Atletico (H) | CL QF 1st Leg | Post Match Thread

A good result, absolutely, but I can't help look back and wonder if we should have plundered them for more.....

In reality, Atletico defended superbly. For them, the shithousery was medium, in fact way below what i thought was going to happen. Even at 1-0 down i expected more time wasting etc than actually transpired as they definitely saw a 0-1 loss as 'acceptable'. Felipe defended very well and they all put in a good shift. But to not have a shot...... pathetic.

We had a good opening 20 and then laboured a touch in the opening half, some wayward short stuff. Kev completely confused me by being simultaneously the most adventurous and forward thinking player for 60 minutes, plus the important goal, and seemingly not being able to cross or pass 10 yds all night, also missing that chance from 9 yards was a shame for the lad. Weird performance but a match winner! second half was improved by the subs, they brought pace and frustration to Atletico

i think pre-match 1-0 was widely predicted, and a win is a great result against such stubborn opposition, but after the fact you cant help but think that we should have got another. Up the Blues, a good night's work.

I watched on the tele last night and there were no surprises as far as the analysis from the "expert" co-commentator was concerned - we were treated to a display from the most negative, boring side in the champions league for the last ten years and Keown purred about how wonderful it was, about the endless hours on the training pitch the coach must spend to inculcate such wonderful negativity in his players and how hard a "world class coach" must have to work to perfect a style so different from Pep's! More than one way to play the beautiful gam, eh, Martin?

Teams like Atletico are allowed to exist because of weak officiating and a sympathetic media to such tactics.

There are no laws preventing teams from sitting deep and putting men behind the ball, however, time-wasting, feigning injury, cynical fouling and taking set-pieces from the wrong position can all be eliminated by properly enforcing the laws of the game. Every now and then you might hear before the start of a new season how referees are "clamping down" on a particular unsavoury aspect of the game. Well, how about enforcing all of the rules properly so that we don't ever witness anti-football exhibitions like the one at the Etihad last night?

I don't want to pin the blame completely on the officials so I'll apportion just as much to the so-called "experts" who become apologists for teams with an inferiority complex being allowed to do what they like to level the playing field.

Tbf he was running with the ball! they are both pretty slow though
He should have kicked it further in front of him, there were acres of space there.

He was outpaced by our least mobile player.

He’s supposed to be one of the best forwards in the world.

Going to ask a really naive question.

There was a bunch of Madrid fans who were doing what looked like Nazi arms/Roman salutes walking up to the ground last night. Just seen on Twitter they were doing that in the ground.

Is that sort of arm signal just more generally part of European football or are they literally just the far right being the far right. I'd be shocked to see a City fan or anyone else in English football, but I see it all the time from European fans. Even BNP and other far right groups I've done counter protests against wouldn't do that.

I watched on the tele last night and there were no surprises as far as the analysis from the "expert" co-commentator was concerned - we were treated to a display from the most negative, boring side in the champions league for the last ten years and Keown purred about how wonderful it was, about the endless hours on the training pitch the coach must spend to inculcate such wonderful negativity in his players and how hard a "world class coach" must have to work to perfect a style so different from Pep's! More than one way to play the beautiful gam, eh, Martin?
That's Keown of the 1-0 to the Arsenal team.

Teams like Atletico are allowed to exist because of weak officiating and a sympathetic media to such tactics.

There are no laws preventing teams from sitting deep and putting men behind the ball, however, time-wasting, feigning injury, cynical fouling and taking set-pieces from the wrong position can all be eliminated by properly enforcing the laws of the game. Every now and then you might hear before the start of a new season how referees are "clamping down" on a particular unsavoury aspect of the game. Well, how about enforcing all of the rules properly so that we don't ever witness anti-football exhibitions like the one at the Etihad last night?

I don't want to pin the blame completely on the officials so I'll apportion just as much to the so-called "experts" who become apologists for teams with an inferiority complex being allowed to do what they like to level the playing field.
The free kicks from 15m away from where they were given was the worst. Either they're asked to move it, and then they get another 15 seconds ticked off, or they get an advantage. One warning and start booking them for it.

If you asked Keown for the time, he'd reply "Got to move the ball quicker".

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.