Atmosphere tonight

ethan23 said:
BurnCK said:
fathellensbellend said:
The powers that be are pricing games on the basis that we have the same fan base as United/Liverpool etc, we don't and never will have, its the same people who have to keep digging deep, and for many something has to give.

Well done those that went, and fair play to those who didnt because you missed absolutely nothing, and saved yourself a small fortune.

Everything surrounding a trip to the match is a rip off, why is it a tenner to park your car?, why 7.50 for scabby burger and chips, there is literally no incentive to turn up when the game is on the box.

also, the cup scheme another plan to extract money, ie no away ticket priority without being a member, total bollox, people were earning loyalty points when the champions league was a pipe dream.

also why no price reduction for being on the scheme, the odds are we will ending up paying 40 quid to watch a dead rubber against munich, while the club hand out tickets to any tom dick and harry to not look small time.

i suggest the club invests some time in the fans we have instead of worrying about the fans we don't have, because i honestly believe the people making the decisions are clueless.

Hopefully they will make a start by making the newcastle game a tenner a quid for kids, just like arsenal do for all carling cup games, and they are the masters of taking the piss with prices.

You can park for cheaper than £10...try £5-6. There's plenty of car parks at that price.

Also, don't buy a burger and chips for £7.50....eat at home, or somewhere cheaper on the way. A football match doesn't have to be a full blown day out. Last night cost me £41 in total. Yeah it might be a lot to some people, but hardly the small fortune you claim it to be.

Yeh but to a lot of people everything that surrounds the football match is instrumental in the day, the pub beforehand, meeting with your mates or even family members. Nobody wants to be on a shoe string and constantly worrying about if they can afford the next round

I get what he's saying in regards to parking and food. I park about a mile away from the ground for free and instead of buying an overpriced burger at the ground i get some food at the chippy near Mary Ds saving myself a load of money. Even on snacks or drinks i just bring them into the ground

Part of the issue is actually trying to get to the stadium in time for the KO.

We had to deal with rush hour traffic as well as those going to the game and this added at least an hour for some fans attending.

Once rushing to get to the game people are pissed off and knackered.

We now have a stadium on the other side of town and its murder on night matches getting their.

Damocles said:
fathellensbellend said:
The powers that be are pricing games on the basis that we have the same fan base as United/Liverpool etc, we don't

I agree with that bit emphatically. City are playing the game where they are pretending that we have the drawing power of a team that has been successful for 30 years and it is starting to blow up in their faces. It is a total misunderstanding of who City are as a fanbase and how we should be prioritising different income streams.

We are a working class club from the backarse of Manchester and in terms of matchgoing fans, we skew older than most due to the success of United over the past 20 years and the constant promotion of them through SkyTV. Because we skew older our matchgoing fans can generally stretch their expenses further but it also means that we don't have the next generation of rapid teenagers coming through to bring that enthusiasm because they can't get a ticket. They are either swamped out by a bunch of 50 year olds with 7000000 loyalty points or they cannot afford to pay half their wage for one ticket.

This isn't a problem of City, it's a problem that affects the whole of English football at the top level. It's amazing to me that we see fans singing at Palace and Stoke now and we remark how weird it is where every ground in the country was like that 20 years ago.

The biggest clubs in Germany have shown the way forward and City had the chance to be the first English club to really have a go at this model. They had the club to do it, the commercial revenue streams to do it and the fanbase to do it. Yet they are pretending that they're Arsenal or United instead of just trying to be City. We are not them and no matter how many bullshit bands they put on in City Square or how many bullshit "fun competitions" they do at half time, we don't want to be them and the atmosphere and interest will continue to wane as City continue not to listen to their fans and try to be Manchester United lite instead of Manchester City proper.

bang on - somebody get this to 'head of social media/marketing' or whoever city pay to do surveys.

Damocles said:
fathellensbellend said:
The powers that be are pricing games on the basis that we have the same fan base as United/Liverpool etc, we don't

I agree with that bit emphatically. City are playing the game where they are pretending that we have the drawing power of a team that has been successful for 30 years and it is starting to blow up in their faces. It is a total misunderstanding of who City are as a fanbase and how we should be prioritising different income streams.

We are a working class club from the backarse of Manchester and in terms of matchgoing fans, we skew older than most due to the success of United over the past 20 years and the constant promotion of them through SkyTV. Because we skew older our matchgoing fans can generally stretch their expenses further but it also means that we don't have the next generation of rapid teenagers coming through to bring that enthusiasm because they can't get a ticket. They are either swamped out by a bunch of 50 year olds with 7000000 loyalty points or they cannot afford to pay half their wage for one ticket.

This isn't a problem of City, it's a problem that affects the whole of English football at the top level. It's amazing to me that we see fans singing at Palace and Stoke now and we remark how weird it is where every ground in the country was like that 20 years ago.

The biggest clubs in Germany have shown the way forward and City had the chance to be the first English club to really have a go at this model. They had the club to do it, the commercial revenue streams to do it and the fanbase to do it. Yet they are pretending that they're Arsenal or United instead of just trying to be City. We are not them and no matter how many bullshit bands they put on in City Square or how many bullshit "fun competitions" they do at half time, we don't want to be them and the atmosphere and interest will continue to wane as City continue not to listen to their fans and try to be Manchester United lite instead of Manchester City proper.

bang on - somebody get this to 'head of social media/marketing' or whoever city pay to do surveys.

Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
ethan23 said:
BurnCK said:
You can park for cheaper than £10...try £5-6. There's plenty of car parks at that price.

Also, don't buy a burger and chips for £7.50....eat at home, or somewhere cheaper on the way. A football match doesn't have to be a full blown day out. Last night cost me £41 in total. Yeah it might be a lot to some people, but hardly the small fortune you claim it to be.

Yeh but to a lot of people everything that surrounds the football match is instrumental in the day, the pub beforehand, meeting with your mates or even family members. Nobody wants to be on a shoe string and constantly worrying about if they can afford the next round

I get what he's saying in regards to parking and food. I park about a mile away from the ground for free and instead of buying an overpriced burger at the ground i get some food at the chippy near Mary Ds saving myself a load of money. Even on snacks or drinks i just bring them into the ground

we have someone who needs to be near the stadium, cannot walk far, we also for midweek games because of travel dont have time for anywhere other than in the stadium

ethan23 said:
BurnCK said:
fathellensbellend said:
The powers that be are pricing games on the basis that we have the same fan base as United/Liverpool etc, we don't and never will have, its the same people who have to keep digging deep, and for many something has to give.

Well done those that went, and fair play to those who didnt because you missed absolutely nothing, and saved yourself a small fortune.

Everything surrounding a trip to the match is a rip off, why is it a tenner to park your car?, why 7.50 for scabby burger and chips, there is literally no incentive to turn up when the game is on the box.

also, the cup scheme another plan to extract money, ie no away ticket priority without being a member, total bollox, people were earning loyalty points when the champions league was a pipe dream.

also why no price reduction for being on the scheme, the odds are we will ending up paying 40 quid to watch a dead rubber against munich, while the club hand out tickets to any tom dick and harry to not look small time.

i suggest the club invests some time in the fans we have instead of worrying about the fans we don't have, because i honestly believe the people making the decisions are clueless.

Hopefully they will make a start by making the newcastle game a tenner a quid for kids, just like arsenal do for all carling cup games, and they are the masters of taking the piss with prices.

I agree...if it's a weekend game, I certainly want a few drinks, etc. But for a midweek game I'm quite content with turning up, watching the game and going home. Especially with getting home late and having work the next day.

fathellensbellend said:
Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
ethan23 said:

we have someone who needs to be near the stadium, cannot walk far, we also for midweek games because of travel dont have time for anywhere other than in the stadium

well i was just saying my own situation. I understand for disabled fans its hard to get to the ground. My auntie is and she gets a bus that picks her up and takes her.

St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
City1974 said:
tonea2003 said:
pricing is not an issue for the moscow game with starting at £25 which is more than reasonable

Its not just about any one game being reasonably priced. Its the need for all Match day Tickets and all Season Tickets to be reasonably priced. Some people can just afford a Season ticket but then cannot afford Home cup games on top including the Champs League, even if they may be priced OK.

If the average cost of every game was no more than £ 20 for adults and say £ 15 for 18--21 year olds and £ 10 for 18 and under or 65 and over then there would most likely be close to capacity for all games.

Is it not that the very high wage bill of players and ridiculous transfer fees for players means that even the incredible TV money clubs get, has not been sufficient to cover a clubs operating costs, and thus this has meant them trying to squeeze more out of every supporter. Any club where 50% or more of its income goes on players wages will always struggle with its finances and will look to get out every last penny from its supporters, which in the end will be self defeating as it simply will price more people out of supporting their club.

Are you talking in genral or at City because I can guarantee you our season tickets are fantastic value for money.
It is the Match day pricing which is totally bizarre.
My s.ticket is £600..over the course of the season this equates to just over £30 per game..
Lets look at the reccent games for matchday pricing...at least 20-25 notes more...I would be pretty pissed if I didnt have a season ticket. Obviously you pay a premium but it shouldnt be to that level...There needs to be a balance and it isnt there

Even what is considered reasonable price when compared to other clubs, season tickets can obviously still be expensive for some people.

The club should:
1) look at at least freezing all season ticket costs for the next 3-4 years whilst the stadium expansion goes ahead. Then with the extra capacity introduce as many as they possibly can of the £ 299 season tickets they have spoken of.
2) Make all Prem League home game Matchday tickets no more than say £ 30 for adults, £ 25 for 18-21 year olds and
£ 20 for under 18 and over 65 year olds.
3) Make all Home Cup games (FA Cup, League Cup and European) match day tickets no more than £ 20 for adults, £ 15 for 18-21 years olds and £ 10 for under 18 and over 65, or include all Home Cup games with the season ticket cost.

These would probably help push us towards full or very close to full capacity for all games.

4) Work with\listen to supporters and supporter groups (like 1894) to attempt to introduce designated continuous sections of the stadium for people who want to stand and sing during games and generate a better atmosphere at the ground (and where these sections are allocated for people standing up from their seats and singing, ensure stewards are aware of this and give them some leeway)

5) Ensure City Square Activities finish 25min - half an hour prior to kickoff to encourage fans to go into the ground and have at least 15 mins to start to get an atmosphere going.

These could help with ramping up the atmosphere in the stadium for all games.

Sterility seems to be watchword.

Not sure who is in charge of our "match day experience" or our ticket pricing - but I think the two need to communicate or have serious talk about direction, whilst keeping and considering the proud Manchester roots .

I knew money and the clamour for a global audience would change the experience of going to matches - but it's going too far now.
European matches bring their own limitations on atmosphere - especially at home - no alcohol, the rush from work etc, but in general the matchday experience is sterile now. Perversley the more the club and some bright spark with all the right "speaky" tries to give us a "matchday experience" the worse it becomes. Anything that is contrived like the flagwavers, the "enjoy the game" bluecoats, "hold up your card" etc goes against the very grain of City's core supporters - we make our own gallows humour and atmosphere.
Stupid ideas and rules like not being able to hang flags over the tier are ill thought out and show a complete lack of fan awareness. It's a small thing but it's yet another imposition of sterility from the club.
I genuinely think a lot of people who used to get involved and enjoy the match now just sit there thinking they are so detached from what used to be, that there is a flatness before a ball is kicked.

It isn't a case of one or the other - ie appeasing the miserable core oldies or the new supporters - we have/had a really good Mancunian image - self depricating, proud, loyal - we should encourage the new supporters to buy into what we are rather than try to be MCFC Multiplex Franchise.

Not getting into the who has more support argument - but I would say most of the people I meet in Manchester support City - why not concentrate on getting these people to the games and building up loyalty first rather than fans who would, and in this day and age, understandably, vanish the moment the going gets tough.
There's room for both kind of fans but pricing (special offers for local residents even considered, amongst many other possibilities) and the treatment of fans needs to be handled much much better.

Was a poor atmosphere, but at the price of football now you can't really be surprised.

Last night was a bit of a final straw for me. In 212 there were several Roma fans scattered about, despite the fact there were many empty seats in the away end. When Roma equalised, they all jumped up and celebrated, yet only two of them were taken into the away end, probably so they didn't get leathered by the surrounding blues. Later in the game Roma nearly scored and a few of them on the front row, right next to the away fans border, jumped up ready to cheer. When me and a few blues around me stood up and shouted at the stewards separating the sets of fans to move them, the steward turned around to us and told us to sit down and to a few blues ''took their number''. Eventually they did get moved, but it showed how poorly the fans are treated at football matches. The champions league just isn't how I imagined it would be. The officials are poor, pricing is expensive and brings a wave of tourists and a shit atmosphere, and I'm sorry, but how fucking stupid is it that the main sponsor of the UEFA Champions League is Heineken, yet you aren't even allowed to drink the stuff inside the ground.

Had a look on city voice but that place seems useless, and the mods that reply are just arrogant and condescending. Anyone know if there is someone at the club you can contact about this sort of thing?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.