Attitudes to Disabled People

When my missus was still driving when her ms wasn't as bad as it is now she would park in a disabled bay and display her badge and was often confronted by people who demanded to see her photo on the reverse of her badge and tell her to park elsewhere. She used to tell them to fuck off and call the police if they wanted to see it. It was generally older people who did this and never when I was with her as I am six foot five and would have stuffed their faces down their throat

I can remember being somewhere in Greece years ago with my mum and dad and it was a time of year where the locals have some kind of religious festival, basically sat in a field with shin high grass with lamb being roasted on spits and loads of fat Orthodox priests turning up and eating for free.

There was a bit of dancing to a traditional band later on and people had started to form a circle/line holding hands on the dance floor and all dancing in step etc. I wasn't going near that with Amstel priced at 1 euro a bottle and a huge bag of lamb skewers infront of me but a local lad with Downs syndrome tried to join the line and nobody would take his hand. Never been as proud as I was of my Mum - she got up and grabbed his hand and then grabbed onto someone else in the line so he could be part of it.

I have become somewhat disabled in recent years due to RA. My main problem is my legs. I walk very slowly and wobble! I have to stop every few yards as the pain builds up. Very frustrating for an inveterate hill walker.
The first time I was abused by two blokes for 'being an old twat who can't walk' (their words), I was too shocked to say anything. Thinking about it later, I resolved to fight back.
Some time later I was confronted by a guy about 30ish, giving me grief.
I said to him: "I may be old and knackered now, but when I was in the army I could break your back with ease. I expect I could still do it."
This was a complete lie, I was never in the army, but being unable to physically take guys on, it seemed a good strategy. It worked. He scurried away, shit scared.
In contrast, most ppl are kind and thoughtful. Often, when I am doing one of my stops, usually holding on to a wall or something, ppl come up and ask if I am ok. I take them to be the correct examples of humanity and take heart from their concern.
And don't start on my deafness!
There’ll be rumours that you’re ex-SAS around your way now.

You’ll see two yoofs whispering as you approach and they’ll be saying “see this guy here? he was captured by terrorists once and fought his way out! that limp was from a gunshot when he was getting away”!

My legs are totally shot and I can no longer walk or stand up without holding on to something, else I would fall.

To go out, which I still love to do with my dog, I use my WAV and walk my dog whilst using my mobility scooter.

In the main, people are great with me, but yesterday I suffered total humiliation as I was laughed at by two grown men working on a site.

As I went past, one started to point and laugh and the other said in a voice clearly loud enough for me to hear, there's the dog taking his spazzer out for his fresh air.

Normally, I wouldn't wish my condition on anyone, but yesterday I made an exception.

I shouted back at them, telling them to get fucked, but they scampered off.

Some people just cannot help but take the piss out of Disabled people, for those that do it, words fail me.
That's a hate crime mate. Ring the dibble and tell them

It's terrible to hear this goes on still, that this kind of mentality is still around. As others have said, it's their problem not yours. Some people live in a backwards toxic environment it seems and it just oozes out from them.

Next time you go past, if rules allowed, then I'm sure a couple of dozen blues from here would walk with you and your dog, see if the cowards have anything to say to us all. I'm guessing "Enjoy your day, sir" would be about it. Don't let it get to you, be bigger than it, and thankful that you're not them.

I have become somewhat disabled in recent years due to RA. My main problem is my legs. I walk very slowly and wobble! I have to stop every few yards as the pain builds up. Very frustrating for an inveterate hill walker.
The first time I was abused by two blokes for 'being an old twat who can't walk' (their words), I was too shocked to say anything. Thinking about it later, I resolved to fight back.
Some time later I was confronted by a guy about 30ish, giving me grief.
I said to him: "I may be old and knackered now, but when I was in the army I could break your back with ease. I expect I could still do it."
This was a complete lie, I was never in the army, but being unable to physically take guys on, it seemed a good strategy. It worked. He scurried away, shit scared.
In contrast, most ppl are kind and thoughtful. Often, when I am doing one of my stops, usually holding on to a wall or something, ppl come up and ask if I am ok. I take them to be the correct examples of humanity and take heart from their concern.
And don't start on my deafness!
Pardon??

It's terrible to hear this goes on still, that this kind of mentality is still around. As others have said, it's their problem not yours. Some people live in a backwards toxic environment it seems and it just oozes out from them.

Next time you go past, if rules allowed, then I'm sure a couple of dozen blues from here would walk with you and your dog, see if the cowards have anything to say to us all. I'm guessing "Enjoy your day, sir" would be about it. Don't let it get to you, be bigger than it, and thankful that you're not them.
You've only got to hear what goes on on twitter with all these wankers who are brave from a distance. Don't let these cowardly twats ruin people's lives and destroy confidence because they haven't got the bollocks one on one to do it

When my missus was still driving when her ms wasn't as bad as it is now she would park in a disabled bay and display her badge and was often confronted by people who demanded to see her photo on the reverse of her badge and tell her to park elsewhere. She used to tell them to fuck off and call the police if they wanted to see it. It was generally older people who did this and never when I was with her as I am six foot five and would have stuffed their faces down their throat
get this most weeks when i drive the mrs anywhere. Bog standard retort of, ''what the fuck's it got to do with you'' now comes out without me thinking.

I have a blue badge and it is a weird thing , people dont accept that you dont have to be in a wheelchair to have one and look all suspiciously at you , it is the old who point fingers and i have to!d a few to get fucked over the years

My legs are totally shot and I can no longer walk or stand up without holding on to something, else I would fall.

To go out, which I still love to do with my dog, I use my WAV and walk my dog whilst using my mobility scooter.

In the main, people are great with me, but yesterday I suffered total humiliation as I was laughed at by two grown men working on a site.

As I went past, one started to point and laugh and the other said in a voice clearly loud enough for me to hear, there's the dog taking his spazzer out for his fresh air.

Normally, I wouldn't wish my condition on anyone, but yesterday I made an exception.

I shouted back at them, telling them to get fucked, but they scampered off.

Some people just cannot help but take the piss out of Disabled people, for those that do it, words fail me.
Sorry that happened to you , try not to let it linger in your head and dent your confidence , morons will be morons , it was not personal

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.