and nurtured that talent intensively.

If I’m honest too, as a kid I also suspended my disbelief, just like I do now watching cycling (or football!) because if you didn’t, you wouldn’t really enjoy much sport at all I suppose.

(One or two sportsmen & women I do still find a bit too suspicious to ignore though!)
They, the East German's absolutely were doped but also victim's as you said. I watched a documentary year's ago and a female East German swimmer who told the story of what they went through.

The swimmers were doped on steroids, and the training regime was to have them swim against a very strong tide, in a purpose built indoor facility. She explained that the tide was so strong, that you couldn't swim forward, just try and hold a position and not go backwards. It was for building strength and stamina, all while using drugs. I believe the long term health effects were also very negative for those involved.

It was state sponsored, and I'm dubious about any athlete's in any sport from behind the iron curtain at that time. Some of the records that still exist are ridiculous, especially so considering the improvements in nutrition, and sports science.

They, the East German's absolutely were doped but also victim's as you said. I watched a documentary year's ago and a female East German swimmer who told the story of what they went through.

The swimmers were doped on steroids, and the training regime was to have them swim against a very strong tide, in a purpose built indoor facility. She explained that the tide was so strong, that you couldn't swim forward, just try and hold a position and not go backwards. It was for building strength and stamina, all while using drugs. I believe the long term health effects were also very negative for those involved.

It was state sponsored, and I'm dubious about any athlete's in any sport from behind the iron curtain at that time. Some of the records that still exist are ridiculous, especially so considering the improvements in nutrition, and sports science.
Yep, I wouldn’t argue with much of that.

Mu, Morra and Hodgkinson are all running the 800m in the Eugene Diamond league meeting on Saturday, Reekie is also in it but will be hard pressed to break into the top 3. Ingebrigtsen Vs Kerr, with Jake Wightman also in the field is another highlight in the Mile.

BBC 3, 9PM.

Mu, Morra and Hodgkinson are all running the 800m in the Eugene Diamond league meeting on Saturday, Reekie is also in it but will be hard pressed to break into the top 3. Ingebrigtsen Vs Kerr, with Jake Wightman also in the field is another highlight in the Mile.

BBC 3, 9PM.
Woah!
Just bought tickets to the UK championships in June.

I worry for some of our "cycling heroes".

As I can't see it elsewhere, RIP David Wilkie.

Nice one mate, fingers crossed for some nice weather. Hodgkinson has confirmed she's running in the championship, can't wait to see how young Phoebe Gill gets on against her and Reekie.
Yes, what a performance she gave in smashing the U18 European record with a time putting her in to world-class territory, at just 17. It would be wonderful if that is her true talent because the depth it would give us at that distance would be exceptional.

Do you know what has happened to Max Burgin? I thought he looked a wonderful prospect but he seems to have gone under the radar.

Yes, what a performance she gave in smashing the U18 European record with a time putting her in to world-class territory, at just 17. It would be wonderful if that is her true talent because the depth it would give us at that distance would be exceptional.

Do you know what has happened to Max Burgin? I thought he looked a wonderful prospect but he seems to have gone under the radar.
I've no idea mate, I don't think he's ran yet this season so might be injured again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.