Attendances

I may be slightly off topic here...so my tin hat has been donned.
There seems to be a paranoia amongst fans, that if there is not a sellout for a home game, it is deemed a disappointment.
This happens irrespective of league position...my lot argue it to death...we average 40k (OK, so there is 8k left at the final whistle before you say it) and we don't exactly grace the top flight with attractive football, yet there are still fans who criticise this attendance.
I've found it similar of this thread.
Yes, you are more successful ....but if it is your team...how relevant is that?
Tv has affected attendances massively....MOTD with highlights of 2/3 games, and a live FA Cup final was all it used to be....yet I live 150 miles from my hometown, and can see every ball kicked.
Then there is the cost...not cheap, especially if kids are in tow...but back to my main point....
What is true of Yourselves, and Sunderland fans....is that there is undying passion, and loyalty to our teams....and they are our teams!!!
Why?
We supported them when we were shit...yep 3rd tier (I actually see my pleasant teams plight as good..10yrs in the prem)...and we will support them come what may.
If City turn shit tomorrow, you will still be there next season, just like my lot...it's called loyalty...not glory seeking.
We averaged 30k at Roker Park in Div 3, and you were similar at Maine Road.
It is harder these days with cost.....but whatever number turns up on match day.....you will always have a loyal and solid fan base....and to me, that is more important than a propoganda fuelled with paranoia around a number printed in the Sunday papers!!

That is about the be all and end all of it.
I've never given the slightest of fucks about our attendances, we have the best fans in the world and as you say even if we became shit again we would still have a brilliant hardcore of fans in our 10s of thousands, all the rest is just filling granted its a very tasty filling these days,
I go for the love of Manchester City I go wild when we score and win and Im pissed off when we conceded and lose, what ever the reason for people missing games I don't care that's their own business, we get excellent attendances and anyone who is s bothered about it is just falling into the rag/media bullshit, the fucktards seem to think because our owners are minted then all the fans should be so everyone can easily afford to go all the time.
Fuck the arse holes that try to belittle us over this, and for our own fans, why are you even bothered.

That is about the be all and end all of it.
I've never given the slightest of fucks about our attendances, we have the best fans in the world and as you say even if we became shit again we would still have a brilliant hardcore of fans in our 10s of thousands, all the rest is just filling granted its a very tasty filling these days,
I go for the love of Manchester City I go wild when we score and win and Im pissed off when we conceded and lose, what ever the reason for people missing games I don't care that's their own business, we get excellent attendances and anyone who is s bothered about it is just falling into the rag/media bullshit, the fucktards seem to think because our owners are minted then all the fans should be so everyone can easily afford to go all the time.
Fuck the arse holes that try to belittle us over this, and for our own fans, why are you even bothered.

^ this ^ all day long , would rather have 30-40 thousands blues , than 659m plastic/armchair/sky subscribers ,because most of us were there when we were shit , and it wasnt all bad to be fair ,i certainly had more laughs at Maine Road , gallows humour and all that , (and the hope of a good cup run !) .But our main worry used to be 40pts , now we are supposed to worry about there being 40 or 4000 empty seats , so some sad rag ,spotty journo can make use of his felt tip pen.

The attendance last night was just under 42,000. 12,000 below our PL average.

Into that 42,000 you have to factor in 3000 official away fans, and at least, being generous, you have to factor in another 500-1000 away fans spread throughout the stadium.

Most of the time the away end is only half full or less with away fans for PL matches, and those other seats are normally bought by other city fans. Let's say 1000.

So, if my maths are correct.

12,000 below our PL average.
500-1000 German fans in our end.
1000 City fans who normally by away seats for a PL match, if the away team don't sell there away allocation.

Rightly or wrongly, I'm sure I will be corrected, there were between 14,000 to 14,500 PL match going City fans missing last night.

Regardless of the reasons, and my post is not about that, don't you think that is pretty alarming, given the ticket prices, which were fair, the importance of the match, as it turned out, etc.

I appreciate there will always be X amount of City fans who don't want to watch a CL match for whatever reason, but 14,000-14,500 missing City fans is.......?

You get a lot missing just purely because it's midweek night match.

League match BEFORE Torpedo Moscow? QPR. 33,278
League match AFTER Torpedo Moscow? Liverpool 33,243
(Torpedo Moscow. Gary Neville's European debut to boot)

Thanks. Had it in my head that capacity was nearer 30,000. Either way, 19,998 for the self-styled world's biggest supported club in a European tie is a fucking piss poor effort. Norwich took something like 10,000 fans to Inter Milan the following season for a match that was played on a fucking Wednesday afternoon.

I get all that mate, and I'm not having a pop at anyone who cannot afford to go. It stretches me, but my fuels paid for, so £20 for a CL match means one less takeaway, that's the way I see it. I also understand your comment about non-regulars, my block in 116 against MGB had literally no familiar faces in it (plenty of Germans), and it deffo affects the "matchday experience". For those like you, who have made a conscious decision to not do Chumps Leaguer fair enough, but plenty of SC holders around me at the Southampton game said "see you at the Gladbach game" but just didn't turn up, so couldn't be arsed. I know full well, draw Barca in the quarters, and they'll be all over it..

Sometimes you just can't get there. I'm in CL scheme and have been to one. Work got in the way of one and my daughters nativity play the other. Whilst it's admirable putting City at the top of your priority list, as I'm sure some others do too, it's not the be all and end all to everyone.

There seems to be a paranoia amongst fans, that if there is not a sellout for a home game, it is deemed a disappointment.
This happens irrespective of league position...my lot argue it to death...we average 40k (OK, so there is 8k left at the final whistle before you say it) and we don't exactly grace the top flight with attractive football, yet there are still fans who criticise this attendance.
Tv has affected attendances massively....MOTD with highlights of 2/3 games, and a live FA Cup final was all it used to be....yet I live 150 miles from my hometown, and can see every ball kicked.
Then there is the cost...not cheap, especially if kids are in tow...but back to my main point....
What is true of Yourselves, and Sunderland fans....is that there is undying passion, and loyalty to our teams....and they are our teams!!!
Why?
We supported them when we were shit...yep 3rd tier (I actually see my present teams plight as good..10yrs in the prem)...and we will support them come what may.
If City turn shit tomorrow, you will still be there next season, just like my lot...it's called loyalty...not glory seeking.
It is harder these days with cost.....but whatever number turns up on match day.....you will always have a loyal and solid fan base....and to me, that is more important than propoganda fuelled with paranoia around a number printed in the Sunday papers!!

Excellent post.

Everyone seems to forget that when the likes of Sunderland and City don't sell out and get 40k+ the attendances are still the size of Anfield or Stamford Bridge.

And we're getting 53k for league games and Sunderland have been poor for a while (no offence) and still get over 40k at least.

People see a few empty seats and go mad about it, without actually comparing how big the attendances are compared to the rest of Europe.

I know this pal but it was never down to 31000 that I do know!! But also look at the seasons before this and you'll get some gaping gaps in attendances.. What I'm trying to say is 20 years of sustained success and properganda have now brought them 70000 plus numpties for most games, but it wasnt always the case. Our crowds over the last few seasons have been far superior to theirs in the early years of their success. And please my mate, never ever defend them horrible fucking bastards!! They would never defend us!!! CTWD

Why?
We supported them when we were shit...yep 3rd tier (I actually see my present teams plight as good..10yrs in the prem)...and we will support them come what may.
It is harder these days with cost.....but whatever number turns up on match day.....you will always have a loyal and solid fan base....and to me, that is more important than propoganda fuelled with paranoia around a number printed in the Sunday papers!!

You averaged 17k in Division Three and TV hasn't affected your attendances, from 1970 - 1992 you averaged 13k - 30k.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.