Athletics Thread

What a run by Asher-Smith. Just coming into real fitness now, showing that her speed was always there. If she would have been up to this fitness at the Olympics, she would have picked up a bronze with that time.
That was some start she got wasn’t it?!

Absence of any interaction with/congrats from Daryl at the end there - which seems to be par for the course for those two!

Femke back to winning ways which is great to see. Always shows up for the sport.

As I said in the Olympic thread it's why I'm not a fan of Mclaughlin, sets world records, wins the gold and then disappears for 4 years, not healthy for the sport.
I take the point that she does not appear on the Diamond League, but your point about appearing every four years is simply not true. She has competed in national championships in 2021, 2022, 2023 and 2024, international championships in 2021, 2022, and 2024, an on the US circuit during each of those years. I wish she did compete in the Diamond League because a talent like hers is incredibly rare.

I take the point that she does not appear on the Diamond League, but your point about appearing every four years is simply not true. She has competed in national championships in 2021, 2022, 2023 and 2024, international championships in 2021, 2022, and 2024, an on the US circuit during each of those years. I wish she did compete in the Diamond League because a talent like hers is incredibly rare.
When you say “on the US circuit” what circuit is this you are talking about, and any idea how often (I know I could research it but thought you might know)?

Genuine questions, because for me, even if you appear at national champs and at the two world champs between Olympics, that still doesn’t address the substantive point, not imho anyway.

When you say “on the US circuit” what circuit is this you are talking about, and any idea how often (I know I could research it but thought you might know)?

Genuine questions, because for me, even if you appear at national champs and at the two world champs between Olympics, that still doesn’t address the substantive point, not imho anyway.
I am wrong, actually. It is only US championships and then international comps. She won the Diamond League in 2019.
I wasn't disagreeing with your general point, just the assertion that she appears every four years.

The 4 years was a slight exaggeration but that's essentially my issue with her, shows up at the Championships and disappears. The sport needs its stars and I think this disappearing act isn't great. She's raced outside the US 4 times in 5 years, Paris and Tokyo Olympics, 1 meet in Paris and Budapest.

She's an amazing athlete but I don't think that alone is enough for Athletics. I actually think Bobby Kersee is as much of the issue, he seems to resent competing. Go and race the 400m up against Paulino if you think the hurdles is too easy.

He's done the same with Athing Mu and it's ruined her season and cost her, her defence of the Olympic title.

I am wrong, actually. It is only US championships and then international comps. She won the Diamond League in 2019.
I wasn't disagreeing with your general point, just the assertion that she appears every four years.
Thanks for the reply pal - I’m pretty sure we agree on most things ;-)

The 4 years was a slight exaggeration but that's essentially my issue with her, shows up at the Championships and disappears. The sport needs its stars and I think this disappearing act isn't great. She's raced outside the US 4 times in 5 years, Paris and Tokyo Olympics, 1 meet in Paris and Budapest.

She's an amazing athlete but I don't think that alone is enough for Athletics. I actually think Bobby Kersee is as much of the issue, he seems to resent competing.

He's done the same with Athing Mu and it's ruined her season and cost her, her defence of the Olympic title.
Yes.

And Kersee and his history is a can of worms in a number of ways, but I won’t start all that up now.

That was some start she got wasn’t it?!

Absence of any interaction with/congrats from Daryl at the end there - which seems to be par for the course for those two!
You will probably know more about this than me but I thought she looked excellent technically. A superb start, a very good transition, and ran all the way through the line holding her form.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.