Atletico (H) | CL QF 1st Leg | Post Match Thread

Are Kevin and Cancelo still at risk of missing semi-final leg 1? I think they are but appreciate anyone with knowledge of rules to confirm.

This is the rule wording from UEFA website:
Exceptionally, all yellow cards and pending yellow-card suspensions expire on completion of the play-offs. They are not carried forward to the group stage. In addition, all yellow cards expire on completion of the quarter-finals. They are not carried forward to the semi-finals.

So any pending suspensions expire at start of group stage but no such wording for semi final, just that yellows are cancelled.

I read this as if you get your third yellow in the QF leg 2 you still get a 1 match ban for first leg of semi but if you have 2, they get cleared and hence you cant accumulate 3 before the final without getting a red card (and in which case you deserve a ban anyway)

A good result, absolutely, but I can't help look back and wonder if we should have plundered them for more.....

In reality, Atletico defended superbly. For them, the shithousery was medium, in fact way below what i thought was going to happen. Even at 1-0 down i expected more time wasting etc than actually transpired as they definitely saw a 0-1 loss as 'acceptable'. Felipe defended very well and they all put in a good shift. But to not have a shot...... pathetic.

City had a good opening 20 and then laboured a touch in the opening half, some wayward short stuff. Kev completely confused me by being simultaneously the most adventurous and forward thinking player for 60 minutes, plus the important goal, and seemingly not being able to cross or pass 10 yds all night, also missing that chance from 9 yards was a shame for the lad. Weird performance but a match winner! second half was improved by the subs, they brought pace and frustration to Atletico

i think pre-match 1-0 was widely predicted, and a win is a great result against such stubborn opposition, but after the fact you cant help but think that we should have got another. Up the Blues, a good night's work.

Now Simeone has a problem. The same game plan in the second leg will see them eliminated which means he has to change his tactics. People say he can't or won't but he will have to otherwise they are out. That means they won't be playing to their strengths and we should have more chances.

The problem he has is that we are too good at this game plan.

It’s one thing counterattacking United when they lose the ball, but Pep’s been honing this defensive system for 15 years.

If we lose the ball in their third, Rodri and Bernardo instantly go for it and win it back often.

If you get past them you face a bank of 3 defenders. Either you try to dribble through them (not likely) or you go long and Kyle Walker (Aké yesterday) beats whoever you’re going long to in a 1v1.

That’s why they had 0 shots and 0 corners last night, whereas against United they averaged 10 shots and 6 corners in each leg.

We are far too good at this for him to try and play that way again and steal a goal, so he’s going to have to attack, and Atletico have leaked a lot of goals this season trying to attack teams and being left open.

From seeing their big games in Spain this season and vs Liverpool I expect he will play like today for the majority of the match, but at preplanned points in the half he will tell them to go all out attack for 5 or 10 minutes to try and shock us.

Last edited:
The problem he has is that we are too good at this game plan.

It’s one thing counterattacking United when they lose the ball, but Pep’s been honing this defensive system for 15 years.

If we lose the ball in their third, Rodri and Bernardo instantly go for it and win it back often.

If you get past them you face a bank of 3 defenders. Either you try to dribble through them (not likely) or you go long and Kyle Walker (Aké yesterday) beats whoever you’re going long to in a 1v1.

That’s why they had 0 shots and 0 corners last night, whereas against United they averaged 10 shots and 6 corners in each leg.

We are far too good at this for him to try and play that way again and steal a goal, so he’s going to have to attack, and Atletico have leaked a lot of goals this season trying to attack teams and being left open.

From seeing their big games in Spain this season and vs Liverpool I expect he will play like today for the majority of the match, but at preplanned points in the half he will tell them to go all out attack for 5 or 10 minutes to try and shock us.
i cant see it any other way

What a shower of bus parking, clogging, mind numbing cunts, and that Ref was another
disgrace. I hope we batter this fucking crew in the next game.

22:05
Big game player
FT: Man City 1-0 Atletico Madrid

Manchester City
73% of Kevin De Bruyne’s Champions League goals have come in the knockout stage (8/11), which is the highest ratio in history for a player with at least 10 goals in the competition.
Kev has hit form just at the right time. If he somehow wins player of the year again i will laugh my bollocks off at the piss boiling from the red media and youtubers

A good result, absolutely, but I can't help look back and wonder if we should have plundered them for more.....

In reality, Atletico defended superbly. For them, the shithousery was medium, in fact way below what i thought was going to happen. Even at 1-0 down i expected more time wasting etc than actually transpired as they definitely saw a 0-1 loss as 'acceptable'. Felipe defended very well and they all put in a good shift. But to not have a shot...... pathetic.

City had a good opening 20 and then laboured a touch in the opening half, some wayward short stuff. Kev completely confused me by being simultaneously the most adventurous and forward thinking player for 60 minutes, plus the important goal, and seemingly not being able to cross or pass 10 yds all night, also missing that chance from 9 yards was a shame for the lad. Weird performance but a match winner! second half was improved by the subs, they brought pace and frustration to Atletico

i think pre-match 1-0 was widely predicted, and a win is a great result against such stubborn opposition, but after the fact you cant help but think that we should have got another. Up the Blues, a good night's work.
I agree about kdb, at times outstanding and at others frustrating. Quality came through in the end

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.